Revell Dream liner

Hi,

I have purchased the Revell Dream Liner kit ex Zvezda, and having never built a civil airliner in my life I would like to know if anyone has any hints on the best way to go about getting a good result.  I'm not a novice by any means but have never built this type of model.  I've got a set of after market Norwegian Airlines decals.  I will be at Telford next weekend so I will be seeking out the SIG's and other civil airliner groups for answers to any question that arise.

Thanks in advance

Phill

Welcome to the wonderful world of model airliners Phil.

There are as many ways to build airliners as there are airliner modellers so I'll offer a few thoughts on the basis that they are just my personal opinion and not any sort of gospel. 

Start by searching "all content" for "Boeing 787" which will throw up several articles by Britmodeller members who have built the kit. Unfortunately many of them will have fallen victim to the Photobucket ransom scam a few months ago and the photos will be missing but you will still be able to read the comments.  This thread still has its photos and a bit over half way down the modeller explains how he did the very impressive engines.  I am planning a 787 myself (probably in Qatar livery) and I'll certainly be following his advice.  Britmodeller also has an excellent Walkround section which includes some superb pictures of the intimate bits of an ANA Dreamliner if you want to push the detailing boat out.

The first decision you have to make is whether to build with transparent windows or fill them and use decals.  Authentic Airliners Decals make superb 3D window decals for a wide range of airliners including the 787 and I'll be using them on my model but some people prefer transparencies so it's your choice.  If you are thinking of filling the windows use Milliput or Isopon P38, not Green Putty, Revell Plasto or anything else solvent-based.

Most UK-resident airliner modellers use Halfords paint.   Appliance White is the go-to gloss white for many of us.  Some modellers get excellent results spraying from the can but personally I prefer to decant and airbrush it although I do spray Halfords primer from the can.  You can get various colours of primer - I normally use Grey Plastic Primer because it has excellent covering qualities and I think it's the best for showing up flaws but many other modellers prefer white primer.  A selection of Micromesh polishing cloths is a great help to getting a good final finish - I use various grades between 3600 and 12000.

The most important thing is that you enjoy building the model and get a result you're happy with.  Don't hesitate to come back here with any questions or requests for information.  We're a pretty friendly bunch and if we can help we will.

Dave G

• Like 3

My only tip is to continue the window theme. I always fill in now, including the cockpit. For the cockpit, after fuselage halves are joined fiut the glazing and sand and fill to a smooth finish for the decal. Well, that's the theory but I'm not very good at the practice

Oh, yes before that for cabin windows, a really good tip I picked up on this very forum is to put masking tape on the outside and fill from the inside. Stops wasting a lot of filler and saves time on the sanding

But enjoy and the Dreamliner is a stunningly good looker. At the risk of uproar I'd say its the Spitfire of airliners

• Like 1

Thank you both for your help with this kit.  I've ordered a set of the authentic decals and have masked and filled the cabin windows with white fine Milliput.  I am making the assumption that I have to fill the cockpit window in as well.  The decals look amazing.  

Dave G I apologise for calling you Dan. 

On 05/11/2017 at 2:07 PM, Manic Modeller said:

Thank you both for your help with this kit.  I've ordered a set of the authentic decals and have masked and filled the cabin windows with white fine Milliput.  I am making the assumption that I have to fill the cockpit window in as well.  The decals look amazing.  

Dave G I apologise for calling you Dan. 

Hi Phil

Sorry I didn't see this until now.  Don't worry about the name, I've been called a lot worse!

I'm with Mjwomack - I would fit the windscreen and putty over it as required.  Superfine Milliput is my own preferred filler although the long drying time can be a nuisance.  Isopon P38 (from Halfords or any auto-accessory shop) is good if you want something that dries fast and sands beautifully.  Unfortunately it's extremely smelly and its rapid drying means that you can have a lot of waste.   For smaller imperfections ordinary superglue applied with a pin can be an effective filler but you must ensure you sand it the moment it dries and before it gets to the stage of being harder than the surrounding plastic.

Dave G

• Like 1