Avro Shackleton AEW.2, Revell

33 minutes ago, Lord Riot said:

How do you do the sprue stretching thing, just melt it? It must be hard not to snap it though?

Internet has hundreds of ways of stretching sprue.........anytime theres ANYTHING you want to know about modelling, internet and especially Youtube is your best friend.....................Get Google up and enter "STRETCH SPRUE" and you will get lots and lots of guys showing you on video how to do a multitude of things, especially STRETCH SPRUE......................just to show you, here one I got up in seconds ..............see how you go

56 minutes ago, Lord Riot said:

How do you do the sprue stretching thing, just melt it? It must be hard not to snap it though?

I used to be scared of this, but it comes to you quite quickly when you give it a whirl.

Get loads of good runner free lengths of sprue (the Revell Shack kit is good for this!) and just practice with it.  Great fun, and don't be scared to go hair thin with it.

Others here (or, as Ray says above) can advise on the technique far better than I can, one thing I would say, is use a proper candle rather than those tea light thingies.

Another fun thing is making the stretched sprue nice and taught once in position by using a very quick and gentle heat source - great to watch!

Shack is coming on very nicely!

• Like 2

Thanks Bill! 

It’s a great kit to build too, the parts fit together really well so even someone relatively ham-fisted like me can make it look reasonable, hopefully!

Shackletons are such beautiful aircraft with so many extra features they’re good subjects aren’t they. I think it’ll stand out well once the decals are on. I’d like to try an Airfix MR2 soon.

• Like 1