Avro Shackleton AEW.2, Revell

I remember I desperately wanted a Shackleton when I was a kid. It's brilliant we've now got Revell and Airfix making them!

My initial thoughts on opening this were it has a lot of parts! I don't know if anyone else has found this too, but where the pieces join the sprues the plastic is quite thick - it needs careful cutting so as not to snap thin parts or leave tears on larger parts where they were attached.

Apart from that though, what an amazing kit this looks! Beautiful lines on the surfaces, and so far fitting together well. I'm going to use satin dark sea grey spray for the bulk of it, I'll mask the transparencies and leave the props, etc off until the end. 

Impressive amount of detail for the interior ...

fkcolw.jpg

• Like 6

I am looking for this too, but Humbrol say it has been discontinued  - 0 why, why why?

But I have ordered 2 cans from Hobbysector in Portugal and I hope that it is on its way to me. A bit more expensive than in the UK but not dramatically so.

John

• Like 1

On 07/11/2017 at 13:07, Max Headroom said:

I’m sure Airfix do a rattlecan of DSG.

Trevor

Sold out unfortunately, like every other website. I don’t understand why it’s so hard to find! 

Isn't the AEW2 supposed to be Extra Dark Sea Grey?

It is what I used on mine back in the day, I was certain the EDSG was quoted as the right scheme back then

I have read that Humbrol 123 is the required colour, this matters to me because I'm doing ESDG on my Buccaneer

Probably

• Like 1

Dark Sea Grey is the correct colour, as applied to the MR Shackletons.  You won't be needing the sonobuoy launchers which I think Revell have depicted as a block of small transparencies just ahead of the observation blister on the starboard side.

Steve, that is incorrrect, Shackletons always used EDSG, be they MRs, or AEWs.  The only exceptions were the early mainly white aircraft.

It is odd how often this colour gets misinterpreted, possibly because it was the only RAF type to use EDSG (known for Navy use), as opposed to DSG on most other RAF types.

Edited by 71chally

3 minutes ago, stever219 said:

Dark Sea Grey is the correct colour, as applied to the MR Shackletons.  You won't be needing the sonobuoy launchers which I think Revell have depicted as a block of small transparencies just ahead of the observation blister on the starboard side.

That's great, thanks for the tip Steve! And the colour confirmation. I've read both DSG and EDSG, but I'm sure somewhere the concensus favoured DSG (satin).

8 minutes ago, 71chally said:

Steve, that is incorrrect, Shackletons always used EDSG, be they MRs, or AEWs.  the only exceptions were the early mainly white aircraft

James I fear that you and I are going to have to agree to disagree, all of my references give Dark Sea Grey as the colour.

Lord Riot, it is up to you what colour you choose to paint your model, but historical record does bother me.

I have researched the Shackleton most of my life, have been involved in a restoration project, have type APs and RAF paint manuals for the type - Shackletons were painted in Extra Dark Sea Grey BSC381-640, be they MR or AEWs

If that is the concensus so be it, it is your model

BUT

Chally is right, the AEW2 Shackletons were painted in Extra Dark Sea Grey not Dark Sea Grey

Dark Sea Grey was only applied to the early white and grey scheme, Maritime Reconnaissance airframes

• Like 1

You will find that you are both right?  They were painted xtra dark sea grey(satin) on delivery and after refurbishments, but,.................... after a short period of time, with being based near the coast and doing coastal patrols, work load ....this xtra dark sea grey tended to fade and before you knew it, most of the colours had bleached to just plain dark sea grey, BUT the true initial delivery ciolour was extra dark sea grey, so........seems both of you are right, just depends on the time scale relating to time at sqdn your modelling

• Like 2

Sorry guys I was wrong - I shouldn't rely on my memory I guess!

It is BS381C-638 glossy Dark Sea Grey, that is straight from AP119A-0601-1E.  Humbrol 164 would be correct, it can be found in spray form.

I should have remembered this and I think the debate (at least in my mind!) springs from how dark the AEWs can appear in some photos, especially when they were newer and appeared more glossy.

Apologies to you @Lord Riot and @stever219, and sorry @perdu but they are correct on this. 

The grey used on the mainly white scheme was BS381-637 Medium Sea Grey.

Humbrol pie well and truly eaten!

• Like 1

I'm more confused than you are James

When I modelled mine (Early eighties) the colours were always stated as Extra DSG for Shack AEW2s

With mine on the Comp table at the IPMS Nats was another Frog Conversion to AEW and we both had used ESDG as the main scheme

That was in 1983 so during the in-service dates

If I build another (If, isn't likely!) I would still use the colour I believe to be right  :(

I'm tired and as I have just proved my judgement isn't great tonight Bill!

My personal interpretation - the Shack grey colour has always been a well discussed subject.  I think the EDSG business arose from visual interpretations of the colour, it is dark and somehow looks darker than the DSG used on combat types.  I don't know whether that is down to the relatively glossy finish or the sheer expanse of it all.

I think in later times as the APs and manuals have come more into the public domain, this has found to be actually Dark Sea Grey.

I've just been looking at another thread on here about EDSG and it shows an official paint chip card, I was surprised at how similar (on a PC at least) DSG and EDSG actually appear to be.

I guess it can come down to personal interpretation as to which shade is chosen for a kit, I think I have used EDSG on a Frog kit, but my latest Revell one was in DSG.  using both might be good way of interpreting a slightly weathered example.

But for the record, the AP does state DSG.

• Like 1