MarkSH's NF104 - Completed

MarkSH

Just finished the foiling and given it a coat of Klear, temporarily mounted on the display base which I have drilled out for the acrylic rod which has been cut to length, the base now has to be primed and given a nice gloss black finish (engraved nameplate in the post).

The next job is to test print the decals sheet and double check the sizes.

38151760515_9a94f1ec28_b.jpg

Cheers, M

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the comments chaps, had a bit of a set back a couple of days ago by knocking the sensor boom off and disrupting the foiling on the nose whilst applying some decals:angry:, so some remedial action is ongoing may have to strip some of the foil off to enable a more secure fitment and sanding. I never get through a build without some hamfistedness (not even vino induced this time) but I thought I was on the home straight, ah well such things serve to make us stronger.

Just to show that the Christmas break isn't all mince pies and brandy here is a small update on the decals and the nose repair job.

The decals are a mix of kit and home-print which have been much more problematic than one would have hoped I have tried both a spray lacquer (Halfords) and Microscale Liquid decal film with mixed results the film has to be thick enough to prevent water contacting the ink but it is much more obvious when trying to get the decal to settle using microset & sol. I have had a couple of minor 'Bleeds' which will have to be touched up but in the main it's getting there. Obviously I have had to paint white behind the various badges on the fuselage and tail and that doesn't look too bad.

The nose repair is passable but the black anti-glare decal covers it quiet well.

I am in to minds as to whether to apply all of the stencilling as I feel it might break up the lines of the aircraft too much and as I'm displaying it in flight I'd like it too look as sleek as possible, what do you guys think?

27578029939_1131b9d899_b.jpg

That's all for now.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 5

Good job Mark, glad to see you managed to sort all the small damages the model suffered.

A few thoughts: homemade decals are always tricky, personally I've given up on inkjets a long ago and moved to a laser printer. I feel inkjets can actually print better, but not having to coat the artwork makes for a good change... still, you managed to get very good results with yours even with all the bleeding problems

Stencils can easily spark a debate, and IMHO natural metal Starfighters are one of those subjects where their presence can lead to many doubts, as I've seen for my own model.

Many kit manufactuters supply stencils that are simply too large and therefore show up a lot while pictures of the real thing often don't seem to show anything. On my 104 I ended up printing some myself smaller and I was happy with the result, if you don't want to go through the hassle, I'd probably just leave the small ones off

• Like 1

Thanks Giorgio, I have to say I agree, the stencilling always seems to be far too prominent and as I said it all serves to clutter and dominate a scale model. I think I'll put some of the larger ones on but leave off all the little bitty ones. The look I was hoping to achieve was as per the cover of the main reference I have been using and very little small scale detail can be seen a bit like a desk top model.

Cheers,

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Calling this finished. quite happy overall but not sure I'd do it again at 1/72 could be an interesting and more exacting project at a larger scale but not for a while.

Thanks for watching and all the helpful advice.

Cheers,

Mark.

27884943549_9af357b254_b.jpg

• Like 8

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...