Flashy CF-104 (Hasegawa 1/48) - now with Flashy Italian

gingerbob

Well, here we are!  If I remember right, the F-104J (as a kit) is the one with the right configuration for a Canadian bird.  I do have a G, as well, so I'll have to brush up on such things.  I'll also have to figure out how to post photos in a post-Photobucket world- I haven't done anything to speak of (in model land) since spring, but now that I'm settling in to a new job, and the long hours of darkness, it is time to start mistreating plastic again...

I've got the decal (which one I shall make you wonder for a while), and as I recall a resin main gear well, which I may or may not use.  I will try to resist the natural urge to use some of the Daco correction/augmentation stuff.  Hmm, I should see if Squadron has that Daco stuff available...

Edited by gingerbob
  • Like 3

Hi Gingerbob,

I look forward to seeing your CF-104 come together. You are right that you can build a CF-104 from the J kit as it has the main gear doors without the bulges which you need, but if you are building a later CF-104 you will also need the sensors which fit under the nose and on either side of the rear fuselage and are quite noticeable.

Thanks.  I don't really want to have to buy the whole shebang, though I did ask a friend who is going to Telford to see if he could get me one or two A Sprues!  I also dug a Monogram C out of the box-o-scrap (handed over by a friend) and crudely compared Hasegawa wing to the Monogram (couldn't do it precisely)- they seemed to be about the same, dimensionally.  The Monogram is too far along to qualify for the GB, but I'm tempted to bring it along for the ride- would love to do it in NASA markings, as the one at NASM, but haven't yet tracked down decals.

Still haven't gotten the new pic-posting era sorted out, but I woke up even earlier than the usual too darned early, and thought, "I feel like gluing some bits together."  So I've made an actual start to my project, so far gluing together five parts to comprise PART of the ejection seat.  I'm really not a fan of the Hasegawa/Eduard school of "Wait- we could break this component down into even more parts!"  No matter, I can adapt- at least the sprue attachments are nice and petite, unlike some kits I've fiddled with lately!

Now, what else can I stick together?  Hey nose cone, c'mere!

• Like 2

Well, that new job I was settling into vanished in a puff of medical liability paranoia (Funny, they hired me knowing I was seeing a chiropractor, but then fired me because they didn't think my back could take working on their boat...)  Was off at "Equine Affaire" for the last 3 days (think Oshkosh for horse enthusiasts).  And today a Hobby Boss F4U-4 arrived in the post to go with the cool decals I recently bought.  But I will remain strong!

I did glue the nosecone, and also "welded shut" the speed brakes.  They didn't fit perfectly, but I did my best and they don't fit perfectly on real airplanes, either.  (One low corner I had to drill a wee hole behind, and use the bit to push it out to be (I hope) flush.)

Hi all,

Still no pics, but I did sign up with one of the hosting sites yesterday.  I took a couple of pics of my two Hasegawa kits, with the built(ish) Monogram F-104.  But then I forgot to transfer them to the computer, and my wife deleted them before dumping the camera's load onto a disc! 

I gave in to temptation (oh, big surprise there!) and ordered some Daco goodies.  And a query on Hyperscale looks to have turned up the decals I wanted, so I'll now be attempting an F-104S to go with the CF-104.

Still a little preoccupied with wondering how to pay the bills in a couple of weeks (in other words, needing to find work), but also hoping to get organized on with some zoomy jet construction.  Somehow this F-104 thing spilled over into thinking about a Draken (Christmas present- 'tis the season) so I'll rely on Jens to help keep me from getting the two mixed up.  Let's see, both fairly early cool jets, but one has no wing and the other is all wing.

bob

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

A nice box was at the post office today- thanks Danny!  I also received decals for the F-104S the other day- thanks Larry (@ReccePhreak)!

Here's a nice page about my (second) choice, mainly so that I can find it again, but also for viewer enjoyment.  That's me leaning casually on the pitot in one shot (not).

I confess I haven't done anything useful on the actual models lately- still in a funk/panic about employment, or rather money.  (If I had the latter, I wouldn't care about the former...)  I have to say, though, that you chaps make it look very easy to get to the "gee whiz, look at that pointy fuselage!" stage, and now I don't have the excuse of waiting for possible alternate parts.

Edited by gingerbob
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Well, another spectacular failure on my part.  The good news is that I made some progress toward having viable projects (perhaps most significantly, finding a reason... make that excuse... to order some DACO goodness) but I just couldn't get any momentum going.

I've enjoyed watching other people's progress, and certainly haven't given up on the notion of building a couple of F-104s.  Oh look, the Hawker GB is beginning shortly!  Maybe I can dust off the Hurricane I didn't build the last time around :unsure:

bob

• Like 1