HMS Belfast

salmo G

Hi Kris

No its resin from the Flyhawk set, nice detail but I needed to remove the rear floor and have to cut down the deckhouse that sits under it for it to fit properly. The white on the front face is just plastic card built up to increase the diameter of the barbette as its too small and the turret overhangs the edges when it should be flush. Surprisingly ALL the barbettes are too small but the rear ones appear a different size to the front ones? go figure!

one step forward, two steps back springs to mind as an apt phrase for the last week.......

• Molds are made and look fine, however when i went to start casting I found my supply of resin has gone off! so I now need to order some more.
  • Bridge fittings are assembled from the uber fiddly Northstar items and looked okish, at least untill I dropped them.......
  • Finally I have chose a base and made a start on its assembly, looks like theres abit of room left in one corner? really hoping santa brings me something small and minesweeperish in shape to fill it!

38993312681_4683fe9432_k.jpg38957143432_70e00d76d4_k.jpg24129354947_b5f66e3c2f_k.jpg38920595382_dd8a50a1aa_k.jpg

• Like 6

Hi Nick

I quite like painting wood decks as i think most (maybe not all, I have been eyeing the scaledecks.com blank decks up for some time) real wood decks look a little out of scale with their grain showing and seme times the depth of wood is also a little unrealistic. basic procedure I use

• Spray a light "beige" colour on and mottle it with a lighter shade. For this build I used GSI sail, but any suitable colour would do
  • Pick out individual planks with various similar colours mixed from the vallego range (I usually use about 4 different colours, 3 lighter and one darker)
  • Gloss the deck
  • Add an oil paint wash to gather in the recesses, then wipe off after an hour or so (just as aircraft modellers do to highlight panel lines)
  • Add a final misting with a VERY dilute mix of the base colour.

The deck on the bridge superstructure is at the wash stage, as you can see the actual painting of the planks does not have to be too neat, the final misted coat ties everything together.

Bit more progress to report, the resin I ordered turned up earlier today and I have been busy casting various bits n pieces, also got some basic paint on the bridge in the last few days, hoping to39089987341_182aa7ac74_k.jpg39089979471_73adafc838_k.jpg27312631789_d0724940a2_k.jpg39059411702_27aab96c3d_k.jpg have a free day tomorrow and maybe get the bridge attached to the hull.

• Like 7

had a reasonably productive day, finished the 3 turrets and got them mounted, tidied up the basic bridge paintwork and added the upper bridge unfortunatly i had not noticed there was an overlap either side so out with the filler and another round of sanding/painting to follow...... also added the catapult and have a healthy pile of smaller fittings all painted and ready to fit once i finally glue the supersture in place (its just resting in the shots below) also got a few of the castings i made tided up and ready for paint.

24255555867_1cf1de496a_k.jpg39116412551_275cf62455_k.jpg39085154682_27b373f11f_k.jpg

• Like 6

Hi Andrew

The turrets are based on the kit ones however I added the master trunnion inserts and the flyhawk roof plate (not 100% accurate tbh) The barrells are from the flyhawk set. Fittings at the front for the barrell deflectors are flyhawk and plastic rod and the strut on the roof is brass rod (not 100% sure what this is, suspect it may be some sort of periscope) I made one of these up for my gambia build and and made a mold, just cast extras now when I need them in resin.

27416996669_cf25865b45_k.jpg38317114365_b020455e28_k.jpg

Hi all

Managed to get the forward superstructure/bridge fixed in place last night and spent a happy hour or three today adding all the small fittings that I had painted, apart from the directors/hacs and radars this part is amost finished now.Got a production line set up for carley floats which may take a while to add as they are tedious! now I really must get back to work on the boat deck and decide what to do ref the great funnel scandle......

39166136212_7d70694e41_k.jpg

• Like 13

Looking good! This project seems to be advancing very quickly. 👍

As you seem to have an excellent grip on this maritime modelling business, I would request that you please post lots of photos and notes on how to deal with the display base. I’m coming up to this stage my AE2 build and think I need all clues and help I can get. 

Congratulations on the build so far.

Steve

Merry Christmas all.

Thanks for all the kind words, Managed a few hours over the break,

• Assembled 4 of the 4" twin mounts from Northtar, very detailed but tricky to assemble. they also dont match the type fitted to belfast so in theory i should modify the shields, still not decided if I can be bothered yet..... waiting for the extra two on order to finish these off.
  • Most of the carley floats are now cast and ready in blocks.
  • Boat deck is just about done, only need to tidy up the new walls and add some stiffeners, this whole part is really a bit of a nightmare from Trumpy, nothing seems to fit and detail is basic at best and I havent the slightest clue where they got their info for the doors over the torpedo tubes!

Hoping to have the boat deck finished and painted by the beginning of 2018, we will see!

and look for santa brought me! yahoo something to keep Belfast company on that base!

25470302758_0a3229ef70_k.jpg38631441564_385c400683_k.jpg39291284811_bdad45b991_k.jpg

• Like 5

That's looking spot on. The attention to detail and the additions are looking brilliant. I do like what you've done to the turrets.

Can't wait to see what you do with the Algerine, it's on my wish list and looks like a cracking kit.

Geoff

Bit more progress to report.

Last main turret is finished, central deck section is finally painted and glued in place, no easy task however as non of the bits really fitted together and my choice of adding bulges to the side of the hull meant a lot of extra scratchbuilding work to extend this.Ive also added a few hatch's lockers, ladders etc and made some more progress with the base.

Ive been looking at the funnels and still can't decide how to procede....... neither the Trumpeter or Flyhawk funnels seem quite right and while the Flyhawk ones have some nice rivit detail I suspect i will end up using the kit ones cut about to closer match what I see in the photo's, for what its worth I think the funnels as shown by Trumpeter are the wrong profile in plan and perhaps more visible is the fact the rear funnel seems much deeper than the front one, measuring photo's and plans it does appear to be very slightly deeper but nowhere near the differnece of the kit parts. Hopefully the next update will show which way I decide to go!

38605675895_1b0c4a7a9f_k.jpg39501371241_8fe9aff7f9_k.jpg25631314768_b97b9e9fe5_k.jpg27724986929_dcebdb83f3_k.jpg

• Like 10

Very nice, a lot of good work going on.

I must add that they keep saying HMS Belfast was the 1st ship to open up on the Germans on D-Day. I knew an old man who was on the Destroyer, HMS Jervis and they were first to "unload" on the Germans, cheering after the first shots went out, proud of their start to the  day. I mentioned that HMS Belfast is supposed to have been the first.. I got a 20 minute broadside ! Great bloke, full of "Salty Tales" and worth spending time with. He was red with rage telling me this and that,slur on his Ship and crew. I suppose he could be wrong but he was convicing,drawing maps and courses etc. I'm ex RAF what would I know?

Sadly he died just after his wife of 62 years, heartbroken 8 years ago or I could get it all down for typing here.

RIP Gerald

Edited by bzn20
  • Thanks 1

Hi Nick

The main base is polystyrene, with plastic card edging and smoothed polyfilla to seal the edges. i am presently adding torn up bits of paper and once covered will start the painting process.  I am using one of the methods used by Chris Flodberg, if you've not seen his work check it out! most realistic seascapes i've ever seen. This is only my second attempt so no idea how it will turn out.......

• Like 2

On ‎07‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 9:35 PM, salmo G said:

Hi Nick

The main base is polystyrene, with plastic card edging and smoothed polyfilla to seal the edges. i am presently adding torn up bits of paper and once covered will start the painting process.  I am using one of the methods used by Chris Flodberg, if you've not seen his work check it out! most realistic seascapes i've ever seen. This is only my second attempt so no idea how it will turn out.......

Thanks Salmo, really helpful, and I'll check out the Chris Flodberg info. My next ship is going to be HMS Hood and I want to try a more dynamic seascape than my previous ones.

Cheers

Nick

Bit more progress to report, I now have the base almost finished, the ships are resting on it for the attached shots and will sit deeper into it once finally added, when they are added I will then add cotton wool to represent white water/wave crests. C hris Flodburg actually recommends Rayon for this which seem to be a synthetic type of cotton wool, anyone any idea where i may get hold of any???)

I have also bit the bullet and tackled the funnels, I used the kit ones for both despite the Flyhawk ones having better rivet detail, sanded the rib pattern off and increased the depth of the front funnel with plastic card and milliput (its the mustard coloured one in the attached pics) I have made this just a mm or so less deep than the rear funnel as all the good side on photos i can find seem to show a very minimal difference in size whereas the kits funnels are distinctly different sizes......

Also got the last piece of superstructure under the rear funnel built (boiler vents, rails, doors added etc), tbh this is one area I have been unable to find many pics of, I know the kit and Flyhawk representations of the rear boat supports is wrong but finding out exactly what is there is proving problematic (the aots book which has been a good guide for the rest of the build is also not too clear about this area) I think I will end up trying to copy the structure present in the WEM set for this area.

24797453057_b933e57246_k.jpg38957537444_1737d58abe_k.jpg27887632219_bf077d0643_k.jpg24797883757_7ea913af15_k.jpg38769740215_82bd8dc3be_k.jpg

• Like 10

I absolutely Love how you've done the seascape - the minesweeper certainly gives a sense of scale.  What colours did you use to get that Blue sea effect, which really has turned out perfectly?  And which acrylic medium?

Belfast looks superb.  This is very impressive!!

Rob