1/32 Revell Lee Tank M3

sunray

Top job! I love the satin finish, which to me always looks more realistic for dark colours over metal. Nice weathering too. Yes, a few overdone rust streaks here and there, but they're not so bad as to need 'repairing'.

An excellent set of photos too.

I'll be looking out for your next project.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

Thanks chaps.  I agree about the rust.  When I finished adding the rust spots I realised I hadn't any thinner and as I was going out on the town with the lads, I thought I would sort it another day.  I proceeded to forget about it and remembered after I had given it a few coats of Klear.  In a word, bugger.  I think there is a lesson there somewhere.  Oh well never mind.  On a positive note the brush I used which was one of my favourites, went solid due to the lack of thinners.  So I borrowed a bar of artists soap off the wife and found that it was easy to bring it back to life as good as new.  Its good for enamels, oils and acrylics.

The kit only cost a few pounds off ebay.  I would of preferred the Airfix one as the tracks are nearer the mark than the Revell one plus the Revell decals on this kit are naff.  The "Stars & Stripes" and the tank serial numbers decals are homemade as the kit decals just would not settle and eventfully fell apart but its all part of the fun.   

12 minutes ago, sunray said:

The "Stars & Stripes" and the tank serial numbers decals are homemade

Well, they are extremely good for homemade! How DID you make them?

13 minutes ago, sunray said:

I proceeded to forget about it and remembered after I had given it a few coats of Klear.

You could always go back and apply a dark wash over the worst of the rust patches? The worst (and it isn't THAT bad really, is the patch round the 3 bolts just in front of the 2nd bogey on the right hand side. (right hand side if you are sitting in the tank)

Rearguards

Badder

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Badder said:

Well, they are extremely good for homemade! How DID you make them?

You could always go back and apply a dark wash over the worst of the rust patches? The worst (and it isn't THAT bad really, is the patch round the 3 bolts just in front of the 2nd bogey on the right hand side. (right hand side if you are sitting in the tank)

Rearguards

Badder

Thanks mate.  For the decals, if you click on the build link at the start of the thread approx half way down the first page I give a step by step description of what I did, used, where I got it from and cost.  I have just had a quick look at your diorama's which are very impressive and I think making your own decals will help with scale posters, adverts, signs, etc.  Believe it or not they are not hard to do.  If I can help just let me know.  As for the rust patches I think I will just leave it alone as I have started my next kit but thanks anyway. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 04/11/2017 at 8:59 PM, Buzby061 said:

Lovely work all round. 

I remember doing the Monogram British Grant many moons ago, didn't turn out as well as yours though. 

Pete

Thanks Pete.  I had a go at the Airfix 1/32 Grant years ago when I had more hair.  I never finished it due to the fact I discovered girls.  I tried to find one on ebay but came across the Lee instead and for its age the detail is still sharp and everything fits.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

In the holiday season I get time to catch up with the builds that I had missed. It's a delight to see this old war-horse of a kit get some love and you've really done well with it. It looks like it's made the hard hot ride from Oran to Tunisia. Due to it's age some of the detail mouldings are a bit crude but the shape and proportions are pretty close and it's still a worthwhile builder.

A small detail; you've used a 50 star flag, perhaps you can change that.

• Like 1