Parip's KUTA ***finished***

parip

Hi 

I will try to clear some of these models during GB(anything more than zero will do).

38147147681_16302abd8b_c.jpg

Models are in various stages, some being almost there, some not so close.

I will be starting with Buffalo.

The story behind the kit is following, few years back when my parents in love were visiting us, my father in love asked if he could give it a go with one of the kits, I said sure you can try with this one, and handed over Airfix box. He open the box, looked into instructions, I gave him few tips, show him where tools, glue, and paints are, wish him luck and went to work.

When I was back home kit was already built... Few parts did not fit and he could not figure out how to install so he left them off. Luckily these were canopy and engine parts. Nothing was painted (I don't blame him for not figuring out airfix color coding). When they went back home slow process of reconstruction has begun. I was working on this kit in between builds, so whenever I had color which was needed in airbrush, something was done, cockpit is not finished yet... I have started decal application, and then one of the decals(as it usually happens) refused to cooperate, so I have decided to paint the decal(s). Here are photos of where I stand with the kit.

Decal no20 was lost, therefore wings and fuselage have been masked to receive new coat of paint.

38092487866_24f98c3d60_c.jpg

White coat

38147145541_8515128244_c.jpg

Followed by blue

38147146121_c8be24cb26_c.jpg

Unmasked

38147146671_d70fffba22_c.jpg

Underside

38147147471_2633f79e93_c.jpg

Cheers!

Rade  

Edited by parip
title
  • Like 7

Hi 

Small update

I test fitted engine position and noticed number 24 (see photo), on the opposite side 23, and it was motor tool grinding session, in order to correct. When this was finished engine was painted.

38113973816_5453126f9a_c.jpg

Here is the result, with paints used (Steel base coat, aluminium highlight, grey for the top part (not familiar with the term) and dark earth for dry brushing coils)

38113974256_4b0835f9a9_c.jpg

Cheers!!!

Rade

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Joss said:

Looking good!  At the speed your cracking on you'll have them all done in no time.

Joss

Thanks Joss

I wish you are right... Usually my modelling sessions are very short, 15-30 min, unfortunately not every day.

Anyhow, I have painted the pilot since last update (was already glued to the seat) and here is the result

38166074326_f55a6db95d_c.jpg

Cheers!!!

Rade

• Like 3

13 hours ago, parip said:

Thanks Joss

I wish you are right... Usually my modelling sessions are very short, 15-30 min, unfortunately not every day.

Anyhow, I have painted the pilot since last update (was already glued to the seat) and here is the result

38166074326_f55a6db95d_c.jpg

Cheers!!!

Rade

Nice a crisp on the pilot! I have to admit same here with me. There never seems to be enough time for modelling... Look forward to seeing more!

Regards

• Thanks 1

Hi,

Small update, canopy has been masked and painted, first green and afterwards aluminium.

Masking was done with masking tape for the larger areas and masking fluid for the rest. Touch-up was required, which was expected...

Problem with masking fluid is that you have to apply it very precise (tricks with cutting after painting don't work with me). After I was finished with painting I have removed all masking, and since I was using acrylics I was able to clear where needed by running toothpick along the edges of the framing. Her is photo with first masks removed. Needless to say If you are not careful, you will damage areas which you don't want...
38262696366_57702569d5_c.jpg

Here is photo after second round of touch-ups...

38262696686_e170bfd427_c.jpg

How do you clean this attachment tabs on the side of the canopy? They look "ok" until painted:rage:

Cheers!

Rade

• Like 2

Hi 
Here is the status of the remaining candidates 
1. Zvezdas Ka-50
Main problem I am facing is attaching the canopy, because it is two part, with second part(doors) being flat part with no grooves for attaching. There is an option for posing them open, however I am against dust effects in the cockpit so I would like to close it. Needles to say gaps are all around...
If you have any suggestions how to tackle this problem, they are very welcome.
38553587222_ab745ba826_c.jpg
2. Airfix Walrus
One picture is worth more than thousand words...
Advise to ones that already don't know – don't mark part numbers with permanent marker, or at least remove before painting...
Real problem I have is how to solve problem with supporting of the wings? 
38529021846_7bebf437bd_c.jpg
3. Italeris Jaguar
Putty queen – kit from hell, at least that what this kit is in my opinion.
Some areas require additional work; I have to find the box with remaining parts?! 
38529022006_bb5485366d_c.jpg
4. Airfix Hawk
Kit has been left as seen in picture more than seven years ago, when I restarted modeling.
I have glued parts underneath the wings (vortex generators?) and realized that it is impossible to apply decals. I am afraid to remove masking tape from cockpit, maybe it will pull some plastic...
Never bought another decal sheet, and when I was taking pictures I managed to remove one of the parts (maybe I can remove them all - who knows) 
37697933375_36fa11d05c_c.jpg

Any suggestions welcome...
Cheers!!!
Rade

• Like 4

Hi

I have started with Ka50

Canopy glued down, sanding is ongoing...

I am trying to reduce step between fuselage and canopy.

26930942859_01760a97bd_c.jpg

side view

26930943059_b4ae278400_c.jpg

opposite side with doors in place, I will try to fill in gap between doors with white glue

24834043328_c078d581a1_c.jpg

Top view showing damage so far and sinkage behind engine intakes :rage:.

I have already managed to destroy canopy on top with failed attempt to mask with tape and cut with knife blade, by successful carving of outline with which I was not happy, after several sanding attempts I finished with blurry top canopy - carving marks are still there. :poo:

26930943209_a2fca234e3_c.jpg

Cheers!!!

Rade

• Like 3

On 11/30/2017 at 22:25, Graham77 said:

Excellent, someone with as many projects on the go as me. Great work let's see how many we can get to gallery standard

cheers

Graham

Thanks Graham!

I have decided to skip filling sinkage and started with painting. 

Since model was primed in black I was able to test spray few colors until I was happy with H321 for the lightest tone, still have to figure out stone shade and dark brown...

Anyhow plan is to work in small sections at the time, most likely nose&cockpit, central&wings and tail area. Masking will be fun...

38848069332_4bef7cb5e1_c.jpg

Cheers!!!

Rade

• 2 weeks later...

Hi 

After almost two weeks here is an update.

Well my plan haven't worked quite well.

In first try I have sprayed red brown for the darkest color and figured out straight away that it is wrong choice. This was covered with black brown which is in my opinion correct match for the darkest color. Than came tricky part of painting mid shade, tried several out of the pot shades, and all were wrong. But most important thing is that my approach was wrong – it is at least for me – impossible to mask and spray tiny line between two other colors. After several failed attempts, with not a single being any close to the result I was after, IPA bottle was taken out... I have ended with this (sorry for the crappy photo – LED strip which I have installed is driving me crazy – I am ending with either blue or yellow ones); only two parts broken during the process, few were easily removed

24253484877_d9e8520b87_c.jpg

I started over by applying grey color for the base and stopped here until I figure out the colors.

After several failed attempts I have settled down with 313 for the lightest, black brown for the darkest and mixture of 5x321: 1x456 for the mid tone

38232699005_89ddd3f74a_c.jpg

In regards to masking revised plan of action is to go first with mid tone, which will be masked with roll of white tack, and then spray light and dark shade with mask still on.

Cheers!!!

Rade

• Like 3

18 hours ago, SleeperService said:

That's a challenging paint job! Good luck with that, but it will look superb when finished.

Thanks & fingers crossed that everything goes as planned (otherwise I still have some IPA left...)

At the moment I am enjoying ski holiday's in Ischgl 🎿☀ , so no updates until I am back.

Cheers 🍻

Rade

• Like 1

Hi

I am back and I have stared by spraying mid tone.

This was followed by application of white tack worms over the painted areas.

27629887009_287307d01d_c.jpg

27629887299_99b9d9b7ff_c.jpg

Black brown sprayed

27629887469_4064d70bde_c.jpg

27629887639_7ab4b10354_c.jpg

And just for test lightest colour was applied to see if it works,

and it does

27629888249_0d96fecf97_c.jpg

That is all for 2017, more tomorrow if I will be able to...

Cheers!!!

Rade

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Looking good 👍

Thanks!

7 hours ago, SleeperService said:

Looking very good! You've made a complicated camouflage scheme look so easy. Nice work.

Thanks! It was trial and error approach.

White tack worms have to be thin enough that you can shape them as you go (you have o be careful not to touch already installed one), and on the other side they shall have some thickness in order that you can roll across them with toothpick to get right thickness of the line and "correct" curvature - something I have figured out after tail section was done...

Anyhow I have managed front section today, here are the photos.

Right wing and front section (including cave art animals)

39454711251_043a7faa0c_c.jpg

Left front side

39454711601_d10b711800_c.jpg

and top view

24588113027_33df684c56_c.jpg
Few touch-ups are required in the areas where I was not close enough with airbrush, but with main air-frame painted I think it will go much faster.

Cheers!!!

Rade

• Like 1