1/35 Accurate Armour SAS Land Rover

DaveJL

Hello all,

Wanted to ask those in the know...

Can the Accurate Armour 1/35 SAS Land Rover be depicted as a vehicle used during the 1991 conflict? The description states it’s an Op Telic fit so wasn’t too sure.

Cheers 

Dave

Basically you need to remove the wmik ...type frame and add a frame on the rear bulk head ...

ive a load of pictures of the original vehicle which may help however I'm unable to post them here at the moment .

terry 

There are photos on the web.  Basically, as noted above, the rear body of the 80's version DPV as used in 91 had a simple central pillar pintle mount and a roll bar between cab and body.  Stowage racks etc were also different.  The AA kit provides the right basic vehicle, a 110 HCPU.  The version as kitted by AA came later, using the WMIK rear frame and gun ring concept.  The Regiment apparently struggled for enough vehicles in 91, even using locally-converted Defender 90's in desperation and begging weapons from US SF.  Or so "Andy McNab" says..............

Cheers.

So the AA kit would be a good starting point, just removing the WMIK rear frame, keeping a roll bar between the front and rear parts of the vehicle and adding a weapons mount on the rear load bed?

In simple terms, yes.  The roll bar was not the same as the later version: taller, I believe.  Some had a frame attached to it facing forward over the driver's cab to mount a Milan launcher.  Stowage was a bit different.  Most photos are preserved ones, some of which are in fact replicas: so care is needed.  The one based on an RAF 130WB Rapier tractor is especially outrageous......

Here's one already modelled.  It's about right.

i1D8WOu.jpg

Here's about the only photo I found of a genuine one in service.

gHcrbwT.jpg

Here are some more genuine ones.  Note range of heights of rear mounts and no roll bars in some photos.

EFqbH70.jpg

j1puBED.jpg

Now I'm pretty sure this is a genuine preserved vehicle and not a replica, but take care.  If it is a replica then it's a damn good one.

XPwLTqq.jpg

R5IsaHJ.jpg

UyTyyuN.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/11/2017 at 7:33 AM, Das Abteilung said:

Here's about the only photo I found of a genuine one in service.

gHcrbwT.jpg

Is that a gun ring that the AGL/GMG is mounted on? Looks like it’s visible to the driver’ left (right as we look at it) and immediately to the rear of the roll-bar padding/rolled up tarp. 

I think it's just an illusion from the stowed kit.  Could possibly be an additional rear brace on the roll bar as some commercial types have: short horizontal section with angled leg.  Something Workshop could have knocked up.  The guy in the rear on the right (as you look) is standing right where the opposite side would be if it were a ring mount.  That DPV type had a pedestal mount in the rear bed

Edited by Das Abteilung