Dutch F-104G - 1/72

1903flight

So timing is everything.  

Just debating what to start next and I saw this group build pop up.  I have a Hasegawa F-104G/S in the stash.

Hasegawa F-104G

Plus I have a few days off and and so can sort out using Flickr.

And the tin of Xtracolour X255 RAL7001 that has been on back order has finally arrived, so I plan to build this one - http://www.i-f-s.nl/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/D-8107_306sq_LWD_01feb82_HPrinsX.jpg

Using these decals from Modeldecal set 43:

Modeldecal set 43 decals

Also have an Airframe Orpheus pod in the stash:

Orpheus Pod

Have a couple of references as well:

References

This will be my first group build and so will be keeping it simple.

Looking forward to starting this at the weekend.

• Like 6

So I started to paint the cockpit, then faced a discussion - which ejection seat to use - the C2 or the Martin-Baker Mk. Q7(A)???

Originally the F-104Gs were delivered and I know that the German and Danish Starfighters has the C2 Seat by the Q7, but I cannot find any information if this was the case for Dutch Starfighters, anyone know??

James

Thanks Giorgio, That confirms what I suspect was the case.

Will make some more progress this evening

James

Edited by 1903flight

On 11/13/2017 at 3:52 PM, dukdalf said:

Perhaps you've seen it already, but several good pictures of Dutch Starfighters can be found here: https://www.ipms.nl/artikelen/nedmil-luchtvaart/vliegtuigen-l/vliegtuigen-l-lockheed-f104

Good luck with the build, and with the same kit in the stash I'd like to watch closely...

Thanks for the link - very use shots, especially of the orpheus pod.

Hopefully will get some images up on progress so far this evening.

So finally have some pictures of the work so far. 

Finally started.

Still some work to do on the cockpit tub.  Need to get a picture of the instrument panel - my best hand painted one for a while - helped by the panel being in clear plastic. 

• Like 5

Just to that although progress is slow,  I have done some painting.....

the undercarriage parts. Painted in a mixture of Humbrol 11 and 56.

Progress

notice the flash on the undercarriage doors - not use to this on a Hasegawa kit. 

Here is the instrument panel. 

Progress

normally I would just use the decals, but for a change, I have attempted to paint. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 1903flight said:

So after some test fitting the rear fuselage fits better together with the arrow pointing down...

Surprising! I think the symbol moulded below the arrow is kanji for 'up' and your first photo seems to suggest that... Anyway, if you've got it to fit and the fuselage goes together better, then crack on. Nice instrument panel too!

Thanks Andrew and Giorgio.

I decided not to glue the rear fuselage together and to sleep on it. Following the advice from Andrew and Giorgio, I re tried with the arrow pointing up and now have a good fit. 

37921999974_7df660d039_b.jpg

as you can see I now have fuselage together, here are some of the missing steps.  

Rear fuselage glued. 

37921921294_e078108ec1_b.jpg

No mention of adding any weight is made in the instructions,  but I added some anyway

38639460391_1f2112ca7b_b.jpg

I used some liquid gravity, held in place with some PVA. 

Here is the forward fuselage glued together. 

38607106592_c2beb7a028_b.jpg

So next is clean up the joins, looks like only a little filler is required 

• Like 4

Good going with the rear fuselage. Well done also to have included nose weight; I'd certainly prefer to have the confidence that the kit will sit correctly in advance of installing the undercarriage and actually testing it. Keep up the great progress.

Andrew.

• Like 1

So weekly update.

cleaned up the joins between the intakes and the fuselage. Also wings and tanks added. 

38750082201_a19aabd7cb_b.jpg

23885587797_f9efb49127_b.jpg

The Dutch F-104s had the ALQ-126 ECM system added in the mid Seventies. Externally there is an extra lump under the forward fuselage, so I have tried to make this. 

Ecm

here it is fitted. 

38782435542_71540b33de_b.jpg

There is also an additional antenna to the starboard side. I plan to modify one of the small antennas from the Hasegawa F-16 kit ( as used on the navy version)

so so this is what I have so far. 

38782694672_38d6672310_b.jpg

Will not fit this until I have so paint on, which I should start this week.

The Dutch RF-104s also had an additional (cooling) intake behind the lump where cannon should have been, but I missed these and did not notice until I had joined up the fuselage. 

• Like 4

• 5 weeks later...

Over christmas was finally able to make some more progress - finally some paint applied.

Underside, just about finished.

27673996369_1362c2bf53_b.jpg

and upper surfaces

39451634991_cd6c503d31_b.jpg

Still needs a second coat and then to add the anti glare panel and clean up the dielectric panels . Appear to have lost the ejection seat during break before Christmas.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, theplasticsurgeon said:

PM me if it doesn't show up.

Leftover C2 seat from my build.

Thanks theplasticsurgeon - I will have a good look in the mobile work bench tonight.

Found the ejection seat - in with a selection of under wing stores for the couple of f-16s (one of which will also be Dutch) that are also on the go currently.

So seat glued in and canopy masked.

Edited by 1903flight

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, CliffB said:

Nice to see another build in the home straight :)

Not sure - it could still take me 3 or 4 weeks from this stage - although I did manage to get most of the starboard side decals on.  However there has had to be a slight change of plane now doing d-8143 - did not have a number 7 in the correct size/font.

• Like 1

Decals applied. 

39236565244_aa581f5329_b.jpg

39914991222_aa31958b65_b.jpg

so just the need to apply the semi-gloss coat, add the undercarriage, tanks and the recce pod. Might just jet this finished in time!

• Like 3