Matchbox Spitfire 1/72.

Hi folk's,we're all in a seventies time warp over in the Matchbox GB and those of us of a certain age must have ran home from the newsagent's to

have a crack at this kit when it came out,an OOB pure nostalgia build even stuck a pilot in and wheels up on the iconic stand,decal's were useable

but a bit naf so replacement's used.

20171023_200542

20171102_111623

20171102_111612

20171102_111604

20171102_111555

20171102_111641

20171102_111631

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 59
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

Hi folk's,we're all in a seventies time warp over in the Matchbox GB and those of us of a certain age must have ran home from the newsagent's to

have a crack at this kit when it came out,an OOB pure nostalgia build even stuck a pilot in and wheels up on the iconic stand,decal's were useable

but a bit naf so replacement's used.

Hi Steve,

That's great – I love how you've displayed it. When I was a young 'un, the only models I had were Matchbox kits from the local newsagent, so it is very nostalgic.

I should check out what's going on over there in Matchbox GB world...

Regards,

David

• Like 1

Hello Steve,

To be really nostalgic, one have choosed to not paint it at all

After all, it was 3 colours kits ... Ready to dogfight in a boy's bedroom.

There was'nt too much Matchbox kits for me, but more of Airfix !!

Really good job on this Cloclo's Spitfire !

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Like 1

Yes indeed. I well remember how much better it was than the then current Airfix MkIX. Even so I didn't like the deep panel lines. But then again I was already a teenager when they came out and an avid reader of modelling magazines like Scale Models and Airfix Magazine. Where that very topic was discussed. 

The great thing about Matchbox was the ease of building and some very esoteric subjects. 

• Like 1

Ahh, nostalgia. My first Spitfire model...those Matchbox kits were all I ever wanted. Just the boxes were cool. I still remember picking them up in the shop, looking through the window at the sprues, and admiring the amazing box art.

Those stands were the bees knees too.

Wonderful!

• Like 3

An absolute beauty. Gosh, childhood was fun when it came to model kits and this brings all those wonderful memories back.

I like the in-flight, wheels up treatment and the absence of high priest orthodoxy over panel lines, nose shape, decal issues, exhaust colouration, radiator positioning, spinner prop blur imponderables, landing light arguments and suchlike.

It is just a simple work of art.

Michael

Edited by Michael Enright
Alzheimer remembers
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Many thank's folk's as I said to those of a certain age  these kit's mean a lot of happy memories,it's been great just building the old way

without trying to add detail,weathering etc and just taking the kit forwhat it is,a snapshot in time!

• Like 5

Certainly brings back memories!

Don't laugh, but the "two- and three-colours of plastic" was a big selling point to youngsters at the time.

If anything got painted at all, it might've been u/c legs, wheels and the pilot!

But once the bug had bit, the hobby became an addiction that lives on today (with a late 80's hiatus for education and early career, in my case).

Thanks for showing us your great build.

Well done!

:clap:

• Like 2

5 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Brilliant job on that Steve, it looks so "right". Is this the boxing that had the insert for the low back XVI too? Seeing that makes me sorry I go shot of mine. :(

Steve.

The IX/XVI kit has a different PK number.  Mine is in black and grey sprues.  The lowback fits perfectly on a Frog Mk.14 I'm working on!  There's a plan for the 9 parts too.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, malpaso said:

The IX/XVI kit has a different PK number.  Mine is in black and grey sprues.  The lowback fits perfectly on a Frog Mk.14 I'm working on!  There's a plan for the 9 parts too.

Making me even more sorry I got shot of mine now. :( We'll be expecting pictures of course.. :) 

Steve.

• Like 1

Steve, 

This rendition of PK-2 looks great in any guise - whether its all beautifully presented like you have done or just in bare plastic as Matchbox intended. 

I think in this day & age or finite panel lines, overpriced PE, resin & brass replacement parts etc..... somehow going back to where it all began and treating this hobby as just a 'hobby' is what we all need every now and again.

This current Matchbox II GB has plenty of time still left (10 Feb 18), so for all those out there with Matchbox kits in their deep stash, just jump on board and have some fun.

Look at what Steve has produced - it'll never be his most accurate model in his cabinet, however just might be the biggest talking point for anyone over 35 that can recall that legendary Matchbox 'M' stand.    

I can certainly see a Matchbox III GB being voted up in the years to come. 

Cheers and thanks for the memories...  Dave     

• Like 2