Republic P47 D Thunderbolt Razorback

One-Two

I attached to the fuselage the horizontal stabilizers, the windshield, the lateral rearview mirrors and also the forward fuselage bulkhead.

To my surprise I had some fit issues with the windshield. I had to modify it a little bit in order to obtain a flush joint line with the fuselage. 

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

However excepting this windshield issue, the general fit of the kit is as close as possible to perfection, until now.

• Like 10

The flaps are like small little kits by themselves.

Two separate halves for each flaps (like the fuselage sides), with 3 linkage bars between them.

spacer.png

There are separate pieces if you wand to pose the flaps down or up...I installed the long ones, since mine will be with flaps deployed. 

spacer.png

I also have installed some PE bits from the Eduard and that's it.

spacer.png

The wings are not yet assembled, I used them only for a quick dry fit to check the flaps. 

What a great kit, really.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you, Guys.

Not much time for this build lately, I only managed to work a little bit in the engine area.

Main engine parts after painting:

spacer.png

And engine assembled plus Eduard PE ignition wiring installed:

spacer.png 

That should be all for the engine but most probably I will add some more details.

For the engine cowl flaps I'm using the Loon models resin replacement for early D series Thunderbolts.

The Loon Models replacement is ok, but lacks any detail on the inside, so I improved it a little bit:

spacer.png

Not much of this detail will be seen, once all the pieces installed on the fuselage, but I will know that it's there:)

This is how it looks under some paint:

spacer.png

Thanks for looking and cheers, 

• Like 1

More detailing work on the engine.

I added some wiring on the magnetos area, some piping bellow the engine and also the propeller pitch changing mechanism.

I also represented the circular framing around the first row of cylinders, since it was visible inside the cowl.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Much of these details will be hidden under the cowl, but anyway...

spacer.png 

Regards,

• Like 3

Thank you, Thom.

I also started the work on the wings.

The gear bays deserve to be better detailed and the Eduard PE set is a good starting point. The fit of the PE bits is pretty good, but test-fit and small adjustments are needed, before committing to glue. 

I had to modify the hydraulic pushrods which were used for the gear doors, since it would not be possible to install them after the PE bits are glued in place. So they had to go now, before installing PE.

I cut the piston rods (they were protruding out of the gear bay and most probably would be damaged) and will replace them later on with some metal tube or rod or something like this.

spacer.png

Test-fitting at this stage is indicating very good fit of the wing halves, despite all the PE inside the gear bays.

I also test-fitted the gun ports and gun barrels...again, excellent fit.

Also Tamiya did a very good job with the spacers inside the wing, designed for proper installation and alignment of the gun barrels/blast tubes. This is the first kit I'm assembling which does not need any intervention, scratch-building or any addition in this area, in order to obtain good bun barrel alignment!

spacer.png

Thanks for looking and cheers!     

• Like 1