AMT B1 Battledroid - Mister Bones

Info on Mister Bones: 

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Mister_Bones

So after purchasing the ATM kit the Madmonk put on to the  Mister Bones character from the Star Wars Aftermath books, so the plan is to make this guy from the ATM kit, should be fun.

This is about the best representation of him that i can find and what i will be working from.

2017-11-01_07-10-33

Edited by rockpopandchips
  • Like 1

So the bones on Mister Bones I plan on making out air drying clay but not have done anything like that before i had a bit of practice with some bluetack after making a start cutting up the head to make the first mod for this build the telescopic eye.

Draw.

20171101_084621

Drill.

20171101_085928

Cut.

20171101_090557

Sand and shape.

20171101_092616

Play with bluetack.....

20171101_101805

20171101_101831

Mess about a bit more and like most things i will probably end up just winging it....

20171101_124433

• Like 4

What a cool idea. I'm going to watch this with interest. Don't forget to pay attention to the side profile for the telescopic eye. The photo of what you have so far looks great, but appear to be looking upwards too much. This could just be the camera angle though. Really great work with the dummy bones, they look the part. My advice here would be to use some 2 part epoxy putty, GW green stuff, Tamiya epoxy putty or something similar. I think you're more likely to get a more robust, and lighter result, and will avoid the issues that air-dry clay has with water, and therefore water based paints and varnishes.

Edited by James B
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Madmonk said:

Good to see this coming to fruition, great start.

Cheers Im looking forwards to making him and it will be a change from all the Gundam stuff.

11 hours ago, James B said:

Don't forget to pay attention to the side profile for the telescopic eye.

That one was just a test, I think the MKII is better but still new a little bit more of the fins details. I might try adding a bit of cable.

11 hours ago, James B said:

My advice here would be to use some 2 part epoxy putty, GW green stuff, Tamiya epoxy putty or something similar

Good thinking I had forgotten I had some Green Stuff as i didn't get on well with it last time I used it but I think its about time I did. If I use the Green stuff and mold it right on the unpainted plastic will it come of once its dry or will it stick to it?

Not sure if I should paint the head them mold the bones or just build up the head, bones eye and every thing then paint/ mask?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, rockpopandchips said:

If I use the Green stuff and mold it right on the unpainted plastic will it come of once its dry or will it stick to it?

Not sure if I should paint the head them mold the bones or just build up the head, bones eye and every thing then paint/ mask?

Normally it would come off, but to be certain a little bit of baby oil on the plastic before you start will mean it definitely will come off without it snapping, bending or breaking. Just like oiling a cooking pan, you want a smooth even covering on it. Just remember to wash the plastic and greenstuff after, gently and with a little soap, otherwise glues and paints tend to have some issues adhering (guess how I know that one)!

I think I would be tempted to mould the bones on the head using the above method of baby oil, then paint the two separately. Unless you're brush painting rather than airbrushing. If using the hairy stick, I'd be tempted to go the other way, skip the baby oil and mold direct onto the head and paint as one piece.

• Like 1

Thanks for the tip James, i will be using the AB to paint so will go with tryed and tested oil method, im also thinking i might have to light up the telescopic eye red but the other side is all seald up now so probably wouldn't light the normal eye but it might work ok.

• Like 1

Thanks  guys still a very long way to go. I put him together this morning just to see how he looks, ok its going to need a lot of work to get any sort of dynamic pose out of the kit but the details are ok and no massive gaps really. He will need a gun of some sort ( i think a death trooper pistol would look good) but the ones on ebay are like £25 in this scale so thats not going to happen, would shape ways be a good place to look, anyone recommendations? Also thought about getting one of the cheep hasdro 12" figurs for a gun, anyone know what these are like?

I did cut up the arm ready for the blade upgrade.

2017-11-05_09-05-40

2017-11-05_10-16-16

• Like 4

Finished the head i think, added some shaped plastis to give it the birld like shape as in the picture above.

20171106_185528

Also cut and repositioned the arm, hand and thumb, that has the blade. Hopefully its looks folded back. I also added some VW hub caps to reshape the elbows and i will find something similar for the hips.

20171106_185608

• Like 4

I'd be tempted by Vallejo German Grey. It's a good dark grey, but not too dark that it looks black in some light, if that makes any sense. To my eye, and on this monitor, I'd say it's a very close match to the drawings in your first post.

• Like 1

Thats a good call James, i will add it to my next order and in the mean time i have made one of the big adjustments to body position, i have moved the torso about 15 degrees to the hips. Was a lot trickyer than i thought it would be but every thing is cut reset and glued now and i think looks ok.

20171108_225307

20171108_225317

• Like 1

wow - this has come along leaps and bounds since I last checked in for a gander - this is an amazing model - much larger than I originally expected

looking really great now - hoping to see him completed soon - nice and different model

• Like 1

Thanks Gimme, but still lots more building and modifying to do yet. 

I have my paints now Tamiya German grey and set of reds  Mr Hobby Mechanical color set, that I have a question about.

Do I paint the grey first then mask and paint the red or the other way around. Will the type of paint make a different?  Cheers.

Because red is traditionally quite a thin paint/weak pigment and because it's quite a rich red in the artwork, I would advise priming in a white or light grey, follow this with a light coat of strong yellow. Then go over the whole droid with red, make sure it's completely dry, mask off your areas and hit it with the grey last of all. The grey will cover just about anything with only a few thin coats. The red won't look as bright or vivid off put down over the grey. Will you be brush painting or airbrushing? I think I'd be tempted to paint the inside of the head 1st in grey, then mask it with sponge, tape etc before beginning the above steps.

Edited by James B
  • Like 2