English Electric Deltic Prototype (DP1) **FINISHED**

nimrod54

Thanks a lot Alan, I could have a bit of a tricky job coming up with some vac formed windows to fit. The six down the side should be an easy fit but the cab windows look as though they may be a bit of a faff especially in the corners.

I have almost completed the detail painting on the locomotive body today, just the lights on the cab front to sort. What could be assumed to be a light on the cab front did not contain any lighting equipment on DP1, but had a glass cover to allow some natural light into the nose compartment. The reference sheet that I have been using gives the colour for the walls and ceiling in this area as Blue-grey, but in photos this seems to be a light colour, so some further research is needed before I paint those in.

39001966724_bf90764840_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

39001965334_fa06f25357_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Not much more to do now, some detail painting and pipework on the front of the bogies, windows and decals to add and that should see it finished. I apologise for showing this from the same two angles, but it is quite a long beastie and a bit awkward to photograph within the constraints of my cutting mat.

• Like 5

Time for another small update, the windows are in, decals are finished and I have made a start on adding the manufacturers plates. I have also added the screw couplings and buffers. I am hoping to have this wrapped up before the weekend.

39859696431_a7902215d5_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

39149478774_34e038c173_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

25986202488_199f7c89f5_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

39859695641_21de01dc46_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 8

On ‎24‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 02:06, stevehnz said:

That is stunning, quite the handsome big beastie. I like that a lot. :)

Steve.

1 hour ago, MickE said:

Looks great and makes a change from aircraft, armour and ships.

Mick

Thanks for the very kind comments guys, I'm glad that you like it. I finished off the last few bits and pieces last night and have taken some photos this morning, here are a few with some more going into the gallery after this.

39179890954_3fab9efbd2_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

39179889934_a188a52604_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

39179892024_7752db8ea6_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Thanks for the interest and support through this build, particularly @Mjwomack for suggesting that I should tackle something local to where I live and @davecov for starting me off in the right direction with some references.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, CliffB said:

A great result John :goodjob:

Were the side stripes decals or painted? Either way was it tricky, given that they are raised?

Cliff

Thanks a lot for the comment, Cliff. The side stripes are decals and they are supplied as a one piece affair with a large area of carrier film down the centre, which also holds the DELTIC titling. To reduce the risk of silvering, I decided to remove the carrier film and cut them into more manageable sections and used a combination of Mr Mark Setter and Softer along with Micro set and Sol to get them settled down.

I should have run a sanding stick across the raised detail to reduce the height a little and given it a slightly rounder shape too. You can clearly see the raised detail in this photo of DP1 here, but I was too far down the road to try and correct that. :banghead: 'Must pay more attention to detail' was a constant feature on my artwork at school. :lol: 

• Like 1