1/48 F-104J/DJ JASDF

Nice work Craig.

Youve got a serious production line there, especially with those bang seats!

I wish that Twobobs decal sheet was still available now that I've seen it.

James

• Like 1

2 hours ago, franky boy said:

I wish that Twobobs decal sheet was still available now that I've seen it

So do I! At least the colours are correct on the Two Bobs sheet, Hasegawa's are way off especially the red, mind you its not like its the national marking on their own country or anything.

21 minutes ago, exdraken said:

Which seats are those?

They are a bit of a mix Werner, one Quickboost, two True Details and two from a resin TF-104 pit whose manufacturer I can't remember. They are all quite good though so not sure which ones I will use yet.

Thanks to all of you for your comments, hopefully I will post more progress during the week.

Craig.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Very good job on these cockpits !

Speaking of references, I can suggest anyone interested in these aircrafts the Bunrin-Do volume, it's very nice ! Unfortunately all in Japanese so the text will be unreadable for most here, but the pictures are all very useful and the colour section is great. It's also quite cheap, I've seen some sold online for little more than £10.

Small bit of trivia, one of the chapters is relative to Leiji Matsumoto and his experience with the 104. Matsumoto is one of the best known sci-fi anime creators, I wish I could read what he said of the Lockheed fighter !

Then there would be the fantastic Model Art special, something that I've never managed to buy as all copies I've seen were sold for very high prices.

A a modeller I really believe I'm missing a lot not being able to read Japanese...

• Like 2

Very nice craig, going to take the opportunity to praise your last two projects too , the flying pencil, and the Egyptian mig 21,after seeing them at telford they were even better than your photographs portrayed, 

Glynn 

• Like 1

On 11/24/2017 at 10:10 PM, Hewy said:

Very nice craig, going to take the opportunity to praise your last two projects too , the flying pencil, and the Egyptian mig 21,after seeing them at telford they were even better than your photographs portrayed, 

Glynn 

Thanks Glynn,

Sorry I missed you at Telford, was probably out spending money! Hopefully we will bump into each other at Hinckley next year.

On 11/25/2017 at 8:06 AM, Red Dot said:

Looks like you need to improve your photography then Craig 😂

And thank you Andy.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Thanks Glynn,

Sorry I missed you at Telford, was probably out spending money! Hopefully we will bump into each other at Hinckley next year.

And thank you Andy.

Yes i expect we will craig, i didn't manage to make telford till the sunday, snowed under with work, there was only one fella on your table, i got bitten with one of my purchases, my fault for not looking in the box but a dragon tiger 1 tank with,  etch, brass,  turned barell, and link tracks, had guess what in the box, yep none of the above:huh:, i'll begrudgingly  put it down to experience,  hope you had better luck than me, being sunday saved me a few bob temporarily, because everything that i was after had gone on Saturday,, starfighter's looking good so far. 

Glynn 0

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Hewy said:

Yes i expect we will craig, i didn't manage to make telford till the sunday, snowed under with work, there was only one fella on your table, i got bitten with one of my purchases, my fault for not looking in the box but a dragon tiger 1 tank with,  etch, brass,  turned barell, and link tracks, had guess what in the box, yep none of the above:huh:, i'll begrudgingly  put it down to experience,  hope you had better luck than me, being sunday saved me a few bob temporarily, because everything that i was after had gone on Saturday,, starfighter's looking good so far. 

Glynn 0

Sounds like you were ripped off with the "Tiger" purchase Glynn, did you get it from the kit swap area? If you did then you might be able to at least complain to the IPMS about it as the box will have the membership number of the person who was selling it.

The Starfighter is making slow progress this week, I shall get some pics up over the weekend.

As promised, it's update time.

Well she is really beginning to look like a Starfighter now. I have glued the fuselage halves together which gave me a bit of filling and sanding to do but nothing major, I did have some serious sanding to do where the nose cone joins the fuselage as for some reason the two of them seemed to be different diameters. The piece which covers the rear of the cockpit opening (where the computers go on the real aircraft) also gave me issues on one side which needed building up using thick superglue as a filler which was sanded to shape and then a couple of minor blemishes were filled using Squadron Green Stuff with any panel line detail then re-scribed, this is how the area looks now;

24940877518_4960f18eb1_o_d.jpg

It looks still visible but is actually nice and smooth and will disappear under a coat of paint.

The cockpit coaming has been added and I've made my own fabric covering as per the real thing as I didn't like the look of the Hasegawa item, mine is simply made by adding tissue paper which is fixed in place using white glue and then painted and weathered once dry and this is how it looks;

38813078731_1b65d3310e_o_d.jpg

And a look at the area from the rear;

38782518962_d17a5f5827_o_d.jpg

The canopy pieces were then masked up ready to be installed;

23948548907_d76887c8bb_o_d.jpg

And were then fixed on to the model, well the front and rear pieces are fixed the central piece is left loose;

23948552557_ba417b2d14_o_d.jpg

Next job on this one (tomorrow) will be to spray the interior colour onto the canopy pieces followed by an aluminium which will be the final colour for the canopy. The wings, whilst built up, are not yet fixed to the fuselage they are just slotted in for effect and will be removed for the painting. Another job prior to the painting was to temporarily fix the main undercarriage doors in place;

38813086131_83b12c5d48_o_d.jpg

These are just held in place with some blu-tak.

And that is where the single seater remains for today, I have been doing a little to the DJ as well. The instrument panels have been added to the tub and then this was offered up to the fuselage to see how it fits;

23948555457_8acb9abccb_o_d.jpg

Not a bad fit at all, although the side walls look very bare and I might have to think about adding something there. My main concern however is the huge gap behind the cockpit tub which Hasegawa don't give you anything to fill it, here is a closer look at the problem area;

23948559597_044d3e61a0_o_d.jpg

As you can see even with a seat in place I believe this will be at least partly visible, so I will have to make something to fill the area.

Well that's it for today, hopefully have an update in a day or two. thanks for looking and as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

• Like 7

hi Craig,

That's pretty much par for the course for the single seater. The bit behind the cockpit is too narrow on all kits but the way round the nose cone would be to glue each half to the fuselage part first. However, I don't remember issues on any of my models. Maybe it's mould wear?

Andy

• Like 1

nice cockpit, I really like the tissue effect of the tissue ;)

so you leave of the wings for now..... interesting proposition! wonder if that also works for gloss white top surfaces ...

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Red Dot said:

hi Craig,

That's pretty much par for the course for the single seater. The bit behind the cockpit is too narrow on all kits but the way round the nose cone would be to glue each half to the fuselage part first. However, I don't remember issues on any of my models. Maybe it's mould wear?

Andy

Maybe there is some mould wear, they have been around for a while. Perhaps it's about time somebody gave us a brand new tool F-104 that sorts out some of the niggles with the Hasegawa kit, I'm sure the kit would make the manufacturers good money.

7 hours ago, exdraken said:

nice cockpit, I really like the tissue effect of the tissue ;)

so you leave of the wings for now..... interesting proposition! wonder if that also works for gloss white top surfaces ...

Thanks Werner, yes leave the wings off until after painting it makes things a lot easier.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've been there craig, may it return with haste, I've just walloped a 1/32 spitfire mk9c together I've only got the sky band,  yellow leading edges and the markings, which are masks, no wip no pressure, thoroughly enjoyed it so far, bought my mojo back up to full power, happy Christmas, hope you have a good one

Glynn 

Managed to pull my finger out and get some work done.

On the 2 seat DJ I have added a blanking plate to the rear of the cockpit which helps fill the gap that Hasegawa have you leave the kit with, it's nothing special but it does the job and can be seen in place on this picture which shows the cockpit fitted in place.

39334149461_d1c847ef19_o_d.jpg

You can also see in the picture that I have added some resin side walls which came with a cockpit set I have, these help to fill in the blank area on the cockpit sides from the kit which also have some ejector pin marks, here are a couple of pictures of the  cockpit sides with the resin pieces in place but before I fixed the cockpit in.

39334146741_716a00c98e_o_d.jpg

39334144151_d9acc05975_o_d.jpg

And with that work done it was time to fix the cockpit in place and to glue the fuselage halves together, and I have to say that they went together better than the single-seater with hardly any filler required at all. Here are a couple of pictures of the cockpit area which shows the area once completed and with the coaming areas fitted to both the front and rear cockpits (both of which have had the same tissue paper treatment as the single-seater) and you can see the blanking plate I added to the back of the cockpit.

39334151901_509753dbc9_o_d.jpg

39334154501_11d9a168ac_o_d.jpg

As well as the DJ I have also put some time in on the "J", namely actually getting some paint on her! I have spent a while trying to match the colours used on the blue colour scheme and there are no direct matches for the colours used (what a surprise) so I have been working on matching the colours as best as possible and this is what I've come up with for the undersides;

39334157941_91b25819ff_o_d.jpg

39334162811_d23bc60b5b_o_d.jpg

It's based on Xtracrylix RLM-65 (which is too blue for RLM-65) with just a drop of a Gunze dark blue and I don't think it's too bad a match, what do you guys think? Next job will be to mask the underneath off and try to come up with a colour mix for the top.

Thanks for your patience and thanks for looking in, as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

• Like 6

Tiny bit of an update.

I have been trying to figure out how to do the tail markings on the J, as you may have noticed in the pictures of the blue painted aircraft I am building the area of the tail which has the serial number on it is still in it's original natural metal finish whilst the rest of the tail is camouflaged. I have been trying to decide what is the best way to replicate this and had toyed with the idea of painting it metal and then adding a piece of masking tape to the area before painting the darker blue but realised it would be nearly impossible to get it in exactly the right spot so what I have decided to do is to paint the tail then apply the tail marking decal (complete with serial number) and then mask it and apply the blue. 

Obviously this has risks, such as the masking tape peeling off the decals but I'm thinking a coat or two of future over them should help to protect them, hopefully! So I have painted the tail in a couple of shades of Vallejo acrylic metal (love these paints), here's a couple of shots starting with the tail in overall chrome;

39393917361_2280f6b1fd_o_d.jpg

And one showing the centre panel masked and with a different shade (dark aluminium) applied;

39363831672_f254c56135_o_d.jpg

Next job will be to apply some Klear then the decals, then some more Klear then some masks and blue paint, wish me luck!

Craig.

• Like 7

Hi Craig.  I think you're very brave masking over that decal ;).  Good luck.

I very much like your light blue.  I'll be going with my kit's Tamiya recommendations XF-23 Light Blue and XF-18 Medium Blue.  They are quite dull looking though - a good match for the 'faded' photos, but not as eye-popping as I had hoped for!

I'm looking forward to seeing how yours progresses.

Cliff

• Like 1