Zvezda Clear Parts issues

Wanderer

Hi All,

I recently tried to remove a flaw from the canopy of a Zvezda 1/72 mig-29.

Unlike most other manufacturer's clear parts, the canopy seems to be made of a softer, more flexible clear substance.

I guess the thinking would be that it's less prone to cracking. However, this makes polishing it up nearly impossible. I've tried a few techniques that work on other manufacturers parts, but with no success. The canopy just stays a milky white colour. The best I can think of describing this is to imagine trying to polish a piece of hard nougat to a mirror like finish.

I had a look at another Zezda kit I bought, the Mi-24, and the parts seem to be of the same rubbery material, and holding them up to sunlight they reveals less than impressive levels of clarity. :(

Has anyone else had any issues with Zvezda clear parts?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Wanderer

• 3 weeks later...

How old is the kit? I have a few zvezda kits in the stash, and the clear parts seem to be made of the normal plastic most companies use. 

I think I know the type of bendy plastic you mean, I've only encountered it once, and it was on a cheap copy of the chopper from blue thunder. Horrible stuff, flexible and floppy, less than clear, and doesn't polish up at all. 

Matt

On 01/11/2017 at 01:28, Wanderer said:

Has anyone else had any issues with Zvezda clear parts?

I'm not aware of any - have you tried using these chaps to buff the canopy up to a high gloss?  I've got a set in for review, but I've used their like before and they're great for such jobs.  Remember to buff perpendicular to the last grade when polishing too, making sure you remove all the scratches that go across your current grit when doing so.  You have to be patient, as there's no shortcut.  Speaking of shortcut, have you tried dipping your canopy into Klear/Future to see whether that hides the clouding?  Might be an idea to let it soak for a while too :)

If you still can't fix it, I'd have a word with Zvezda's spares department.  Their importer is usually the best place to start.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎18‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 00:45, S5 modeller said:

How old is the kit? I have a few zvezda kits in the stash, and the clear parts seem to be made of the normal plastic most companies use. 

I think I know the type of bendy plastic you mean, I've only encountered it once, and it was on a cheap copy of the chopper from blue thunder. Horrible stuff, flexible and floppy, less than clear, and doesn't polish up at all. 

Matt

Hi Matt,
My apologies. I didn't realise somebody had replied to my post.
The kits aren't very old. It's fairly new releases all 3 of them. I've since put the kits on hold.
The local hobby shop told me it can take up to 6 months to get replacement parts, if at all.

On ‎18‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 02:31, Mike said:

I'm not aware of any - have you tried using these chaps to buff the canopy up to a high gloss?  I've got a set in for review, but I've used their like before and they're great for such jobs.  Remember to buff perpendicular to the last grade when polishing too, making sure you remove all the scratches that go across your current grit when doing so.  You have to be patient, as there's no shortcut.  Speaking of shortcut, have you tried dipping your canopy into Klear/Future to see whether that hides the clouding?  Might be an idea to let it soak for a while too :)

If you still can't fix it, I'd have a word with Zvezda's spares department.  Their importer is usually the best place to start.

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the reply. I haven't tried that specific product, but have used similar ones with great success.

I've been modelling for a while, and I've removed countless seams & scratches before, without any problems.

I've also used the Future dipping technique before too, but it's not really helpful when you have to remove a seam.

Thinking about it again, the best way to describe it is by imagining a mix between a glue gun stick and the usual stuff clear parts are made of.

When you bend the sprue it won't break, it will bend. For example if I hold the sprue for Zvezda's Mi-24v clear parts by one end, they are floppy and not rigid.

I will try and get some pics tonight and upload.

I've had this with 3 of their kits, so I doubt it's a bad batch.

I've spoken to the LHS owner, and says he can try to get replacements, but it can take up to 6 months.

I doubt I will find a solution, but I was more interested to see if anybody else has had the same problem.

Edited by Wanderer

• 1 month later...

I have checked a couple of my Zvezda kits; a Ka-50, and the Su-33. The Ka-50 did not have the parts frames bagged as is their normal practice; the clear parts frame does flex a bit. So does the Su-33 clear frame(but, it is bagged). But, they are very clear, no milky look. The Ka-50 clear parts do have some scratches on the clear areas(that would be clear on the finished kit and real aircraft); but, I attribute that to their not being bagged. As a control, I also checked a couple of my Airfix kits clear frames. They flex as well; but, they flex about the same as the Zvezda kits. It may be that the particular batch of plastic that was used for the clear parts on your MiG-29 and the Mi-24 was bad for any number of reasons. I have the Revell Gannet on my "Table of Doom"; I just checked its clear frame. It can flex; but, just slightly. The other clear frames mentioned above flex about the same(Ka-50, Su-33, Airfix Beaufighter TF. X). Again, I suspect a bad lot of clear plastic raw material. Hope you can get replacement clear frames soon.

Joe

• 2 years later...

Hi there 

Part of the problem is quality but the extra trouble is the bad custommer service, I tried to get an extra Zvesda Sukhoi Su-34 cockpit and send a request to them and yes they just answer that they aren't responsible for any kit sold at Ebay ( I agree with that but was a kit made by them and I was asking them to sold it and also a decal set)

At end I only buy kits for hobby not to sell or anything else

Best day

Armando

PD For other part Hannants, JadarHobby, Maestro Models, Hobby Link Japan, Kinetic Revell and Airfix all send replacement parts. Italeri send only prepaid parts

Edited by RAGATIGER
forgot to mention someting