TAMIYA (PANZER III AUSF L Conversion) - Sturminfanteriegeschutz 33

On 5/6/2018 at 8:50 PM, Sgt.Squarehead said:

I like the camo, sure it's not spot on to the profile, but in my experience profiles are usually ballpark at best.....I trust your interpretation at least as far as theirs.  :coolio:

Hi Sgt....thanks. Next one will be a bit sharper.......but I agree, only interpretations of photos in black and white.

I managed to get some time on it in spite of all the "jobs" I get handed on a Bank Holiday weekend......😫. So concentrated on the chipping and then a matt coat ready for wash's. I have to say, chipping on a light coloured AFV is a lot harder than dark toned one's. I hope it'll calm down a bit in the wash's and weathering to come. I will I think in all builds to come keep the hatch's and opening detail separate and then be able to chip cleaner to line definition....something learned there.

I might switch to the lower hull and start some practice on "mud" effects. for a change.....or just go strait into upper hull wash's and panel lining....have to see if I have the motivations for mud this week......

Simon.

RZCfohp.jpg

wpgMwvu.jpg

FtTu6ga.jpgG7ANclZ.jpgP3py017.jpg

b3wBs2W.jpg

ii8twDN.jpg

Edited by Redcoat2966
  • Like 9

• Redcoat2966 changed the title to TAMIYA (PANZER III AUSF L Conversion) - Sturminfanteriegeschutz 33

For my money the chipping and scarring looks just right and just the affect I'm looking for, can I ask how you did it?

Great work :goodjob:

Darryl 

That looks excellent. I know nothing of German cammo, but it looks really good to me. The cherry on the top, so to speak, is the tarpaulin. When it's weathered it should look brilliant.

John.

17 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Looking good.  :coolio:

The inner surface of the hatch should be dunkelgelb.  :nerd:

Hi Sgt, I was under the impression that Axis AFV's were off white interiors. I've seen the hatch's in white on Panzer III and IV's in archive images. It's going to be toned down somewhat with some chipping and wash's. I'll give ot go, it add's an extra dimension and contrast.

9 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

For my money the chipping and scarring looks just right and just the affect I'm looking for, can I ask how you did it?

Great work :goodjob:

Darryl 

Hi Darryl, thanks; glad you like it mate. As regards this effect, it was all done with brush for this one. I just couldn't get the "sponge" method right for me at this stage. I'll have to practice some more. As regards the paint chipping; I believe they call it the "mapping effect". Mig Jimenez has this up on Youtube, take a look, it gives you an overall take on it.

I'm still practicing and should get it much smoother. The sponge method will be better once I master it. Hope this helps.

5 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

That looks excellent. I know nothing of German cammo, but it looks really good to me. The cherry on the top, so to speak, is the tarpaulin. When it's weathered it should look brilliant.

John.

4 hours ago, robw_uk said:

oh boy thats good.... looks very realistic - the chipping looks spot on to me....

28 minutes ago, AgentG said:

Fantastic!

G

Thank guy's, praise indeed. Many thanks indeed......:yes:B)

It took me what time I had over two days to get this far. In studying the pics, I have spotted some areas that need attention and then I'll move  on to the hatch. Then it's the one I'm dreading is the cover and gun dust cover. See how far I get with that. Once I'm happy with that, I'll go to do some accumulated dry mud on the chassis and rear and front mud guard areas and side walls in and around the running gear.

Then the chemical blackening of the tracks and weathering them.

Don't think I'm going to get back on this one tonight. Bunch of paperwork I have to get through........:poop::rain::suicide:

Maybe......have to see.....chat again soon.

Simon.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Redcoat2966 said:

Hi Sgt, I was under the impression that Axis AFV's were off white interiors. I've seen the hatch's in white on Panzer III and IV's in archive images. It's going to be toned down somewhat with some chipping and wash's. I'll give ot go, it add's an extra dimension and contrast.

You are quite correct about the interior, but per standing orders any part of the vehicle regularly visible from the outside was painted the exterior colour.....I suspect what you are seeing in the archive images is clean dunkelgelb contrasting with the grubby paintwork of the exterior.

The crew hatches of a tank are frequently left open in the field, and the last thing you want your enemy to see is a large ivory circle in the midst of shrubbery. So, the insides of crew hatches were painted in the base exterior colour during manufacture. However, they rarely LOOKED like the exterior – the outside would be dusty and faded, or repainted or camouflaged, and the inside of the hatch would retain factory-fresh paint.

http://www.figuras.miniatures.de/camouflage-german-panzer-interior.html

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

You are quite correct about the interior, but per standing orders any part of the vehicle regularly visible from the outside was painted the exterior colour.....I suspect what you are seeing in the archive images is clean dunkelgelb contrasting with the grubby paintwork of the exterior.

http://www.figuras.miniatures.de/camouflage-german-panzer-interior.html

Thanks Sgt, excellent site for reference. I'll drop a clean coat of DG when I have it next in the airbrush. All makes sense.....cheers

Simon.

7 minutes ago, clive_t said:

Terrific! :thumbsup2:

Thanks Clive.......🤗......how's things?

7 minutes ago, Redcoat2966 said:

Thanks Clive.......🤗......how's things?

Going ok mate, but not as ok as your good self by the look of things! :D

Currently I am flitting between about 3 indoor modelling projects and one outdoor one, namely the stabilising and weed-proofing of the track bed for my garden railway. No.1 Grandchild has for some time been asking some searching questions regarding its evident dormancy! Well, it seems that we are blessed with some appropriate outdoor working weather right now, but my back is not appreciating the additional effort required of it! I need more hours in the day to fit everything in, and I am not even working any more :o

I will be starting an AFV thread soon, though, hopefully :rolleyes:

49 minutes ago, clive_t said:

Going ok mate, but not as ok as your good self by the look of things! :D

Currently I am flitting between about 3 indoor modelling projects and one outdoor one, namely the stabilising and weed-proofing of the track bed for my garden railway. No.1 Grandchild has for some time been asking some searching questions regarding its evident dormancy! Well, it seems that we are blessed with some appropriate outdoor working weather right now, but my back is not appreciating the additional effort required of it! I need more hours in the day to fit everything in, and I am not even working any more :o

I will be starting an AFV thread soon, though, hopefully :rolleyes:

Hi Clive, boy do I know the feeling.......you want some sunshine for so long, and then when it come's there's an avalanche of jobs your handed.....still, at least yours is modelling associated....mine were gutter cleaning and installing leaf guards......as I climbed up the ladder I could look in on my work bench, that didn't make it any easier......😫😡, still these things have to be done.....

Are you posting the present indoor projects to a thread, or is that to follow.......what AFV you got in mind?

40 minutes ago, Hewy said:

Smashing job simon, lovely chipping job, 

Cheers Hewy, appreciate your positive comments......I've been sitting looking at it for an hour and only managed to do some chipping on the drive and idler wheels......I'm considering switching for a break of scenery this weekend........might switch to the 8 RAD and start a German Grey modulation practice run......

thanks again

Simon.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Redcoat2966 said:

Are you posting the present indoor projects to a thread, or is that to follow.......what AFV you got in mind?

Two of them are: the Pulpit SPAD and the Titanic (links should be in my sig). The other was a diorama based on a 15-inch railway, which to be fair was a bit of a rush job as I realised last Monday that I didn't have anything to show at my local IPMS club meet for the coming

Friday. 

My next AFV subject, as alluded to in another thread, will be a 1:72 scale Katyusha rocket launcher. Ok technically it's not armoured as such, but definitely a fighting vehicle :)

It will fight me, that's for sure!

Hi Clive,....

The ship and the SPAD are quite a varied selection of subjects........looks like nice PE on the SPAD. Looking forward to seeing it finished. I remember now you mentioning the Katyusha.......have you got the kit, or still looking for a specific make and model.

I must look up to see if theres an IPMS in my local....would be nice to meet up and have a chat with fellow modellers......

Simon.

• Thanks 1

Ha, progress on the Spad has stalled at the moment as I am looking to make the wing ribs a bit more prominent. The PE is microscopic in some instances, not good for the eyes at all!

The katyusha kit is already in my stash, conveniently near the top :)

I can definitely recommend joining a club, whether affiliated to the IPMS or otherwise; it's amazing what tips and tricks you can pick up just from talking to other like-minded people.

2 minutes ago, clive_t said:

I can definitely recommend joining a club, whether affiliated to the IPMS or otherwise; it's amazing what tips and tricks you can pick up just from talking to other like-minded people.

Yeah, I'll definitely have to look into one. Maybe see one at the Hinckley show on May 20th.......I imagine being where you are Clive your not attending. Do you go to the Telford show?

Simon.

Yes, as I thought....shame. Maybe one day there'll be a show further south I could make it to...have a cuppa and a chat......:cheers:😁

I've decided just now after long contemplation, to shift my attentions to a new piece to have a break........the 8 RAD colour modulation is my next job....:)

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, clive_t said:

for my garden railway

Are there pictures.....I'm jealous already!  :P

2 hours ago, clive_t said:

It will fight me, that's for sure!

If you can beat old Airfix you can beat new PST/Zebrano.  :coolio:

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Are there pictures.....I'm jealous already!  :P

Careful, Sarge, you'll get me started... put it this way: I've had a garden railway for some 15 years :whistle:

However to avoid polluting Simon's thread with such things, I will open up a new thread! Unfortunately they are currently held on Photo Bucks, so need to get them on to my Flickr account first :)

• Like 1

Evening all......not much to report. Got a wash on it and some panel lining here and there. 

Washed the tarp down and will finish with dust wash's and some pigment shadowing. Have

to figure out how to create some realistic stains and water marks next.

Also changed the colour to be visibly different to the top. Break it up a bit and add some dimension.

qvDs7Kq.jpg

Reworked some small detail after the wash to maintain some "sparkle".....:thumbsup:, and

applied the spare wheels permanently now so they will look part of the overall when the final dust

wash's start to be applied, prior to mud application on the chassis.

1zjDxfF.jpg

Refinished the hatch as suggested by Sgt.....looks better.........still had to rough it up a little though....:boxing::)

jOaY2tF.jpg

CvysMJe.jpg

Overall, not much change in the pics from the last set, but thought I'd keep a regular update and progression. I won't

be back at the bench until the weekend, so chat soon lads.....:coolio:

• Like 5