TAMIYA (PANZER III AUSF L Conversion) - Sturminfanteriegeschutz 33

Hi Richard, thanks mate.....

It's my favourite part of the process, to figure it out, and how to get it done......I'm in the middle of scratch building a firing mechanism for my ad-hoc Zugkraftwagen rocket launcher.....do some research etc....all part of the fun....:smirk:

Thanks again.

Simon.

• 1 month later...

Evening all....hope your Sunday went well....managed some time on the bench today, albeit with some interruptions...😫.

Managed to get base colour and highlights done on this ugly pug. Might try and get some more done tonight, but this is where he stands at present. I might just up the Dunkel Gelb again slightly, not much. Then seal her in with satin finish before the next stage in the week.

NjMMjId.jpg

dMxalz7.jpg

HKyv632.jpg

6zBCMQ6.jpg

9Tbc8V0.jpg

Edited by Redcoat2966
  • Like 7

Cheers Sairou. My first Dunkelgelb AFV. When I was last doing modelling, we painted everything Panzer Gray like the Tamiya box showed 😁

I'm just hand painting the rubber wheels plus spares and track carriers at present, while watching "A Bridge Too far" on Youtube......

Next step is what camo scheme to do.

Simon.

• Like 1

Coming along very nicely indeed Simon! :thumbsup2:

I guess you've still got a ways to go with weathering etc, but I was wondering, with the tarp that's partially folded back, whether or not it might profit you to slightly darken the exposed underside of it, to accentuate the bleaching effect of the elements on the upper surface? Not a criticism, mate, I assure you! Also, sorry if you already thought of this!

Looking forward to the next steps! :popcorn:

Hi Clive, how are you.

Yeah, it does look a little washed out in the pics. But my light is an LED lamp. So it tends to do this. I adjust the pics before I post, but still doesn't have same colour as the actual. 

But in studying the pics overnight, there are few issues here and there I have to fix here and there. So I might try and beef it up a little. Or in the end go the pigment route to get some additional shadows onto her. I think if I'd done the black primer route as I just posed on the 8 RAD; it might have more impact. Well, all part of my abrupt learning curve........🤔

So next steps, touch up and chemically blacken the Friuls.

Have a good day mate.

Simon.

Edited by Redcoat2966
  • Like 1

Evening all......

Thought I'd post an update. I attempted the camo pattern tonight. I'm not sure, but I may have over done it. It's based on an actual vehicle in Southern Russia in 1943. But I think I ket the lines get maybe 20% fatter than should be. This it pre chipping and weathering, so should all start to blend together at some point.

It is a practice piece, in readiness for the cleaner builds I have underway. So all worth it......😬

The tarp covers will be last to paint, then a final satin finish to apply decals and then on the chipping and weathering.

Chat later.

Simon.

Jidjz3e.jpg8jIXoqI.jpg

ASoEPV6.jpgIMHttC2.jpg

dZ6jMN8.jpg

• Like 5

Thanks Etienne.

I think next time I do camouflage, I'll switch away from the IWATA and try the Harder and Steenbeck I have. It's new with a smaller needle. I think my IWATA is perfectly good for priming and general paint laying. But for this kind of detail, a finer line is needed to control the result.

Still, all good practice.

Thanks again

Simon.

8 hours ago, Redcoat2966 said:

Thanks Etienne.

I think next time I do camouflage, I'll switch away from the IWATA and try the Harder and Steenbeck I have. It's new with a smaller needle. I think my IWATA is perfectly good for priming and general paint laying. But for this kind of detail, a finer line is needed to control the result.

Still, all good practice.

Thanks again

Simon.

Hi Simon,

which Iwata model do you have ? I have a Revolution with a 0.5 needle, excellent for priming and varnishes, and an HP-C+ with a 0.3 needle for more precise painting ... maybe I'll try a Harder & Steenbeck next time I'll buy an airbrush (not in the coming years however ...) 😏

E

14 hours ago, Etienne said:

Hi Simon,

which Iwata model do you have ? I have a Revolution with a 0.5 needle, excellent for priming and varnishes, and an HP-C+ with a 0.3 needle for more precise painting ... maybe I'll try a Harder & Steenbeck next time I'll buy an airbrush (not in the coming years however ...) 😏

E

Hi Etienne

I have the (I think 🤔) the HP-C. I'll check when I get home to be sure. The Harder & Steenbeck was a Christmas present. I the Evolution Plus with the two needle size's. I also just dug up a Royal Sovereign that I had back in the day for my job.I might try and clean that up and see if it works.

I'll check when I get back and let you know for certain what models I have.

10 hours ago, Kris B said:

This camo is a challenge, very often stripes do not looks good. But not yours. 

Thanks Kris. I think my issue to do with the brush. On this scale you can't afford and over spray or creep. I think a finer line that you build up will be better next time to keep the base coat more pure colour.

I have been contemplating respraying the whole thing, but I'll see what she turns out like when weathered and chipped.

Thanks again.

Regards

Simon.

Building up fine lines is the way to gobin my experience. You also end up with a more "in scale" look in terms of opacity control. Nonetheless, I would say that some overspray is not a problem as soon as a filter or wash comes into play.

For the painting technique to look natural it would be useful to think of the real live spray width. Let's say it is for instance 50mm in the outlining and maybe several passes of 100mm to fill it in? That would be around 1.5-3 mm scale spray width. Just as an idea.

5 hours ago, Soeren said:

Building up fine lines is the way to gobin my experience. You also end up with a more "in scale" look in terms of opacity control. Nonetheless, I would say that some overspray is not a problem as soon as a filter or wash comes into play.

For the painting technique to look natural it would be useful to think of the real live spray width. Let's say it is for instance 50mm in the outlining and maybe several passes of 100mm to fill it in? That would be around 1.5-3 mm scale spray width. Just as an idea.

tGsTz6F.jpg

I totally agree Soeren. Hence why I need to switch to my Harder & Steenbeck. This is what I was having a go at. I think in going over and over to get the coverage, the over spray of the IWATA makes them look thicker than they should be. I might try and lighten between the camo with the Dunkelgelb and narrow them down. But as you say, once weathered it'll change overall.

On 5/2/2018 at 7:00 PM, Etienne said:

Hi Simon,

E

I checked this morning and it's the Harder and Steenbeck Evolution CR Plus with 0.2 and 0.4 needles.My IWATA is the HP-C. To be honest, not sure what needle size it has.....🤔. I'll certainly move to the H&S for fine camo next time.

Simon.

I am using the H&S Ultra sitz thr two needle sizes you mention. I went with the 0.4 mm for the 1/16 scale and the .2 for 1/35. And yes, you still have some overspray but even then you can spray some really tight lines. One problem i see though with the camo artwork reproductions, they are mostly much too neat an clean. Especially regards coverage inside the areas.

Yeah, I can imagine in the field they weren't too fussy. Can't imagine any tanker had an art degree........😁 

I'll keep the IWATA for brad area and move to the H&S for finer detail from this point on.

Cheers

Simon.

Well, I decided to go with the camoflage as is, and moved on final painting of the tarp I imagine was used for keeping the dust out of the fighting compartment on the move across the Ukrainian Steplands.

So on to the sealing in the final colours once dry, and then the chipping and weathering......... Never weathered material before, so this'll be fun.🤔:nerdy:

IPpYwir.jpg

iymVXyD.jpg

KO7Reu7.jpg

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Redcoat2966 said:

Well, I decided to go with the camoflage as is

Hi Simon,

I think you took the right decision ... imperfections are what gives AFV this special "field" touch !! Otherwise they are only parade vehicles, no less, no more 😏

I doubt german tank crews took so much care of the paint scheme perfection ... they probably aready had enough work to keep their machines ready for the next move, taking care of tracks, engines, guns ...

Cheers, E

Hi Etienne

My thoughts exactly. I can imagine the scene

commander:  “ I need a volunteer.....you’ll do......put some paint on that thing, sharpish, oh and fill her up and replenish the ammo. We leave in two hours”

I think it’ll all blend once weathered. I’ve been dragged to the Badminton Horse Trials today😖😖😖😖😖😖😝😩.....so maybe tomorrow with some progress.......I hope 😳

Simon