TAMIYA (PANZER III AUSF L Conversion) - Sturminfanteriegeschutz 33

stunning. the whole piece just "works" BUT the tarpaulin is the piece de resistance....

Edited by robw_uk
  • Thanks 1

That's fantastic Simon, superbly done. Looking forward to seeing the figure! So no pressure, obviously :D

In case you've never done Chinese import figures before, one tip I would share is to wash it in water and washing up liquid, and leave to dry before starting painting. The release agent they typically use is more persistent than that used in Europe, and can affect quality of the paint finish.

Good luck, not that I think you need it mate.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, robw_uk said:

stunning. the whole piece just "works" BUT the tarpaulin is the piece de resistance....

1 hour ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Superb. One to be proud of.

A' welcome back to the hobby' with a bang!

1 hour ago, Bullbasket said:

Have to agree about the tarp.....it looks brilliant.

John.

1 hour ago, clive_t said:

That's fantastic Simon, superbly done. Looking forward to seeing the figure! So no pressure, obviously :D

In case you've never done Chinese import figures before, one tip I would share is to wash it in water and washing up liquid, and leave to dry before starting painting. The release agent they typically use is more persistent than that used in Europe, and can affect quality of the paint finish.

Good luck, not that I think you need it mate.

Morning all

Thanks all round lads, really appreciate you all for taking a look along the way, and chatting about this one and your own endeavours....really enjoyed it. 

And yes Clive, I will give him a good scrub.....looking forward to getting him in the hatch, it'll bring it alive. Hopefully I'll be posting it in the RFI section by next weekend.....I hope..😬

Cheers

Simon.

• Like 3

IMHO, I think you have "defended" very well with the products to create the mud, if you continue like this, the mud will be perfect for anyone who sees it (even the most demanding modeller ... lol).

I love how the model looks...:popcorn:

Cheers Simon. 👍

• Thanks 1

Cheers Francis

At the Hinckley model show last Sunday I nearly gave in and invested in AK mud potions and powders but decided at the last moment to stay with W&N acrylic paste, paint and dirt from the garden...🤓

To be honest, I think they are getting a little out of control with these products now, and are charging ridiculous prices for what is no more than....acrylic paste and paint....🤔

Thanks again mate

Simon

5 hours ago, Redcoat2966 said:

Cheers Francis

At the Hinckley model show last Sunday I nearly gave in and invested in AK mud potions and powders but decided at the last moment to stay with W&N acrylic paste, paint and dirt from the garden...🤓

To be honest, I think they are getting a little out of control with these products now, and are charging ridiculous prices for what is no more than....acrylic paste and paint....🤔

Thanks again mate

Simon

i love W&N products (varnishes and oils) but never tried their paste. my mud efforts are horrendous so dont usually bother, however I have a small Russian (will be Finnish) prime mover to build at some point and that will be a test of white wash - so perhaps mud as well

Hi Rob

yeah, your recommendation on their Matt varnish was spot on. Really nice “actually “ flat finish. As regards the mud. All I did was get 4 kiddies toothbrushes from Poundland and with my thumb gently splatter layers of “mud” building it up as though it was  in reality. I masked out the areas where no mud was to be, and had a torn edge piece of paper towel I moved around to get a random line where mud creep finished......them did some slight additions here and there. Adding short piece of grass helps also as they randomly land when using the toothbrush.  

And as as it’s water soluble you can remove and overspray with a damp cotton bud. I practiced on some odd hulks I have to get it right first. Don’t hesitate to message me if you have any questions. 

Heres a tip - everyone goes for dark brown mixtures and splatter away. I prefer adding mud in it’s dry state or colour. I then tint and paint where I want it wet.....ie closer to the wheels and axles and at the bottom of the chassis etc......So you get variable shaded areas from wet to dry. 

Cheers

Simon

• Like 1