TAMIYA (PANZER III AUSF L Conversion) - Sturminfanteriegeschutz 33

Cheers Richard, much appreciated. I'm thoroughly enjoying at last the time to do AFV modelling. I've spent years reading about it.......and looking at the results of others on modelling forums.....thanks again.

Regards

Simon.

I am glad that you enjoy it. That make me hope that you gonna soon start another one as this heading to RFI. Good chipping. 

Evening all....I hope your all enjoying the perfect weather. Managed some time today after cutting the grass.....:thumbsup:. So got into final weathering stages.

All thats really to do now is the blending of the wheels, tracks and the top cover. A final panel lining and the figure I got coming.

Here's the front. managed to build up some mud where the fender is missing. I went for a dry mud look with wet areas more on the very lower hull as though is was going through occasional wet grass and puddles etc.

rtuc0vk.jpg

The wet area's can be seen just around the running wheels etc.

eYL5geI.jpg

The rear ......another missing fender and the build up and water creep on the bottom sections. Also decided to paint the fire extinguisher to add some sparkle.....🙂

68gPVj8.jpg

oRXTg2c.jpg

And finaly the top. Need to do some more work on the tarp to get some better 3D look and layers.

ucWvz8g.jpg

And finaly the figure I picked up off Ali Express for £3.50.....with free shipping....can't argue with that.....:thumbsup:....I haven't painted figures in many a year, so looking forward to getting it done when it arrives. I might get some extra time in before the weekend. If not then back on the bench early next week.

IzRhIf7.jpg

Regards....Simon.

• Like 5

Hi Clive, cheers mate. much appreciated. I've learnt a hell of a lot doing this one....wash's, mud etc etc.....been fun. Made some boobs on the way, that took some fixing, but all part of the learning curve......:bangin:

Cheers

Simon.

1 hour ago, clive_t said:

I've certainly learned a few things following this thread! :thumbsup2:

Anytime Clive,........ there again....could be "the blind leading the blind"....only kidding 🤗......you can always message me or ask on any particular points Clive, always pleased to help. I've started keeping a note book of formulas and sequences etc. Tough to remember sometimes what % mix for colours and mud etc.

47 minutes ago, FrancisGL said:

Stunning weathering!, i like a lot mud in the back, the canvas already looks magnificent, when the retouching will be a small work of art ...:popcorn:

Cheers Simon :thumbsup:

Thanks Francis.......:yes:.......the mud took a few layers with a toothbrush over the weekend......😬, but I like how it came out. Made a few mistakes in the sequence in doing the mud, but have made a note for the next one.....on to the canvas t'night, see if I can perk it up.....:)

Thanks again both

Simon.

Well Gents....hope your evening goes well. I'm calling it a day on the upper hull and tarp. Just going to get the running gear finished and tracks. Maybe get to that on Thursday night.....I hope......... If not then next week it is.

TMd1c5a.jpg

just got to also finalise the stowage as well......and pop it on....put that on the list.....😬

MlfdTIS.jpg

• Like 6

12 hours ago, Redcoat2966 said:

...And finaly the figure I picked up off Ali Express for £3.50.....with free shipping....can't argue with that....

I'm pretty sure, for 3.50, it's pirate copy, recast of original Alpine Miniatures figure 😉 

35145f10.jpg

Nice build so far, Cheers!

Edited by Venelin

7 minutes ago, Venelin said:

I'm pretty sure, for 3.50, it's pirate copy, recast of original Alpine Miniatures figure 😉 

Hi Vanelin

Without a doubt a copy.....hence the free shipping I looked for. Thought I’d see what they look like. 

Now that does look good. I really like the way that you've weathered the tarp to differentiate between the top and the under surface.

John.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Now that does look good. I really like the way that you've weathered the tarp to differentiate between the top and the under surface.

John.

Morning John...........thanks mate. I still have to tint one of the flaps to match the dust covered area. Then she's done.........

You know, I was just talking to a family member and realised this is the first model I have completed since I was in my late teens, as the last 30+ years have been so hectic with my career and other obligations; I never found the time for myself and what I'd like to do......I'm on top of the world at the moment....enjoying every minute..:thumbsup:🤩

Have good day mate....:yes:

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Redcoat2966 said:

Morning John...........thanks mate. I still have to tint one of the flaps to match the dust covered area. Then she's done.........

+1 ... the differientated "side" weathering of the tarp is excellent but as you said, needs to be completed 😎

Looks good as mentioned before. If I can suggest something it will be adding some dust on the rubber parts of the wheels.

Waiting for figure painting. 

Hi Kris 

Yes.........I'm yet to tackle the lower hull. I have to partially mud the inner hubs of the wheels and dust the vertical walls of the rubber parts of the tires. But I want to do the tracks first then match the wheel weathering colour to the tracks; once I have them on and fitted.

Regards......:yes:

54 minutes ago, FrancisGL said:

It looks fantastic!, very good work done so far ...:popcorn:

Cheers Simon :D

Cheers Francis

I managed to do a little more yesterday and finalised the tarp fold back. Then did a final mat spray. I have to say the Windsor & Newton Galleria Matt varnish is superb. Easily sprayedmixed with alcohol. Went down great with a totally flat finish. Great recommendation from Robw_uk 👍🤓

i might add some slight areas with a slight sheen to it as actual paint was in areas not effected by dust etc. Probably around the top hatch.

I won’t be back on it until later on the week😝. Anyway, at least I have the Hinckley model show tomorrow to go to 😃

Thanks again Francis

Regards

Simon

Afternoon all.

Managed some time recently, and got the tracks "nearly" done and on the running the gear. Looking to do a thin final panel lining wash on the tracks, and then a dust wash to blend them all together with the wheels and lower chassis.

Final additions will be some Jerry can's on the side rack, arial and the figure. It arrived super quick from the seller of Ali-Express. £3.50 and here in week from China - can't complain at that service :thumbsup:

Overall I have learnt a lot in doing this one. After many years out of the hobby as such, and now finally getting to use new materials and products; I know better the sequence to do things etc. Maintaining an overall cohesive look as regards lower chassis, upper hull, wheels as regards mud etc etc and to next time try and do all at once rather than separately in sequence. I think I'll actually plan in detail where mud will go, chipping, dust accumulation as sometimes you cover up some very hard work and it never get's seen......😬:bangin:

I aim to do a hard critique on this one, once done and keep some notes for the next in line on the windowsill. 

Anyway, here she is awaiting the "very" final touch's.

mZ2yEaL.jpg

xgPBGgn.jpgvn7SmnE.jpgAgX3Alk.jpgMcdpi4Q.jpggtWqkch.jpg

Edited by Redcoat2966
  • Like 8

Cheers Hewy.

That's one area I caught up a bit on technique wise. There are mud products, but I wanted to see if I could do without.....all part of the learning curve. I'm going to add final touch' like some leaves, bricks maybe along with the jerry can's. Maybe try over the weekend.

Thanks again....:yes:

Edited by Redcoat2966
  • Like 1