TAMIYA (PANZER III AUSF L Conversion) - Sturminfanteriegeschutz 33

Good evening all.

Well, I've decided I need a tandem project if the Wespe has hold ups or just need a change of scenery. I did plan to take a look at maybe a Matilda or some Brit AFV, but unfortunately due to budget restrictions it has to be stash build.....well, something from my small stash I managed to salvage from the divorce......:worry::swear:

Anyway, I went for a partial kit I had that my young son (you gotta love 'em) decided to try and help me one day when I was at work to finish the turret.......hence a turret-less AFV on hand.....:think:.So, what to do. I did think about a Bergepanzer version but came a cross the Sturm artllerie SIG 33 retro kit by PanzerArt at a show for a tenner.....Why not I thought.

So here's the next project to run in tandem.

6Uuuj5u.jpg

I've started some of the hull changes to accept the new top. Unfortunately, the Panzer III L was mid build so has some parts attached already that prevents me using some Aber fender upgrade I had knocking around, and the side emergency hatches in the lower hull are on. I might try and see if they come off, if not it'll have to be.....:think:...so the fun begins.

Nite all

Regards

Simon.

Edited by Redcoat2966
  • Like 6

Hi Soeren, yes I hope so. Unfortunately a not well photographed AFV; as they were pretty much all lost at Stalingrad. And no more produced after I believe. Managed to find some good research to aid detail etc.

luKX7rX.jpg

innOBnh.jpg

Bn4YDdF.jpg

I'm going to have to scratch build storage box's etc and the gun lock for travel.

All good fun.

Simon.

Edited by LONGSHANKS2966
IMAGE CHANGE
  • Like 4

Thanks Blaubar. I’m looking forward to getting my teeth into it this weekend. And thanks Sgt. it would be nice to have alternate images than what’s on the web. Specifically detail on the added fighting compartment and how it sits and the chassis and the gun lock.

thanks again

Simon

Edited by LONGSHANKS2966

Evening all

Not much to report, but got a chance today on and off with all the interruptions.....:swear:. Started to work through the old kit and get this resin fighting compartment fitted....not that easy, but persevering. Starting to see that the Ausf L Pz III has different lights etc, so some digging in the bits box over the weekend.

V6tMVTR.jpg

A front shot showing the extra steel plate beneath the main upper, and a new anti shrapnel screen which on the Pz III was more to lthe left.

epGdmun.jpg

Nite all

Simon

Edited by LONGSHANKS2966
  • Like 6

Very nice work so far. I really like the idea and the model. Keep up i really want to see the end result.

That being said Im a little disappointed that whoever molded the resin kit molded the gun covered with a tarp. Personally to my eye it would look better with the Barrel exposed. But each to his own. 

Cheers Soeren 

tough to decide where certain details go as I have alternate sources and drawings. Starting to feel with Axis AFV’s, it’s a free for all; as long as it makes sense.

i might add a few bits of extra crew stuff, bits and bobs they pick up. I might have to to hide some issues here and there.......:D

Simon

Hi Corsair, thanks for the compliment. I agree, the barrel would have been nice. But, it was all I could find to do something with a PIII chassis in light of the turret going south. I wished I’d gone for the Bergepanzer really. Maybe I’ll cock up another PIII again and get another chance...😉

cheers

Simon

• Haha 1

The canvas is very good, if it is painted well (it is difficult, at least for me), it will give a very real touch, although on the other hand you will lose a lot of the model, in any case, a very original and interesting project .. .:popcorn:

Cheers mate :yes:

On 05/11/2017 at 12:00 PM, FrancisGL said:

The canvas is very good, if it is painted well (it is difficult, at least for me), it will give a very real touch, although on the other hand you will lose a lot of the model, in any case, a very original and interesting project .. .:popcorn:

Cheers mate :yes:

On 05/11/2017 at 12:23 PM, PlaStix said:

Not seen one of these before. Looks very interesting. :popcorn:

Kind regards,

Stix

Evening all

Thanks both and yes, I'm finding it fun and interesting. I can have a little freedom on actual finish and detail as they weren't around for long. Designed and most lost in or trying to relieve Stalingrad. Quite a rough finished AFV, when looking at the pics. Seems like the fighting compartment was just dropped on the Pz III chassis. The pic at the start of the thread  shows where it actually overrides the fenders on the side. All measurements at the factory made in haste I think....:worry:

Well, not much to show. Got some more detail done today in between distractions and an enforced shopping trip......:think:. I started the scratch built towing connections at the front and managed to get one replacement fender strut done next to the installed headlight, curtesy of the bits box ( I think it was from a Tamiya Flakvierling that didn't get finished). Made up some of the Voyager tool box's too. Still have to do a damaged front fender in lead foil. I'm concentrating on the front portion of the chassis first.

iFrJBsg.jpg

pJvubG6.jpg

FhAFA4d.jpg

Cheers

Simon.

Edited by LONGSHANKS2966
  • Like 8

26 minutes ago, Soeren said:

That will be a.really unique experience ehe. It is finished :). Already looking good with all that detail.

lol.....Yes it will mate........it's a race between the Wespe and this little Geschutz.......I have about 3 unfinished other AFV's also.....it's a product of many years sacrificing my time for others..........:think:....everything from now on will make it to a display base, figures an all.... :idea:, thanks for the compliment on the detail. I'm making a few mistakes here and there, but slowly getting back into it. Any mistake here and there.....well, that's what crew stowage is for.....:D

33 minutes ago, Carius said:

Interesting progect Simon and a great work so far :popcorn:

Thanks Carius, getting back up to speed.....great work on that Matilda to mate...........:yes:

In defiance of the trend, I actually rather like the shrouded barrel. It's not modelled all that often, and adds rather a different look to the vehicle. Given that most of the time it was probably covered up anyway (unless in action), I think that it's highly appropriate.

Hi Rob, it does lend some realism......especially as the sighting optics were open to weather, would lend me to covering it in winter time aslo if I was the commander and I can't imagine they were always popping rounds off to the Ruskies.......

Talking about commander's, here's the figures I might go for.....well one of them anyway, if he fits the open hatch.

1P9ztmF.jpg

Cheers Rob

Simon.

• Like 4

I'm really enjoying this.  I think (Like Rob G) that the PanzerArt offering is different and realistic and I love those Evolution miniatures.

Fab work all round.

Will you be fitting ostketten?

Rob (M)

7 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Some really good detail work there. Nice one.

John.

12 hours ago, Etienne said:

Hi, the PE and scratch work are very clean ... nice project !!

E

Thanks Etienne/Bullbasket

The Wespe project has some “scratch” built, but majority PE. This “Pug ugly” Geschutz is requiring scratch in places I haven’t looked at before. So I’m really enjoying the challenge on this one. Plus I’m having to scour the Old PE bits box to find bits and bobs here and there. As regards keeping it clean. I’ve discovered after crying dries for one to two mins. It can be gently scrapped away with a 15a scalpel. Keeps everything crisp.

7 hours ago, robgizlu said:

I'm really enjoying this.  I think (Like Rob G) that the PanzerArt offering is different and realistic and I love those Evolution miniatures.

Fab work all round.

Will you be fitting ostketten?

Rob (M)

Thanks Rob, and yes I feel the same PanzerArt lends itself to dioramas more. Has that lived in look😊.......as regards Ostketten. If I can get some for a good price (on a tight budget😩) I would like to. Have to see. If not, it’ll have to be standard Fruils☹️...........

cheers all

Simon

Edited by LONGSHANKS2966
  • Like 1

Evening all

Just a quick update. What a long night.....finally got making the front tow points. They still need to be cleaned up and scraped smooth tomorrow once the plastic hardens completely. I might add a slight flange on the leading edge....have to see how my patience holds out....:think:

RKGIsok.jpg

Need o fix that gap in the leading corner of the upper fighting compartment where it meets the fender....little over zealous with the emery.....:swear:

amdKfUm.jpg

Tomorrow's hit list is to sign off on the front detail and build a lead foil damaged mudguard flipped over onto the small tool box. Oh by the way, be wary of Voyager PE jack detailing.........I gave up in the end.....I literally couldn't see the hole to put the pivots in........I'll stick with the Tamiya one that came with the Panzer III.....

Nite all..

Simon.

• Like 6