Turkish Starfighter With Extras - edited

franky boy

Hi everyone

Cant believe this one's come round already!

I'd like to enter with the Eduard Bundes Fighter/NATO Fighter re boxing of the Hasegawa kit in 1/48 scale.

I'm going to finish the build as the Turkish air force option out of the box the extras being one or two additions from the Daco improvement set for this kit. No others necessary as the kit has allot of extras already included.

I'm keen to have a camoflagued aircraft below to go with the Norwegian Air Force NMF bird (on the box art below) that I made for the NATO/Warpac 70's GB earlier this year. It was really a choice between this one and the Belgium Air Force machine also included in the kit decals but the orange on the tip tanks swung it for this one.

38021464171_3f44aa30bf_b.jpg

374a7772-84a4-425a-b2b7-ff47ce825bf3.JPG

That's all for now, looking forward to getting started.

James

Edited by franky boy
  • Like 7

Thanks Craig

Yes that upgrade set is an impressive piece of work. If they had a new fuselage in it then you would have a full kit.

Im having issues with Flickr at the moment but will try and post some more pics soon.

James

• Like 2

By the way, I forgot to ask.

Does anyone know if the Turkish Air Force Starfighters flew with rocket pods under the wings? Or if not a likely weapons configuration? Just looking through the Daco set to see what i can use!

Thanks

James

One load that was used operationally was a single M117 bomb at the ventral pylon. Aircrafts so armed were used for bombing missions during the Cyprus crisis of 1974, including the ill fated attack on a supposed Greek invasion fleet, that turned out to be a squadron of Turkish destroyers (attack that sank a ship and killed over 50 sailors). The aircrafts belonged to 141 Filo. Starfighters from the same unit later bombed the Nicosia airport, likely with the same load.

The F-104G could also carry 2 such bombs on the wing pylons, a load that the F-104C also carried in Vietnam. The use of a single bomb may indicate that fuel tanks were carried under the wings, unfortunately I have no clear information on this. The only picture I've seen of an aircraft taken in those days show only two tanks but no other weapons

• Like 1

Thanks for the info Giorgio 

Ive found a few photos online of the aircraft that I'm modelling at Fairford airshow in 1991 with tanks under the wings so will likely go with this configuration.

Thanks again

James

Thanks Lex

Just a couple of small projects to finish of and then hopefully I'll make a start cutting some plastic later in the week. Also need to control myself with the Daco set as it gives so many options!

James

• 2 weeks later...
On 6.11.2017 at 2:17 PM, franky boy said:

Also need to control myself with the Daco set as it gives so many options!

Yes indeed!  Quite some cross instruction reading  necessary! Especially as the Eduard kit is already an upgrade !

But very impressive

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mirageiv said:

Great choice James. Did you finish your RNoAF F-104 btw? It looked fantastic IIRC.

cheers

David

Hi David 

Good to hear from you again. She is indeed finished, pictures below. Are you taking part in this GB?

resized_07b66355-c3ba-484b-99cb-c49723ea

resized_e941f14e-86b5-4e5f-aba8-12a25f7d

So moving onto this current build a small progress report. And it is small progress too.

The cockpit tub had all of the raised detail scraped off of the side consoles, was sprayed with Gunze H317, some small detail painting was carried out followed by wash of 50/50 Klear and water mixed with Tamiya black and red brown. This now awaits a flat coat.

resized_f2d178cc-41f6-4743-8f26-08536bd6

The dash board piece was given the same treatment with the appropriate colours and wash mixture. The instrument panel has had the decal applied which is now drying. As this is going to be a closed cockpit build i thought I'd just use the decal. especially as the colour on the etched piece is nothing like the grey used in the rest of the cockpit.

resized_7596aa6e-2ff3-45e5-9d56-aa153386

The sidewalls with a few pieces of etch added.

resized_cc347b93-77bd-47a1-8abb-51c9b31c

All of the wheel bay areas were sprayed with AK Extreme metal aluminium. The insides of the air intakes also had the same treatment. This is my first try with this paint and i was impressed. Deffinatelly a possible alternative to Alclad. This then also had the same wash as everything else.

resized_7c8d5b36-48e8-420d-ae00-d0a4bf08

The jet pipe has also been painted and stuck together. The rear deck of the cockpit is also painted and ready for a flat coat.

The fuselage lights have also been drilled out and fitted.

Thanks for looking and sorry for the bad photos. The lighting is truly awful in that room.

James

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

Time for a long over due update as progress has been made!

So after getting the cockpit, u/c bay and jet pipe painted up it was time to glue everything together. A generally fairly easy task on this kit with a little fettling around the u/c bay. All of the inserts are also in as you'll notice and lined up relatively well. Maybe a little sanding around the back corners of part that covers the computer bay behind the cockpit. This seems par for the course on this kit.

resized_5e8a8a78-e0d0-47e0-9d16-ac3cbcb6

And a close up of the cockpit with just the Brassin bang seat to go in. And the nose cone actually lined up kind of ok.

resized_1f6fde54-5359-457a-b91e-575bf40b

And finally all of the control surfaces have had their ejector pin holes filled and the tip tanks and Daco under wing tanks have been assembled.

resized_6234e284-27f5-4c73-824d-9c3c42c3

So next up are the fuselage seams, bang seat and fitting of the airbrakes.

Thanks for looking.

James

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all and happy new year.

So the modelling mojo has returned after christmas and a bout of man flu.

First up the Brassin ejection seat was painted and finished. This is a lovely bit of moulding and I'm relatively pleased with the out come especially as i really dislike photo etch and there is allot of it to add to this.

resized_4d8399d1-34ea-4a5e-9c8a-7248976e

resized_305c8283-07bd-4db0-a8a5-ced94e9b

And installed

resized_fc09a1e5-6f45-4610-abd8-37071ff0

I also added a couple of lights on the underside of the nose that Hasegawa have missed of.

resized_27655a9f-f1b3-4d17-8c56-9f2d8200

And also some lights and other bits added from the Daco set specific to this aircraft.

06c160b7-b643-4b55-ba1a-bb695279f812.JPG

fc43a4b2-2d88-491f-83ca-87fbe429a917.JPG

resized_8d8d2ddf-419b-4190-8957-17bbc1a9

I also sanded down the raised surrounds to the fuselage lights and re-scribed them with a circle template.

resized_6f0c0f57-3e40-4f50-88c1-9bd07017

And finally added the etched part from the Eduard fret for the surround of the light on the fuselage spine which tidies this area up nicely.

resized_f16e055b-865c-4f3d-8074-bb107bd4

And now onto primer...

Happy modelling everyone.

James

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone

Painting has begun.

First of all a coat of Mr Surfacer 1500 grey was applied and any problem areas sorted. 

All of the fibre glass areas were given a base of black and then sprayed with Vallejo beige. The nose has also had a coat of Xtracrylix ADG grey.

resized_de618288-c867-40e5-bf1a-fad54829

The the tip tanks had their orange applied. This was sprayed over a base coat of yellow to try and produce a slightly faded mottled effect. It's actually worked quite well although the photos don't show it up very well. 

resized_ec434c6b-a567-4a2d-9759-62a1a627

The underside was then given a random blast with black to apply the grey camo colour over. All these camo paints are Vallejo Model Air by the way. And i forgot to take a picture of the finished underside.

resized_3103de4e-848d-49f9-86e7-87330075

And this is where shes at right now with the tan colour applied, next its onto the greens.

resized_6925cf1c-8933-490d-ad16-73e8bca4

Again black was randomly applied over the area to provide some mottling of the base colour and again my photo skills are lacking.

resized_2c59327d-3229-479a-8c2f-11d2deaf

Thanks for looking.

Comments welcome as always.

James

• Like 8

52 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Looks great James, excellent progress.

The orange on the tanks looks very good, it will certainly stand out against the camouflage.

Craig.

Thanks Craig

The orange is very bright, as per the real thing.

Im enjoying your progress to, it's good to see the 104 in some bright colours.

James

• Like 1