What to do with spare Spitfire PRXIX wings?

GordonM

Hi all

following on from the ‘build a Spitfire MkXXI using a PRXIX and Seafire FR46 wings’ thread, quick question. What could the ‘spare’ PRXIX wings be used for (if anything?) 

except for the radiators, the wing is the bowser or "D" wing, as used on the PR.IV, PR.X and PR. XI, 

What scale?  48th? 

the PR Spits have deeper cowl chins for a larger oil tank, and other details.  

this is perhaps the best guide easily available

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Merlin-Spitfires-Detail-Classic-Warbirds/dp/0958229651

51u4avNiuQL._SX358_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

edit this shows the deeper chin on the PR XI neatly,  these are avail as AM, and the PR XI has a fair few schemes as well.  

• Like 1

Sorry should have said 1:48, I hadn’t realised the Seafire FR46/47 had two wings in the box until after following the thread!

You can do a scratch build of KB 11 Fazan ;) - I used here old KP kit Spit Mk IX wings, PR XIX will be even beter without any blisters... Spitfire wing almost exactly fits to outer part of KB 11 - just small trimming is neccassary.

Cheers

J-W

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Combine them with a PR XIX fuselage and a bit of modelling... and end up with a Seafire 45... 

(That’s my plan, anyway!)

erm,   combining the PR bowser wing with a XIX fuselage gets you a ...... PRXIX.

A Seafire 45 needs the Mk 46 wing which is a spare in the Airfix Seafire 46/47 kit.... 

That combined with the XIX fuselage, will get you a Seafire 45.  

That’ll teach me not to read titles properly!  I read GordonM’s post about not realising that the FR46/47 kit had extra wings in it... and my brain went off in auto.  Fairly obviously, 1) you are correct and 2) I am a muppet...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Trouble is I'd need to buy another PRXIX to get the spare fuselage, which would give me another set of spare XIX wings along with another complete Seafire 47 - unless the 47 could be turned into a Spitfire 22/24? Not sure how much work there is to get a ‘looks ok at a distance’ model?

Edited by GordonM

You can build a 22/24 OOB as the Seafire kit is the 22/24 kit with extras.

I have built both and the box contents are the same except the extra spure with folded wings, hooky tail & bits.

Use the spare wings with a IX to make a PR version, then keep the IX wings to make a XIV when you have another spare XIX.

So assuming I’ve got this correct:

PRXIX + FR46 Wing = F21

PRXIX Wing + MkIXC/E (late C with ‘pointy rudder’) = PRXI

FR47 remnants = FR47 (!)

MkIXC/E Wing + PRXIX = XIV

FR47 without hook etc = 22/24

obviously radiator/ chin for PRXI etc need dealing with, other minor bits but the bulk of the airframes is covered above? Is the upper cowling shape different on the XIV to the PRXIX?

Yes, Gordon, your overview is correct in the general sense.  No, there's no difference in the cowl between XIX and XIV, aside from the pressurisation intake.

On 11/22/2017 at 5:14 PM, GordonM said:

Trouble is I'd need to buy another PRXIX to get the spare fuselage, which would give me another set of spare XIX wings along with another complete Seafire 47...

I fail to see a problem here ;)

1 hour ago, At Sea said:

You can build a 22/24 OOB as the Seafire kit is the 22/24 kit with extras.

I have built both and the box contents are the same except the extra spure with folded wings, hooky tail & bits.

True of the "re-release", but when originally issued the Seafire boxing only included the sting in the rudder (or rather, below the rudder) and the contra prop/spinner.  So be careful if you're trying to maximize spare parts!

bob

Any thoughts on fitting Eduard fuselage/wings to Airfix PRXIX other halves? Otherwise any suggestions for good, accurate (within reason) MkIX kits, preferably with a pointy fin/rudder. I know the Airfix club MkIX with Israeli markings has a late rudder, any others at sensible prices?

5 hours ago, GordonM said:

Any thoughts on fitting Eduard fuselage/wings to Airfix PRXIX other halves? Otherwise any suggestions for good, accurate (within reason) MkIX kits, preferably with a pointy fin/rudder. I know the Airfix club MkIX with Israeli markings has a late rudder, any others at sensible prices?

Most spitfire kits have the same basic layout,  so you should be able to fit a XIX fuselage to a IX wing with "some modelling skill"

given you can get an Eduard weekend Spitfire IX for under £15  that is pretty much it for a good cheap accurate kit.   And that the "IXc late"    I've seen IXe and early IXc for £12 at MJW Models.

After that your next bet is an ICM,  which would make a good wing donor, and comes with both rudders but The ICM has enough small flaws to be annoying. (thin fuselage, tricky to build, poor wheel hubs, undersized cannon  blisters,  poor prop blades,  etc etc) 

In some ways the ICM is a better donor, as the Eduard has recessed rivets and the ICM and Airfix don't, but even that just need some filler.   

But, if starting from "I'm going to buy a kit" rather than "I have an example nearly every 1/48th Spitfire kit ever made"   (not me oh no....oh alright I'm lying, and even worse they aren't built so I can tape different kits together and compare them. ..)  and you want good, accurate (within reason) MkIX kits, preferably with a pointy fin/rudder.  

just buy a cheap Eduard weekend   

The Airfix IX has some good shapes, but come from the era when Airfix were going for semi-wartime modelling verisimilitude and to get the best you need to a lot of carving and sanding....oh, and a stack of spares.     

FWIW, the Hase IX (reboxed by Revell) has a too short/slim fuselage, the Occidental ( reboxed by Italeri IX) has various other faults, more than the ICM, and the Otaki VIII (reboxed by Arii/MKatchbox/Airfix)  has no gull wing and it a little mixed up in details.

Thanks for all the advice chaps, most helpful. Now all I’ve got to do is convince SWMBO ‘you can never have too many Spitfires’ - once I keep Airfix afloat by buying a dozen P51’s.....