Boultbee Spitfire Tr.9 - AZ Model 1/72

CedB

1 hour ago, CedB said:

sad story about the Newfie

She was fine Ced, took a couple of months to heal, not helped by the fact that on every weekly visit to the vets she'd continuously wag her tail & bang it against something whenever anyone talked to her - & if there's one thing about Newfies, they get a lot of attention (& they love it!). The hair on her tail has now grown back so long you can't see any difference!

K

• Like 4

Thanks John - no need to apologise, avatars are tiny :)

Thanks Keith and Simon - Mols seems to know that lying around doing nothing is the required treatment. Some stretching this morning in her usual 'downward facing dog' hopefully shows she's recovering.

• Like 4

Good to hear Molly is on the mend.  I am tending my daughter's pound puppy and he is keeping things interesting (the carpet doesn't agree).

Spit is coming along nicely as always.  I love how you deal with these "fun" kits.

Also love the "crew".  Hadn't planned on building any of my "I flew on this" planes in flight but might just have to give it a go.

• Like 1

Thanks Phil - good luck with the puppy, they're hard work IMHO but worth the trouble!

Thanks Martian, very kind. Mols is getting better every day, thank goodness.

• Like 1

Oh hell. Sorry to hear about Molly and glad she’s getting better. Time seems to be flying, it’s almost been a week since I popped in on yer spit.:confused: 

The masks have gone on well, I’m actually enjoying a Ced build that isn’t over in a matter of days. Gives me chance to catch up. ;) 

Take care chap.

Johnny. 

• Like 3

Thanks Johnny, very kind of you :)

Molly's tail is up this morning and she's wagging bravely so well on the road to recovery - thanks to everyone for their kind comments and good wishes. Molly says 'Woof' 🐾

A bit more done on the Spit this morning. A bit of sihrsc action on the tips of the wings to get them square and then on with the tips:

24955868328_427b950a2e_z.jpg

I managed to achieve, for the first time, a feature that appears in the builds of modellers I admire - fingerprints in the TET:

37942135835_2f9a1ebaec_z.jpg

I had the same with the intake underneath. Focussing on positioning from the reference shots (the instructions specify 'somewhere underneath') I failed to spot the glue running onto my fingers:

24955878428_ecf7907c64_z.jpg

Another milestone achieved!

I foresee some Micro-meshing in my future.

• Like 17
  • Sad 1

On 01/12/2017 at 12:28 AM, perdu said:

(any spaniel is the best dog on this or any planet, apart from a Sporting Lucas Terrier)

Just fixed a quick typo for you there, Bill.  Zebedee said I had to (I think you might have guessed Zeb’s breed).

Glad Molly is feeling better; the great thing about dogs when they are ill is that they don’t fake it, so if she is wagging her tail again, then she is fenuinely feeling a bit more herself.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Just make sure that they don`t match any on police file Ced (finger prints , that is.)

Great to hear that Molly is more perky, woof back.

She will soon be ready for priming by the looks of here .

We all await ....

Simon.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Nice fingerprints Ced and not bad sihrsc work too neither and all

Molly betterish?

I'm not even slightly surprised, you know what they're like these span...  er dogs, are like

Determined to get as much love out of us as possible

Cos they give that all the time. 😉

• Like 5

Regards to Molly from Tilly my terrier.  She was ill last week, only £300 vets bill 😟

As for the gluey fingerprints, in my local model club that would call for “leaving the tent in the manner of Captain Oates!”

Cheers

Will

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Thanks everyone :)

I think Mols is back to (almost) normal and she's off to the vet on Thursday to make sure. She seems to think she's OK...

I tidied up the wings with a bit of sihrsc action today and glued the rudder on. Not worth a photo but some progress at least!

Hopefully more tomorrow.

• Like 6

Hello Ced, glad to hear she has recovered. Oh, let her think she's ok. So she will act (work) more and more till she's ok. Everyone of us knows,  who have had  a flu at a time.  Cheers

Edited by bbudde
flu not flue
  • Like 1

Thanks Benedikt - you're probably right that if she thinks she's OK then she probably is.

Thanks Johnny - I'll probably be using Micro-mesh on the fingerprints. I do like the Flory sticks but I have, ahem, a stock of MM so I should not forget to use it!

Some 'paint if black' action this morning:

27092629939_1af80fee23_z.jpg

Paint it black by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Tamiya XF-1 Flat Black. I do like this stuff although, when hairy brushing, it does seem to prefer to be sloshed on and then left to level itself. Any attempt to go over it again before it's dry seems to pull off the first coat. 'Aha!' I thought, I could take advantage of that. Rather than dry-brushing the radiators with silver later, I thought I'd try brushing over the almost dry XF-1:

38838965492_5b4713fba3_z.jpg

Dry un-brushing by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Lazy, me? As if...

I've also attached the canopies with Gator's Grip:

38153901454_92bb05abf4_z.jpg

Mainly to protect the figures during handling. Neither fits very well; I thought the back one was good before the interior paint was put on. Hmmm. The front one is suffering from me probably getting the seat too high but nothing a Berna can't resolve.

I'll tidy up the glue with a damp cotton bud after it's had a bit of a chance to dry.

• Like 15

The canopies fit just as well as mine did!  There was an “air” of the front canopy being lopsided but it didn’t show too badly in the end.  Probably the fact I discovered the gunsight about a week later whilst sorting the leftovers for the Spitfires spares box means I hope no one looks at H-99 too closely anyway.

I was looking at some photos of real Tr9s and the front of the rear canopy is wider than the fuselage on the real thing, so a spot of filler to fair it on is prototypical!

cheers

Will

• Like 2

You think you have problems with finger prints, imagine having to model with  set of tentacles! Great news about Molly.

Martian

• Haha 5