Boultbee Spitfire Tr.9 - AZ Model 1/72

CedB

Been there, done that, Ced. :chair: My method is to do any masking and spraying before the decals stage (also because I don't like to put on too many Future coats, they may end up filling in panel lines and prevent washes from flowing in properly)

Ciao

• Thanks 1

Impossible to get overspray

James's method

Yes

right

spray gets everywhere, you may, as a man with an enquiring mind like to know how I know this...

It does however look like your Spitfire

:thumbsup:

• Like 5

Thanks Simon, no responsibility attached! :)

Thanks Giorgio, Bill and Stuart :)

While I'm waiting for things to dry I've been playing with the images for Wacky Wabbit (here we go again....)

I found this in the GIMP help:

Resolution
Digital images comprise of a grid of square elements of varying colors, called pixels. Each image has a pixel size, such as 900 pixels wide by 600 pixels high. But pixels don't have a set size in physical space. To set up an image for printing, we use a value called resolution, defined as the ratio between an image's size in pixels and its physical size (usually in inches) when it is printed on paper. Most file formats (but not all) can save this value, which is expressed as ppi — pixels per inch. When printing a file, the resolution value determines the size the image will have on paper, and as a result, the physical size of the pixels. The same 900x600 pixel image may be printed as a small 3x2" card with barely noticeable pixels — or as a large poster with large, chunky pixels. Images imported from cameras and mobile devices tend to have a resolution value attached to the file. The value is usually 72 or 96ppi. It is important to realize that this value is arbitrary and was chosen for historic reasons. You can always change the resolution value inside GIMP— this has no effect on the actual image pixels. Furthermore, for uses such as displaying images on line, on mobile devices, television or video games — in short, any use that is not print — the resolution value is meaningless and is ignored, and instead the image is usually displayed so that each image pixel conforms to one screen pixel.

Well, that's cleared it up then. I think the main point is that last sentence. "... any use that is not print". Thanks.

I shall have a play. At least these are a bit bigger:

27824428029_8eb5432d81_z.jpg

IMG_8074 by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

I will, of course, post a link to the WiP when I start :)

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Courageous said:

Spend more and make it worth while, I'm sure you can find something else to buy. ;)

Not twenty minutes ago I had "I thought you were only spending five pounds..."

Humbrol Filler, Couple rolls Tamiya tape and a 2mm curvy line Tamiya tape, Tamiya TS80 Spray and a bottle Tam Ex Thin other odds and sods

Over thirty quid... and what was SHE doing delving in my wallet  :(

Its only a game

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Thanks Ian - overspray? Where? :whistle:  It will be removed!

Thanks Bill - ah, the old 'I'm here now so there must be something I need' conundrum. Frome have actually moved their counter to block off the tool racks, presumably to deter the light fingered. For me this has significantly reduced my spend as I now have to ask for exactly what I want. I mentioned this to the nice lady that runs the place but I guess their extra 'impulse' sales didn't match the pilfering. Sad really.

Thanks John - sadly the port side seems to be my favourite viewing angle and my plan is to have this, and Wacky, in formation over my desk so it needs to be right(ish). I shall persevere!

Booked your flight? What in a Spitfire? Wow! Where are you flying from? You won't regret it :)

At that dangerous stage this morning where you think 'nearly done'. Hmmm. Sticky out bits need to go on before touch up and, after all the pain I decided not to take any chances:

24743125467_cd11704786_z.jpg

Anti-ping by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Of course there was a small nub that needed sanding. Take no chances, use some ribbed tweezers:

38903109634_9b6391c11d_z.jpg

Curses! by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

They're long handled ones. Imagine my surprise (as they used to say) when, as I gripped the tiny part and applied the sanding stick, the tweezers twisted and flicked the mirror skywards. Luckily just on to the bench. I apologise to the residents of Bath (and probably Bristol) for the foul-mouthed tirade that burst from my mouth, the worst I've heard for ages. I changed to a pair of more reliable tweezers and, after drilling a suitable hole, applied the damned thing to the canopy frame:

25740344178_320cdcf866_z.jpg

Phew! You can see the 'custom decals' in that shot too. Enjoy it, it's the last close up you're getting! Probably.

Pitot and tailwheel glued in with Contacta and without drama. Or were they?

Mr Metal iron applied to the exhausts:

38715275805_2cd55dbfb7_z.jpg

Touch ups when those are dry.

• Like 7

Getting there, Ced :clap: 

May I add that, IMHO, there are no "safe" tweezers? Sooner or later, they are all going to ping off something .... 

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks Giorgio - noted! :)

Touched up. No more close ups, right?

39585822642_68aaf027e4_z.jpg

38719074585_f548d30c0d_z.jpg

Oh OK, just one then. I fixed the code letters with a tiny brush:

38907228894_7fbe0bf65c_z.jpg

Not perfect but it looks fine from normal distance. Prop fitted, she's now being left overnight:

27838072499_f5d039daa4_z.jpg

I'll satin varnish in the morning and then fit some gun covers and rip off the canopy masks. Yay!

• Like 13

Dear Lord me nerves is shredded on another bumper high-wire act of Cedulacious proportions!

Your good spirits never fail to shine through Ced.:worthy:

Offering no advice as still finding my way with masking & homebrewing decals - which makes me empathize all the more with such tribulations.:bear:

Grace under pressure.

As they once said about the hydraulically-operated Grace Darling exhibit at the Bamburgh Visitor's Centre.

Dreadful mess during the opening night - too much hydraulic fluid in the system and both oars shot off taking Lord Mayor Clive May's trousers with them. Headline in the Bamburgh Free Advertiser the following week- 'Darling: Nads of May'.

Tony

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

I think I would lightly brush a little Dark Green at the bottom edges of the Boultbee stickers to tidy that up otherwise this is a very nice job Ced

Your perseverance is incredible, - but I believe it

Nice one Ced, the codes are a credit to you

• Thanks 1

Thanks Tony :rofl2: I do try to keep my pecker up... fnaar!

Thanks Cookie - kind of you :) My PixScan mat arrived today so watch out for it in the Harvard thread, coming soon to a forum near you...

Thanks Bill :) Done! Well spotted. I missed the white on front of the 'Boultbee' on the port side, only visible from the front.

I keep thinking that the 'Bremont' transfer need touching up too, but that's the prop on the logo.

I might have another scratch at that 'I' when the paint's dry.

• Like 2

Ced,

Lovely goings on and tutorials about the best way you can remember the flight (I know a better way would be to have another one, and another one, but ... - or perhaps the real thing hanging from the ceiling ( if Mrs Ced is anything like Mrs John I can hear the anguished cry of "How do you expect me to dust that thing !!! )

I confess I wondered if I would see you in your museum shirt and badge earlier tonight, when Michael Portillo visited the Filton works and museum as part of his great railway journeys of Great Britain programme - sad to say no Ced, just a quick glimpse of Concorde (with Portillo smugly pointing out he'd often flown to the States on it) and a comment I thought had some sense - retiring Concorde is the first instance of a society slowing itself down!

Anyway, if you are considering building anyone's A380 kit, lots of film of Portillo raising the test set up up and then lowering them. Good references!

And a look at the runway at Filton looking very forlorn with vegetation growing through the joins in the concrete.

Edited by Whofan
spelling !
  • Like 1

Yes another fine example of triumph over adversity as 06/24 says, well done Ced.

Yes, the flight referred to is in a Spitfire from Duxford with Classic Wings ( I posted a status update on 27 Dec. ) it was a combined birthday and Christmas present from Vicki who had been saving money from the housekeeping all last year.

Cheers

John

Edited by Biggles87
  • Like 6

7 hours ago, CedB said:

Thanks Giorgio - noted! :)

Touched up. No more close ups, right?

39585822642_68aaf027e4_z.jpg

38719074585_f548d30c0d_z.jpg

Oh OK, just one then. I fixed the code letters with a tiny brush:

38907228894_7fbe0bf65c_z.jpg

Not perfect but it looks fine from normal distance. Prop fitted, she's now being left overnight:

27838072499_f5d039daa4_z.jpg

I'll satin varnish in the morning and then fit some gun covers and rip off the canopy masks. Yay!

How do you do this everytime, Ced?????

Don't have a clue, but i'm happy you do this. Cheers

• Haha 2