Lightnings thunder

Hello all... I’ve been busting my hump trying to finish this one off. It was supposed to be RFI’d with my Fg.1 Phantom build. Sadly i had loads of little things i needed to finish off. I should say this though When I was a teenager back in the mid 80’s I first saw the lightning. I knew someday I’d have one in my collection. Nevermind no one made one yet in my preferred 1/48. However thanks to airfix in the later 90’s i got my wish. And thanks to a friend that shrank his stash earlier this year i got my F.3 Lightning finally.

I hemmed and hawed for a while originally i was going to do a 92 squadron plane in the NMF & blue then the Green over silver. But in the end i opted to go with a Treble 1 plane circa late 1960’s. I also added my first attempt at a figure. Made up of three separate pilot figures. The cockpit is Quickboost as is the bang seat. Everything else is straight airfix. With that i will let you decide about the quality. 

J5ub6vh.jpgz1Jwy1R.jpg

Thought i would place the pilot on the wing for perspective.⬇️

jQZO82B.jpg

5Af72LK.jpg

A close up of the foiled burner cans stained to get color variation5Q7dlnX.jpg

LTIAhPu.jpg

X61BsfB.jpg

1Smh1bN.jpg

Me0V1YO.jpg

Ok a couple photos of the pilot. I looked for photo’s of RAF pilots from the era and tried to get the uniform and helmet correct. 111 squadron colors are Black and Gold and i saw a few helmets from the hunter days. I believe they also flew as the Black Arrow’s. The Red arrows predecessor. I also saw early lightning days of Black and gold helmets. I opted to paint my helmet that way. 

sTdnb8w.jpg

And a better photo of the pilot i think

SJ0v2W2.jpg

And finally a couple of the office and bang seat.o6oKSG0.jpg

BjEqZ0u.jpg

Any comments, criticisms, or jokes as usual. 

This was a duel build with my FG.1 Phantom. If you are interested here is the link to view it.

Dennis

• Like 21

She's looking splendid Fox4. Lovely bit of variation on the wings etc.

Some outdoor/sunshine shots required!

My android phone is struggling a bit here with the size of your photo files, I'll try again later.

And if those Tangmere museum pictures were any help, then that was definitely worth doing.🌟🌟🌟

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Nice finish, Like quite a few I suspect, I've got the same kit in the stash and after completing my Starfighter STGB build in foil the Airfix EE Lightning is one that's crying out for the same approach. Great job a NMF lightning is always desirable.

Cheers, M.

4 hours ago, MarkSH said:

Great job a NMF lightning is always desirable.

Thanks and I agree.

4 hours ago, bar side said:

Must try one soon.  Did you use alclad?

I didnt have an airbrush or alclad, thats just plain jane kitchen foil. For certain subjects foil gives the best look. 

4 hours ago, Ratch said:

Nice one - don't know how I missed it

6 minutes ago, russ c said:

Great looking Lightning there Dennis, don`t know how I missed it first time around.

Thanks Russ and Ratch ... We all miss builds from time to time. 

Thanks to all for posting and the kind comments. In reality i was just showing Nickred the build in his introduction post. He had mentioned Lightnings and i figured he would like to see my take on a Lightning.

Dennis

Dennis, he did; I am impressed as well. Very good for a first time, the work that you put in shows. Regular kitchen foil, eh? Buy your own, or swiped from the kitchen when the Significant Other was not home?

Joe:D

• Like 1