Jump to content
This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Tim Moff

The other Tims 1/72 ESCI F104G 'Tiger Meet'.....operator TBC!

Recommended Posts

Back to my more traditional 1/48 and 1/72 GB pair, I bagged this Yellow monster!

 

Not sure if I will attempt the Tiger Stripes....especially the Belgium version, which are quite difficult to replicate....there is a aftermarket decal set available.

 

The Canadian version seems more straightforward....watch this space....

 

XFTQ9qt.jpg

 

Should I bottle it, I got this set of old FROG decals, not sure how good they will be....there does seem to be a lack of extra decals in both scales, apart from DACO, which in my view are a bit pricey?

 

Any other ideas/options welcome! fancied the worn Danish look, but be hard to replicate in 1/72.....

 

 

SFlxwRU.jpg\

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another nice choice Tim, I have built a couple of these and found them to go together very nicely and look very good once complete.

I'm not sure if I have any 1/72 F-104 decals but I will have a look for you, if you were to choose another from the Frog sheet i would pick the Italian one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Another nice choice Tim, I have built a couple of these and found them to go together very nicely and look very good once complete.

I'm not sure if I have any 1/72 F-104 decals but I will have a look for you, if you were to choose another from the Frog sheet i would pick the Italian one.

Thanks - good to know, never touched one and 1/72 is not my best scale!

 

Italians use a NATO type cam - is the bottom NMF or grey - .....reference pics show it as a TF104G? Have to do some more research.

 

Over-the-sea-706x471.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Tim,

Had a look through the decal bank and here is what i have in 1/72 scale;

37352246504_c6d87ef645_o_d.jpg

 

Some of them are quite old but they have been stored in a dry container and look to be in good condition (apart from the USAF Matchbox ones which seem to have some staining) but I cannot guarantee how they will behave. Anyway they are yours if you want them, just drop me a pm. No pressure, but a Spanish one would be different ;).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The aircraft on your Frog decal sheet would have been a single seater as nobody made a TF-104 back then and is the squadron code which can be re-allocated to other aircraft rather being unique to a specific airframe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

The aircraft on your Frog decal sheet would have been a single seater as nobody made a TF-104 back then and is the squadron code which can be re-allocated to other aircraft rather being unique to a specific airframe.

 

Thanks - makes sense...

 

10 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Hi Tim,

Had a look through the decal bank and here is what i have in 1/72 scale;

37352246504_c6d87ef645_o_d.jpg

 

Some of them are quite old but they have been stored in a dry container and look to be in good condition (apart from the USAF Matchbox ones which seem to have some staining) but I cannot guarantee how they will behave. Anyway they are yours if you want them, just drop me a pm. No pressure, but a Spanish one would be different ;).

 

 

Very kind....Spanish does look interesting!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Tim Moff said:

Spanish does look interesting!

It does doesn't it, and they were the only operator to never lose an aircraft, which is saying something for F-104 operators!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A few bits and pieces that may be of help...

The Italian camo scheme has the lower surfaces in painted aluminum, generally quite dull. The TF in the posted picture is in the later overall grey scheme of course, as said the individual numbers were not linked to a single airframe (and the TF is of 20th Gruppo, the Italian Air Force F-104 OCU). The Italian Frog decals are for a single seater F-104G of 4th Stormo, to which 20th Gruppo was part from an administrative point of view (hence the 4-xx code.. however for a while they carried 20-xx coded aircrafts).

Speaking of Tiger Meet aircrafts, the Canadian decals included in the Esci kit have some errors but are useable. The Belgian scheme is incorrect in the painting guide but I have a correct guide I can send by Email if you decide to build this one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

A few bits and pieces that may be of help...

The Italian camo scheme has the lower surfaces in painted aluminum, generally quite dull. The TF in the posted picture is in the later overall grey scheme of course, as said the individual numbers were not linked to a single airframe (and the TF is of 20th Gruppo, the Italian Air Force F-104 OCU). The Italian Frog decals are for a single seater F-104G of 4th Stormo, to which 20th Gruppo was part from an administrative point of view (hence the 4-xx code.. however for a while they carried 20-xx coded aircrafts).

Speaking of Tiger Meet aircrafts, the Canadian decals included in the Esci kit have some errors but are useable. The Belgian scheme is incorrect in the painting guide but I have a correct guide I can send by Email if you decide to build this one.

Thanks Giorgio,

 

Much appreciated info!

tried to message you but would not work....can you email me that paint guide? Im still much undecided!

 

Thanks

 

Tim

 

tim_moffat@hotmail.com

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tim Moff said:

Thanks Giorgio,

 

Much appreciated info!

tried to message you but would not work....can you email me that paint guide? Im still much undecided!

 

Thanks

 

Tim

 

tim_moffat@hotmail.com

 

My mistake Tim, I didn't realise my inbox is full...

will send the plan by email !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Late starting due to work.

 

Got some parts off the sprue and some primer on......still not sure what scheme, some others are now doing the Spanish, the Belgium Tiger will take some work creating masks, I may go for the Canadian Tiger as its simpler, could do with blue tac masks....its wether the decals will stand up. Need to pilfer a pilot from another kit!

 

choices, choices!

 

RdghSe7.jpg

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been away a bit, now up against it, weeks leave coming up.....tried the kit pit decals, fell to pieces....was gonna go for the Canadian Tiger, due to other builds similar to the Spanish airframe, but that would be a gamble decals wise!

 

So maybe the Danish bird, given the 1/48 is Luftwaffe, there is also Italian or Belgium.....or I may hunt for the Canadian Tiger decals!

 

XiYxOUh.jpg?1

 

SFlxwRU.jpg

 

WY4PLmi.jpg?1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

More today, slow going!

 

kiArA9G.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Driving on - have ordered another kit in the hope that the decals are better....another 1/72 Starfighter will go in the stash for another day!

 

Up against it though as I'm being sent to the Winter Olympics next Weds!

 

paOoe7I.jpg

 

iszz8CD.jpg

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Tim Moff said:

Up against it though as I'm being sent to the Winter Olympics next Weds!

 

I've heard some lame excuses in my time..........:winkgrin:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 23/01/2018 at 6:41 AM, CliffB said:

I've heard some lame excuses in my time..........:winkgrin:

 Dirty job and all that!

 

 

Found myself a jet jockey, had to shorten him a bit and also the headbox on the seat!

 

Soon be ready for paint

 

yzQj0Db.jpg

 

 

Interesting story behind this paint scheme - gotta hope the reserve decals hold up better than the ones in the box....hoping they arrive today!

 

 

Tiger04th.jpg

 

 

http://www.916-starfighter.de/Large/Special/Tiger04.htm

 

12833-CF-104-833-439-sqn-Tiger-Meet-at-W

 

 

1969-12833.jpg

 

https://www.airlinefan.com/airline-photos/Canadian-Armed-Forces/Canadair/CF-104-Starfighter/12833/1903382/

 

 

Edited by Tim Moff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ok so had a mare/disaster trying to prime with white primer....:mellow:....will see hoe it goes, may be for the bin...:dalek1:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having a right laugh with this one!

 

Got the yellow on:

 

p19CG0q.jpg

 

kGX4LoX.jpg

 

 

Crazy trying to get white tac stripes on!

 

9ahMyvG.jpg

 

Black on:

 

pfuBeL5.jpg

 

Not my best work, in a hurry.....as I was taking the tac off, the stbd wing came with it.....super glue later...during this process I missed the delivery of the new kit (with hopefully replacement decals that won't break up!) - they should come today...some touching up with the black and yelow, sort the nose and get the decals on before PyeongChang....

 

9lwYUJo.jpg

 

mBSkqNK.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These arrived this morning, look a bit more useable!!

 

kA2G1ja.jpg

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks great!

Hope the best for the decals!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm struggling to keep up with the pace of this one - but it's looking great!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

last bits of paint on the nose etc....soon be time to test the decals....

L5pMQQw.jpg

 

9ihrNrq.jpg

 

wdvzh9S.jpg

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

last minute panic last night led to some cuts, missed out the gloss coat etc as I am off to the Olympics in Korea this morning.....will need to weather etc when back....not great pics, in the garage under lights!

 

 

dsntxMS.jpg

ZSeID2p.jpg

 

dI5Ni3U.jpg?1

 

adTG9er.jpg?1

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...