The other Tim's 1/48 Monogram F104G - hoping to be a NORM 83 Airframe - depending on Decals!

Tim Moff

Basic kit, but like the old school monogram

mnXpkji.jpg

hE4zHFJ.jpg

A fellow Britmodeller has some old various decals that should facilitate this build, hopefully they will get to me - the monogram ones look kinda old....

8qL2jOc.jpg

Cant beat a Lizard Cam wrap!

f10425+45.jpg

StarfighterZ8_1024.jpg

n83_f104th.jpg

• Like 9

• 3 weeks later...

Nothing much to show, been busy with work.

The kit seems to have a few fit issues and has been designed with wheels down in mind, so will have to do some 'carving' for wheels up!

Im taking it I need the C2 seat for the Luftwaffe version (the one on the left?)

ghHOR8F.jpg?1

Some grey primer on

MJGKeZn.jpg

Now the instructions would have you painting the AIM9s green?

Firstly would JaboG 34 aircraft carry AIM9s or were they more a strike role?

If they carried AIM9s then would they be white?

On 31/10/2017 at 8:01 AM, coneheadff said:

Good luck with that kit!

I might have some left overs for that camo. Send me a PM as I'm not at home right now and will probably forget it.

Alex

Thanks Alex - will PM you!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I believe the early ones had the C2 but were retrofitted with the Martin bakers. 

Thanks is the one on the right the MB seat? Im no expert and want to just use the kit seats, with the pilot who appears to be reading his map!

Let me check

ok @Tim Moff ... since you're going with an F-104G from the 1980’s correct ? The martin-baker is the one with the big shoulder pad looking items. The C-2 is more square and straight.  Since your going for a luftwaffe plane in Norm 83 I would say the Martin-Baker would be correct. The early planes would have been retro fitted by then. I say that simply because the Martin-baker Mk-7 had been around for at least 12-15 years by then. It was standard in later F-4 phantoms and many aircraft. Im hoping this helps. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Thanks 1

I think the seat on the left is more like the MB one, and you would need an MB one for the camo scheme you want to do.

AIM-9's are definitely white, not green, although training rounds can be different colours. And yes JG 34 were a strike unit so more likely to carry bombs + rockets than AIM-9's but they could be carried.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Let me check

ok @Tim Moff ... since you're going with an F-104G from the 1980’s correct ? The martin-baker is the one with the big shoulder pad looking items. The C-2 is more square and straight.  Since your going for a luftwaffe plane in Norm 83 I would say the Martin-Baker would be correct. The early planes would have been retro fitted by then. I say that simply because the Martin-baker Mk-7 had been around for at least 12-15 years by then. It was standard in later F-4 phantoms and many aircraft. Im hoping this helps. 

2 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

I think the seat on the left is more like the MB one, and you would need an MB one for the camo scheme you want to do.

AIM-9's are definitely white, not green, although training rounds can be different colours. And yes JG 34 were a strike unit so more likely to carry bombs + rockets than AIM-9's but they could be carried.

Thanks guys - mucho appreciated!

• Like 1

Seats in the Luftwaffe F-104 fleet were replaced starting in late '60s (1967 or 68) so your aircraft would have the Martin Baker (part 51 on the instruction sheet). In the mid '70s the Luftwaffe also started introducing the longer exhaust nozzle of the F-104S and F-4E, up to you to decide if adding this detail if it's not included in the kit. It's not too noticeable if you don't know what they look like..

I don't think I've seen a picture of an aircraft of JaBoG-34 carrying a Sidewinder, makes sense as this unit was tasked with strike missions. Speaking of strike missions though there's a picture in the AirDoc book of an aircraft of this unit in the same lizard scheme carrying a B61 nuke...

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Yeah i just found this from the Joe Baugher F-104 pages.

“The ejector seat initially fitted was the Lockheed Model C-2 upward-firing seat, but beginning in 1967 it was replaced by a Martin-Baker Mk GQ7(F) "zero-zero" ejector seat.”

6 minutes ago, Giorgio N said:

Seats in the Luftwaffe F-104 fleet were replaced starting in late '60s (1967 or 68) so your aircraft would have the Martin Baker (part 51 on the instruction sheet). In the mid '70s the Luftwaffe also started introducing the longer exhaust nozzle of the F-104S and F-4E, up to you to decide if adding this detail if it's not included in the kit. It's not too noticeable if you don't know what they look like..

I don't think I've seen a picture of an aircraft of JaBoG-34 carrying a Sidewinder, makes sense as this unit was tasked with strike missions. Speaking of strike missions though there's a picture in the AirDoc book of an aircraft of this unit in the same lizard scheme carrying a B61 nuke...

Many thanks guys, appreciate the info. Will prep the AIM9s just in case, but may leave just the rails on. Not sure if I will update the nozzles!

On 20 November 2017 at 6:00 PM, Giorgio N said:

Giorgio is absolutely correct. Sidewinder rails would be wrong for a Jabo33 machine.

by the way, your image of a lizard '104 shows an MB seat as does the decal sheet instructions.

Martin

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Apologies for the break, busy work wise, now up against it!

Started getting the pit and bits done...

pDUKD9Y.jpg

zvwQjmL.jpg?1

Hopefully the fit will be ok - the mould is a bit warped and both lower and upper don't quite match at the intake area and rear!

WD9aScp.jpg

• Like 5

Got the RAL6014 Gelboliv on - now Im not sure its quite right?

Its as per the DACO colour charts, Mr Paint bottle, mottling first then the blend.....seems, maybe too olive?

AWi7VbH.jpg

EyHORW7.jpg

icjbD17.jpg

HlTeVq1.jpg

StarfighterZ8_1024.jpg

Now the Tornado SIG and other places say FS34079 instead of RAL6014? What do you guys think - im sure theres some knowledge out there! Time is short, once I mask up the RAL6014 that it....should I spray over with FS34079?

HELP!!!!

http://www.916-starfighter.de/Large/norm83f.htm

photo_9_1314305225.jpg

Norm 83

• Wrap-around RAL 6003 Olivgrün
  • Wrap-around RAL 7021 Schwarzgrau
  • Wrap-around FS 34079 Forest Green

This scheme came in three patterns: A,B & C (C was only used on early examples)

5697657.jpg

1277488.jpg

f10426+44.jpg