Wessex HU.5 with aftermarket decals and spares box upgrades

qn30jEkPz7

This has been lurking on the stash for a little while so this GB will encourage me to crack on with it. Neither of the schemes particularly appeal yet so I’m hoping once the glue starts flowing so will the inspiration

38012488272_b1a4c084f5_b.jpg

37990111486_e557a58173_b.jpg

Edited by LostCosmonauts
Title clarification
  • Like 11

The HU.5 nose looks a bit wrong on this kit and makes it look a bit too long and not chunky enough,.... but the shorter HAS nose looks fine,..... just my experience of building a few. Good luck whichever version you choose, a nice scheme is the overall light stone Junglie version,..... which later had a disruptive pattern of Dark Green added, as seen on the Italeri 1/48th kit box art;

Image result for wessex has.1 junglie

An early HU.5 with a short nose wearing the later Light Stone/Dark Green scheme too;

Or the SAR/ Plane guard,.... Modeldecal did a couple of nice RN Wessex sheet with various schemes on it;  

Xtradecal sheet for the HU.5;

Image result for modeldecal wessex

Xtradecal HAS.1-3,.... plane guards, anti sub and junglies.

Image result for modeldecal wessex has.1

Cheers

Tony 

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, LostCosmonauts said:

Much appreciated @tonyot I had just been perusing Hannants and came back here to ask if you’d used exactly that xtradecal sheet. £4 heading their way shortly I think

No worries mate,.....both sheets are very good actually,...... but you will also need some codes and serials from one of their generic sets too as not all are supplied in order to fit as many badges etc onto the sheet/s. You should be OK for roundels,..... the kit ones should be suitable anyway,

Good luck mate,

Tony

PS,....FOR INSTANCE,....here are the actual decals for the HAS.1-3 sheet,

and here are some of the options;

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 2

That’s good to know - I’ll do a bit of research on the generic ones to get. I could do with some of them anyway as I want to do an AEW Gannet from the Sword kit but as the gate guardian that used to sit at Prestwick airport and need to do some serial/code jiggery pokery

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Righty-ho - making a first start to this. 

Box open

38111289494_292e9a5c00_b.jpg

Decals procured (p.s. anyone interested in the Mirage 5 side of the sheet?)

37940983115_aecb35d13c_b.jpg

And some crew purloined from the Airfix Jet Provost that was on offer in Aldi the other week

23962670537_b6af53b55b_b.jpg

First up - tidying and then busying up the cabin interior

38111364194_c33120a0fc_b.jpg

• Like 7

Moderately busy now

38800012962_cf9924424c_b.jpg

Seats are repurposed crew ladders from a Matchbox Phantom so in keeping with the GB theme. Everything else is random sprue and sheet. I’ve gone for an impressionist interpretation adding some ribs and stringers, a rear bulkhead, seats etc. to try and make it look less spartan but without agonising too long over how many there are.

Edited by LostCosmonauts
  • Like 8

I’d been musing on the intake grill on the nose. The kit rendition (top left) is just a solid lump with some token panel lines so I’ve plucked some Alu mesh (top right) out of the loft detritus. Shaped and trimmed a bit to fit with kit part (bottom left) and then cut out the middle portion of the part and glued the mesh to the rear (bottom right)

23971837877_0cdd4afe61_b.jpg

I’ll let that set overnight and look on it with fresh eyes/mind tomorrow

• Like 6

I’ve trimmed the centre section I cut out into the dividing sections for the grill and glued it back into place

38131898954_a6bc414b0c_b.jpg

Mesh is a bit heavy but I’ll reserved judgement till I’ve thrown some paint at it and see it in-situ

At any rate it is better than it was OOB

Edited by LostCosmonauts
  • Like 3

The mesh looks great mate but if you have any, plastic strip would make a better job for the dividing grille.

Image result for wessex intake grille 

The rest of the build is coming along great too,...love the interior,

Cheers

Tony

• Thanks 2

I’ve being doing bits of this on and off - as of today we have something that looks helicopter(ish) and almost ready for some priming, sanding and filler

24073136617_de17666fa0_b.jpg

That modded nose from the front

27160806219_5c2dec06da_b.jpg

Rotors, exhaust and tailplane just temporarily sitting in position while I get an idea of how it’ll look 

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...
39404638201_888400f841_b.jpg

Some more decals on and a start made on a base - just some rough sandpaper going to be glued down onto ply and then painted grass green. Marines will have their bases trimmed away and then glued down.

I’ve just realised I need some 12” numbers and letters to finish this off (PO for the tail and 514 either side of the nose) so that will have to be another online order

• Like 6