Hasegawa 1/72 F-104J - finished but too late to join the gallery

qn30jEkPz7

I know this doesn’t start till next weekend but want to leave this here to remind me

Exhibit A - an elderly 2nd hand Hasegawa F-104

38012487922_c89164b333_b.jpg

Exhibit B - the somewhat basic innards plus a rogue additional set of HobbyBoss decals

37334580784_0ea39252ce_b.jpg

Edited by LostCosmonauts
Abject failure
  • Like 9

• 2 months later...

About time I made a start on this. Aiming for if not a silk purse then something at least a bit less sow earish

I’m not a fan of the supplied seat or pilot 

27718588449_607eda40d1_b.jpg

Reshaping assisted by some scrap sheet, sprue and foil from the Christmas bottle of port we have

25625092098_bb90440350_b.jpg

With some side panels, paint, a couple of decals and obscured by a visor that might just about pass

39495286011_05715f9317_b.jpg

Edited by LostCosmonauts
  • Like 5

It's nice to see this one underway.  Presumably this is a Hasegawa product that pre-dates their current 1/72 offerings - do you have any idea how old the kit is?

Cliff

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, CliffB said:

It's nice to see this one underway.  Presumably this is a Hasegawa product that pre-dates their current 1/72 offerings - do you have any idea how old the kit is?

That boxing looks early to mi-seventies, but I think the tool originates in the early sixties. This may have been one that was also sold by Frog, as they had a relationship back then.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 3

On 06/01/2018 at 19:53, CliffB said:

Cliff

Afraid not - it has a red “C 3” label on it if that’s any help in identifying the vintage but I can’t find a year on the box, instructions, decals or sprues. It’s very basic with airbrakes and wheel wells just open voids (requiring some boxing in and reworking along the way) 

@Navy Bird‘s reckoning is probably about right given the aging of the paper & card

• Like 2

I’m not sure what the smallest quantum of progress is (at the risk of straying into politics I’ll name the unit the Davis-Barnier)

1 Davis-Barnier forward - fuselage tacked together and some wheel wells added where there was just interior void previously

39659676802_0f974a9540_b.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

This is destined for the shelf of doom. It can *#%& all the way off and when it gets there it should keep on going.

Having seen good efforts from others I decided to have a go at applying foil and start with some paint

26109470028_00c9d09ed0_b.jpg

Then a bit more

39271520084_afabe071ff_b.jpg

Canopy framing moulding is way too thick and there is just something looks wrong about the whole thing.

I decided to press on with the decals but despite care and liquid decal film they’ve turned into so much mush. Utterly unusable & I really can’t be bothered with buying nice new decals for this dog of a model so... abandoning it

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

There were several times when I was foiling my take on the 104 that I wondered why the hell I'd started, but it's a useful technique, maybe use the model as a test bed for future reference.

• Like 1

Be longer forlorn... I have a cunning plan. It won’t be accurate but I think I have enough random spare decals to represent (in the loosest sense) a USAF Q-104 target drone e.g. http://www.916-starfighter.de/916starfighter/pics/camo/55-2957 QF-104A 52957 AFSC Eglin 1964.jpg

Due to a weekend away I’ll still miss the deadline but it might save the model from the scrapheap

Edited by LostCosmonauts
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...