PK406 Tomcat F-14A update ##finished 25-1-2018##

Arniec

And this will be my third build.

Here are some pictures of the kit. Like the Heinkel He-111 I will start this after Telford.

The Box.

IMG_4181IMG_4183

And the content.

IMG_4185IMG_4186

And some extra's. I have a decalsheet from model decals (set 49) and a pitot tube from Master.

IMG_4187

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec
  • Like 13

• 4 weeks later...
On 30/10/2017 at 7:54 PM, modelling minion said:

Really great choice Arnold, who doesn't love a Tomcat?

The scheme on the Modeldecal sheet looks nice, but I really like the VF-2 one from the kit sheet.

Same here, I would have gone for VF-2 myself. Have not seen one of these kits for ages.

:popcorn:

• Like 2

We usually holiday down near Bridlington which alway's means a trip to Cropper's model shop,up to a couple of year's ago there were a half

dozen of these kit's on the shelf,I'm now kicking myself for notgrabbing a couple!

• Like 2

Yes, very early. Really the Matchbox kit represents the prototypes as has the large fences on the top fuselage instead of the smaller ones adopted during the flight test phase. However the gun fairing and vent configuration is typical of production aircrafts between Block 60 included and part of Block 85... with some simple modification to the gun the kit could be accurately built as one of the 12 prototypes/FSD aircrafts.

The aircraft in the Modeldecal sheet is IIRC an early Block 85, with the same gun vents configuration of the Matchbox kit but of course the definitive fences on the fuselage and a different beaver tail.

In any case, it's a very colourful subject, one of the nicest Tomcat scheme in the '70s.

• Like 1

I used Modeldecals sheet 49 'Tophatters' scheme on my Airfix Tomcat back in 1979. I believe the rest of the sheet is still at the bottom of my decal box. 

I'm looking forward to seeing this done as I don't remember the matchbox kit .

Colin 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well guys, 

I needed to get this build out of the dungeons here. But I made a start on Thursday evening with the back fuselage.

IMG_4269

I have put the wings back as on the flight deck and the canards are in closed position for that I all glued it closed.

On friday I wanted to close it down.

IMG_4270

Witch I did with some clamping.  After this I went on doing the cockpit. This is a very simple one and the seats aren't to great, but with a crew in it it will be ok I think.

IMG_4276IMG_4275

Then I closed it and put aside for later. I also placed the inlet ducts. As there are some fan blades in the kit for the inlet but nothing for the afterburner I decided to leave these of and paint hem myself. I first painted it silver after this was dry I painted black over it and with a toothpick I removed some black.

IMG_4274

In the back of the duct it will look ok.

And this is how far she is this morning.

IMG_4277

I have also been looking in my stash for some replacement armament, because the ones you get with the kit are not so great. the Phoenix rockets are ok, but the Sparrows doesn't look to great I found a set from Hasegawa for this and here are the replacement parts.

IMG_4272

I will also use the rocket launchers for the sidewinders as there are none in the kit.

This is it for now guys.

Cheers,

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

OK guys after ten days some new pictures of what has been done on the model.

I changed the tail. In the kit is a very early version. It isn't totally correct, but it looks like the deal.

IMG_4278

Then there were also no sidewinder railes for the pylons. So I cutted up some from a hasegawa set. and fitted them.

IMG_4279

And then I started the painting.

This was after I painted the white and grey.

IMG_4281IMG_4282

And today I did the black surrounding for the canopy and the silver edges.

IMG_4283IMG_4284

I Forgot to take some pictures of the rudders and the underside fins, but these are also painted as I will go for the VF-2 scheme out of the box.

I will give it tomorrow a clear coat.

That is it for now

Cheers,

• Like 9

That’s really looking good Arnold. I’ll be honest, I thought this one might be a little tricky to look the goods, however I’m happy to say your proving me very wrong. 

The quality of your Matchbox builds is very impressive. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

OK guys here are the pictures after the decals went on. I have now finished the model. These pictures will go in the gallery.

IMG_4287IMG_4285IMG_4286

I enjoyed this one.

Cheers,

• Like 7

One of my favourite's in the Gallery Arnold,there's a model shop where I holiday that up to a couple of years ago had a half dozen

of these kit's tucked away in a corner I wish I'd grabbed a couple now,great job!

• Like 1