1/48 - Westland Dragonfly HR.3/4 & HC.2 by AMP - HC.2 & HR.3 released

Homebee

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I'm currently putting together this model.

0_131e5f_dde2a6a6_XL_800.jpg&key=d70e45b

Could you please tell me what colours should I use? Is this a typical FAA colour? dark slate grey and extra dark sea grey? Is the cocpit interior  - interior grey green or light grey?

Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, asmodean- said:

Hi,

I'm currently putting together this model.

0_131e5f_dde2a6a6_XL_800.jpg&key=d70e45b

Could you please tell me what colours should I use? Is this a typical FAA colour? dark slate grey and extra dark sea grey? Is the cocpit interior  - interior grey green or light grey?

Thanks in advance!

Extra Dark Sea Grey and Sky, or Sea Blue Gloss for the overall blue scheme.

Could you please tell me what colours should I use? Is this a typical FAA colour? 

The Dragonfly in the picture is an RAF HC.2 so it would be in the dark green and dark sea grey camouflage scheme.

I always thought that the overall blue Royal Navy Dragonflys were in RAF Blue Grey BS381 633.

Edited by 71chally

I can't seem to find the whether or not the models released by AMP include UK Dragonfly version as used by the Royal Navy (with winch and rear fuselage bulge) are available yet in the UK.

I don't know if the model asmodean is building is the one, but with additional parts to make the stretcher carriers on the fuselage, perhaps Sergey you could confirm for me whether the FAA SAR version has been released, and is available in the UK?

I don't mind waiting til Telford if it is available and you are going to be there.

Edited by Whofan
clarification
  • Like 1

Finding pics of service era interiors are very difficult, but well worth looking at shots of the various preserved ones in the UK, and then being guarded as to whether they have been restored or not.

All that I can say from looking at photos is that they vary from black or dark grey interiors, to light interior green structure interiors with black instrument console and fittings.  From memory of looking at pictures the Navy examples seem to have the blacker cockpits.

Looking at pictures of scrapped examples is probably a good idea.

I haven't noticed the RN Dragonfly kit being out yet, and I have been looking - but I'm not that well plugged in!

• Thanks 1

i'm assembling this:

mWCyApH.jpg

It lacks the basic parts that you need for Royal Navy version. AFAIK in Poland there is no available HR.3/4. In general, apart from a few slight errors and imperfections the model is really good.

More about the colours - I thought that the Dark Green/ Dark Sea Grey was used since mid 1950 and the date of this particular picture is February 1950. I'm not sure if it changes anything though.

large_000000.jpg 

large_000000.jpg

I think that the cockpit colour is Interior Green lighten up by sun light. Or maybe there is some other color that might have been used by RAF that you know of?

• Like 1

In FAA service the interior was black forward of the pilot's seat and interior green (quite a light shade) behind.

This photo I took  is of an HR5 preserved at Elvington. Difficult to photograph properly but this will give you an indication.

I don't suppose the RAF ones were any different. (cue post to prove me wrong!)

resized_73107a45-060f-4db8-a99a-6c6df144

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Scimitar said:

In FAA service the interior was black forward of the pilot's seat and interior green (quite a light shade) behind.

This photo I took  is of an HR5 preserved at Elvington. Difficult to photograph properly but this will give you an indication.

I don't suppose the RAF ones were any different. (cue post to prove me wrong!)

The one at Weston has the same colours;

Burnham_2011%2520250.JPG&key=10568ddc1d7

For the HC.2 which I have for review it looks like they missed the fact here is a horizontal wing with end plate opposite the tail rotor as seen in this pi;

large_000000.jpg&key=5736a24b1d3a1eb425f

Not seen a RN version yet, but I do have the S-51 boxing and that has the winch in there.

Julien

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Julien said:

For the HC.2 which I have for review it looks like they missed the fact here is a horizontal wing with end plate opposite the tail rotor as seen in this pi;

large_000000.jpg&key=5736a24b1d3a1eb425f

The small tailplane and end plate seems to be unusual to WF311, I have pic of three HC.2s together and only 311 features it, perhaps unique or a trail fit?

It also appears to have had slightly modified main rotor blades with trailing edge extensions for a period.

For anyone with the kit what are the paint colours listed?

Edited by 71chally

32 minutes ago, 71chally said:

For anyone with the kit what are the paint colours listed?

The instructions list a whole host of colours on the front page, however not a single one is referenced throughout the rest of the instructions. The box are appears Gray/Green but the painting diagram brown/black very reminiscent of AAC camo.

Julien

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, 71chally said:

The small tailplane and end plate seems to be unusual to WF311, I have pic of three HC.2s together and only 311 features it, perhaps unique or a trail fit?

Not a trial as their are pictures of the airframe in Malaya with it still fitted.

https://books.google.dk/books?id=FkfdCQAAQBAJ&pg=PA49&lpg=PA49&dq=dragonfly+wf311&source=bl&ots=cpB_XGVNd2&sig=cFSFgVgZfhSbBL9l13bDCTuvQa4&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi5jY6vj8HdAhXpx4UKHcemDDUQ6AEwCHoECAQQAQ#v=onepage&q&f=false

• Like 1

The kit has been significantly re-engineered (along the lines of the Belcher kit) from the initial HO3/S-51 kit released earlier this year. Its obviously an attempt to get more options out of a single mould, nothing wrong with that by the way. However, I'm not sure about the change to windscreen glazing, it looks a bit of a clunky arrangement to me and will leave a seam down the middle, that will be hard to clean up particularly on the internal face - in my opinion the one piece glazing in the previous kit was better. Hopefully, AMP in future iterations of the kit will return to a single piece windscreen glazing.

It would be possible to make a HC.2 from the previous boxing, without too much effort, which makes it a strange second release.

Thomo.

Edited by The Tomohawk Kid

On ‎23‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 14:00, The Tomohawk Kid said:

The kit has been significantly re-engineered (along the lines of the Belcher kit) from the initial HO3/S-51 kit released earlier this year. Its obviously an attempt to get more options out of a single mould, nothing wrong with that by the way. However, I'm not sure about the change to windscreen glazing, it looks a bit of a clunky arrangement to me and will leave a seam down the middle, that will be hard to clean up particularly on the internal face - in my opinion the one piece glazing in the previous kit was better. Hopefully, AMP in future iterations of the kit will return to a single piece windscreen glazing.

It would be possible to make a HC.2 from the previous boxing, without too much effort, which makes it a strange second release.

Thomo.

I agree on the glazing issue, it seems a backward step from the other kit where it is one part. Perhaps they had problems moulding it? The two clear halves dont fit to each other rather to a shaped normal plastic part.

Julien

On 01/10/2018 at 15:18, asmodean- said:

Do you have the pictures of the engine compartment wall and ending of the pipe in cokpit.

tncdxSq.jpg

iYdnMGK.jpg

TMF4yXF.jpg

gwz8Vuf.jpg

You need to make sure you are not mixing up Westland and Sikorsky machines, both had very different service lives and diverging fit outs and variations. One has to be careful with Westland machines too, as they varied between Mks also.

Thomo.

Edited by The Tomohawk Kid

• 4 weeks later...
On 18/09/2018 at 10:02, Whofan said:

I can't seem to find the whether or not the models released by AMP include UK Dragonfly version as used by the Royal Navy (with winch and rear fuselage bulge) are available yet in the UK.

It looks like the Sycamore has jumped it in AMP's release schedule.

Thomo.

2 minutes ago, The Tomohawk Kid said:

It looks like the Sycamore has jumped it in AMP's release schedule.

Thomo.

Oh poo. I can wait a bit, but not too long, I hope.