Killer Tomahawk! *New Pics*

Hello BM's,

May I present Airfix's P-40B in 1.72 from the Pearl Harbour 75th AGS... with a difference:

IMG_1763.jpg

I modelled this P-40B to represent Flt.Lt. Clive R. "Killer" Caldwell's mount in 1941. Caldwell was the leading Australian air ace of World War II. He is officially credited with shooting down 28.5 enemy aircraft in over 300 operational sorties, including an ace in a day. In addition to his official score, he has been ascribed six probables and 15 damaged. Caldwell flew Curtiss P-40 Tomahawks and Kittyhawks in the North African Campaign and Supermarine Spitfires in the South West Pacific Theatre. He was the highest-scoring P-40 pilot from any air force and the highest-scoring Allied pilot in North Africa (source Wikipedia).

No new techniques on this one, but I thought I'd try and display the craft after a good few months in the field, sand blasted, dirty but well serviced and ready for action. Decals are from Xtradecal, courtesy of @murfv after a trade up.

Hope you enjoy the pictures and as usual critique always welcome. Cheers, JB.

IMG_1764.jpg
IMG_1765.jpg
IMG_1766.jpg
IMG_1767.jpg
IMG_1768.jpg
IMG_1769.jpg
IMG_1770.jpg
IMG_1771.jpg
IMG_1772.jpg
IMG_1773.jpg

IMG_17551.jpg

IMG_17561.jpg

IMG_17571.jpg

Edited by Victory-is-in-the-Kitchen
Updated with new antenna wire
  • Like 32

Love it.

I'm working on a P-40N and doing an Aussie version but there was an "M" option in desert scheme and I must admit it was a hard choice not to make it!

Yours looks superb

Congrats 

• Thanks 1

Very convincing Native war axe!

Perhaps the only detail that I find less persuasive is the antenna. The EZ Line ribbon form factor looks odd and out of scale – a better choice might have been Uschi van der Rosten's elastic rigging thread or similar.

Finish and weathering look excellent.

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Thanks 1

I love P40's and this one is no exception. Great job, very realistic and we are talking 1/72 here! I have this kit ready to be in a comparison and nostalgia P40 build just started so have gleaned a lot from your excellent presentation. I find aerial wires are really difficult though - getting the right type and representing convincingly.

Well done.

Mike

• Thanks 1

Thanks all for your kind comments.

Now I look back I do agree about the antenna wire and have just invested in some superfine Uschi rigging thread which is apparently designed to suit 1/72 scale. Should be with me in a couple of days and then I’ll update and post some new pictures.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Victory-is-in-the-Kitchen said:

Thanks all for your kind comments.

Now I look back I do agree about the antenna wire and have just invested in some superfine Uschi rigging thread which is apparently designed to suit 1/72 scale. Should be with me in a couple of days and then I’ll update and post some new pictures.

Personally, I found it impossible to work with; it even eluded my tweezers.

The P-40 looks incredible, by the way.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, celt said:

Ditto from me.

7 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Great finish,love it!

7 hours ago, Procopius said:

Personally, I found it impossible to work with; it even eluded my tweezers.

The P-40 looks incredible, by the way.

Cheers guys - thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.

Procopius - uh oh! Am I going to be swearing by the end of the next modelling session?! :swear: Hope it's not too fiddly for me, 'cause it ain't cheap!

Good evening BM's. The superfine Uschi rigging thread arrived and a I managed to 'rewire' the Tomahawk. I must say, I found the stuff great to use once I got the hang of it and until you're up close, you can't see it which is true to real life so I'm well pleased. Updated all the pics; hopefully  you'll all agree?!