Aussie P-40N

Winenut

After vowing not to start another WIP after my recent Huey build I immediately went out and started........ a new WIP.

Oh dear.

Anyway here it is.

I'm continuing my Aussie theme and building Academy's P-40N.

After being terribly ham fisted and heavy handed with the Huey I'm going to try for a little more .....well....."restraint" this time around:)

I'm underway so here's some photos....

Chocks away!

37296276124_2cb0f89edb_b.jpg

This is the version I'm doing

37296283124_9b41bf2594_b.jpg

38005135691_77c6c1d9ab_b.jpg

Sorry that photo was a bit hopeless 

38005117691_4c070c9fd3_b.jpg

IP came up well just with some black and then a white dry brush highlight. I'm going to "dab" a little gloss clear onto the dials for fun but I'm sure they'll never be visible when assembled!

And this is the rest of the bits and pieces before starting main assembly

38005137141_16cb2a7232_b.jpg

Might pick a few highlights out before it get's buttoned up....again just for fun.

Thanks for looking

Here we go again!

Cheers

Bruce

• Like 12

2 hours ago, giemme said:

Looks like a nice little kit, Bruce :thumbsup: The IP looks terrific, with a drop of glossy stuff on the bezels it's going to be perfect :clap:

Following :popcorn:

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio ...I'll try and keep myself under some sort of control after the Huey lol

2 hours ago, Beard said:

I've got one of these in the stash, but haven't got round to doing it as I got some Hasegawa ones cheap, so I'm interested to see how it goes together.

I think it will go together okay....I tend to find Academy pretty smooth and good value

2 hours ago, Bungalow_Bill said:

Looking forward to this!

Cheers Bill!

2 hours ago, (ex)Sgtrafman said:

Morning Bruce

Looking good mate.

Thanks .....Hopefully I don't bugger it all up like I often do !

2 hours ago, DennisTheBear said:

Like Beard I have one in the stash so I'm in!:popcorn:

DennisTheBear

Good one Dennis....enjoy the ride

Cheers all

• Like 1

Takes me back the best part of half a century

Airfix Mag had drawings to convert the Airfix P-40 into a N

So I extended the tail and painted her in darkly green

It'll be nice to see 'how she should have looked'

I'm along with you

K

Edited by perdu
  • Like 1

Well a bit more progress was made so here we go..

I had some little seat belts and since there's a fair sized canopy I whacked them in

These are the belts..

24186294688_30f7395161_b.jpg

This is the packety thing they come in

37985072996_6b44e4d11e_b.jpg

I just cut them out and put a bit of silver on the buckles with this

26262226169_1d576c145c_b.jpg

Bought it at the local art shop....

Ended up looking a bit like this after I wrangled and bent them in a few places and secured them with a bit of CNO CYA CNY YMCA.... whatever the superglue acronym is

24186238088_88d33c9fce_b.jpg

I fiddled a bit with the IP and popped some Future (Pledge in Australia these days) on the "bezels" (which is a fancy word for dials I learned from Giemme.....bless him and his knowledge and modelling skills!)

Here it is.....pity you'll never see it once installed :blink:

37329701814_4bde811391_b.jpg

Now to actually try and be useful instead of just a self absorbed modelling tosser I actually have a tip for anyone building this kit

When it comes to buttoning everything up you can get the IP and the Cockpit Assembly into the fuse very easily from "underneath".....in fact the cockpit assembly should go in that way.

I started from the front and got the cowling and radiator glued

38038436801_78c6b7590f_b.jpg

Once I'd done that I ran glue along the top and bottom of the nose section from the inside to keep the joins neat.

I then glued in the IP which was simple.....note in the photo above the points ("lugs") on the fuselage sides to locate the floor of the cockpit.... particularly the back two.

I kept the glue away from the section aft of the cockpit for the time being 

38038463221_a265515dd0_b.jpg

I then fixed in the cockpit floor assembly from underneath ....there are specific locators for the back lugs but not the forward ones

37985441666_0d0435a641_b.jpg

It might be a bit hard to see but this is how the locator at the rear of the cockpit floor should fit together (just two bumps of three visible near the very end of the cockpit floor) ....the gaps looks a bit weird between the cockpit floor and fuse but it is correct

24186677288_aaa87d6e3e_b.jpg

I dry fitted the rear cockpit/fuselage insert to check the whole thing was aligned correctly.....looked like everything was located okay

37330164364_d46d218bc5_b.jpg

Once that was done I started working my way along the fuselage towards the rear 

38038731971_dc3387196f_b.jpg

I lined up the join/gap at the tail end of the aircraft and then ran some thin glue along the seam.

This seemed to work fine

37330114724_13e33eea65_b.jpg

Once it was all buttoned up she sort of looked like this..

38007994802_993bf4716b_b.jpg

That's it for now

I'm having a good time with this so far and the kit seems to fit quite nicely which is great.

Thanks for looking

• Like 11

Excellent progress, Bruce :clap: 

1 hour ago, Winenut said:

the "bezels" (which is a fancy word for dials I learned from Giemme.....bless him and his knowledge and modelling skills!)

:D  :D  I learned that word right here on BM, from a fellow modeler commenting on my Spitfire MkVb IP :wink: Yours looks just great with Pledge on, BTW :clap: 

Ciao

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bungalow_Bill said:

Man, those 1/72 scale seatbelts look better than any I've done in larger scales.

Gaz

Thanks Bill.

You can get them for $5.72 INC GST!

I got mine at the SAPMA EXPO in Adelaide about 2 years ago.

A wonderful friend and fantastic modeller Paulo (Armoured Sprue) put me onto them.

I bought a packet of each major air power from WWII lol!!!! (RAF, USAF, LUFTW, JAPAN etc etc )

Cheers

Bruce

• Like 2

Okay .... in no apparent order this is the next stuff

The kit is very, very friendly

The fit is really good and with just a bit of simple care she glues up nicely indeed.

Nothing scary at all.

Here's the next batch of photos with the bottom wing section put in and then the top wing section installed

Bit of a dry fit first.....

24210513758_ed650e5a4e_b.jpg

Looks okay

Ran some Tamiya Thin Glue along the joins

24210502938_8f3381c2c7_b.jpg

Just needs a little more glue and a press together

Looking okay

26286775519_1df32865f4_b.jpg

Then its onto the top wing sections....

here's one in place..

38009923176_8a65c8a7cf_b.jpg

And the other...

38032069372_58d39564d1_b.jpg

I trimmed up the sprues and this is what I have left to finish her up

38032339422_71ebb29207_b.jpg

So far so good....fingers crossed it comes together with some ease

My great mate Jay and his youngest boy Per are about to land in OZ all the way from Gy in Switzerland.....I'm going to get off the modelling tools at some time soon and get onto the stoves to cook up our visitors some tasty food!

Cheers

Bruce

• Like 7

42 minutes ago, giemme said:

Steady progress there, Chef Bruce :clap: :D 

Ciao

LOL Giorgio! :)

I seem to be moving faster than I ever have with a build!

No idea why...... maybe it's just that the Academy P-40 is a nice easy kit......which it does seem to be

Don't worry .....I'll hit a hurdle with the canopy masking I'm sure! :hypnotised:

Happy Halloween from Down Under!  

Cheers

Bruce 

• Like 2

I've been really slack and made almost no progress

Nevertheless a few little tips

The bottom wings don't seal up perfectly around the guns.

26574984949_1392910571_b.jpg

I've ended up with two gaps on the right of the picture and one on the left. Also in the wings roots there are gaps but from a bit of research it appears these are correct. Also they were too well defined and proportioned on both ring roots to be just a "poor" fit

The wing roots on the kit do need a bit of attention to tidy them up but not much...there's a bit of putty to be sanded on the left side in the picture above

I filled the gun gaps with a bit of putty but it wasn't great. I found it easier to just drop in a bit of Mr Surfacer 500 and then smooth it with a bit of a wet finger

Still needs a bit of smoothing/sanding/polishing but sort of looks like this now. The leading edge of the wings between the fuse and the guns looks like it needs a sand and polish too! 

38350047301_698d2cef2d_b.jpg

I tidied up the interior green on the cockpit area and mounted the gun sight

26574991689_085e54f921_b.jpg

I've done most of the fiddly bits, wheels, tail wheel, prop etc. When the time comes I'll gloss them and weather them with the rest of the aircraft

26574994079_a55368f8f9_b.jpg

Right now it's really time for masking the canopy (which is probably why the project has ground to a halt) 

I'll push through that awful process and get it on and hopefully be in a position to do some pre-shading

Cheers

Bruce

• Like 9