Hasegawa JOV-1A Mohawk 1/72

hsr

In May of 2016 I built the Hasegawa OV-1B kit. Due to a series of unfortunate events the clear parts got totally messed up (a common theme in my builds). In my efforts to get new transparencies I ended up with an OV-1A and an OV-1B kit. I had only intended to build an OV-1B kit but since I now had all the parts to build an OV-1A, including one set of good transparencies I decided to do a JOV-1A. In my case all that was required to convert the OV-1A to the JOV-1A was the addition of the extra weapons pylons and the appropriate XM-157 and XM-159 rocket pods, which I already had. The JOV-1A was an Army modification to arm the OV-1A for close tactical support, although the official reason was  for fire suppression and target marking. These were deployed to Vietnam for operational testing and then withdrawn due to Air Force opposition to the Army use of fixed wing attack aircraft. The kit itself is of late 1960 vintage and shows its age, but there were no major issues other then the decals. They were slightly yellowed, but a few weeks taped to a south facing window fixed that. More serious they wing decals were over sized and they had color alignment issues. They did go down well with only minor silvering that was easy to correct. I used the Cobra Co. interior which I acquired from Lone Star Models.

So on to the pictures

wt3N5yNm_o.jpg

qbINZams_o.jpg

dF4JJZyT_o.jpg

3pK0AWEW_o.jpg

eGlHbD0g_o.jpg

F0EgP8F1_o.jpg

Next up is the Mach 2 E-1B. Enjoy.

• Like 16

5 hours ago, Eric Mc said:

Are there any still flying?

According to Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grumman_OV-1_Mohawk the last US Army one was retired in 1992 and the Argentine Army retired their last on in 2015, but there are several still flying at airshows and museums

Thanks