Shagbat! Mr Mitchell's other design classic...

Well I am delighted you all enjoyed it - because you won't be seeing it again for a while!

Major step forward:

38604955786_6f9f49aa82_c.jpg

38604956166_92734526fb_c.jpg

38604956336_3590fbdc10_c.jpg

38604956736_c34cd7b60f_c.jpg

The last one just for fun, with the engine nacelle very much NOT glued - but everything else is.

If you're wondering about the strip of yellow masking tape visible inside the cockpit in the view from the nose, it is deliberate; the only down side of these open windows is how you mask them and keep the inside the right colour.  I have a cunning plan, and only time will tell whether it works; the masks you can see are the thinnest styrene I could find, which is little more than paper - thin enough to bend and come out through the window from outside.  I built handles of tape around the mask plugs to help removal - and the strip visible from the cockpit helps to remove the starboard window.  If it doesn't work, then I'm poorly placed - but I'm pretty sure it will; it did in tests...

Anyway, I will now not touch this until tomorrow, giving everything time to settle down and cure.  Then clean up and move onto the wings, I think.

Really starting to look like a Shagbat now!

More soon

Crisp

[Edit:]  While I was on the subject of masking for future spraying (which is an issue with aircraft with as many openings as this one), I gave a debut to the new Telford acquisition that got everyone so excited a couple of weeks ago.  

Over-engineered?  Yes.  Expensive?  Certainly.  But this thing is the dogs' danglies!

38662264621_e198cd92af_c.jpg

I will be using this canopy for masking purposes, because my aircraft will be using the other one: Airfix provide two canopies, one shut and one open.  As I have said numerous times now, this is a stonking kit!

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 13

So...eventually the time has come to hide everything!!! I'm sure it mustn't have been easy!!!:(

Anyway it's for a good cause!!!

WOW those are circles!!! :gobsmacked:

I'm sure you pushed the second one in and...they're held together by the vacuum inside the fuelage!!! (if there's an air leak it must be for bad glueing, you can't certainly blaim  those covers !!!:P

How expensive? It really does the job!!!

• Like 1

Tremendous work Crisp. And I've learned something new - didn't know it was called a Bigsworth board before now. And this had me reading about Arthur Bigsworth, who seems to deserve a longer article than Wikipedia has given him - first pilot to sink a submarine from the air, and he also attacked a Zeppelin by dropping bombs on it from an Avro 504 - sounds like someone who should be better known.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, zebra said:

Tremendous work Crisp. And I've learned something new - didn't know it was called a Bigsworth board before now. And this had me reading about Arthur Bigsworth, who seems to deserve a longer article than Wikipedia has given him - first pilot to sink a submarine from the air, and he also attacked a Zeppelin by dropping bombs on it from an Avro 504 - sounds like someone who should be better known.

Indeed; I just love the fact that in the space of 5 years he went through Lieutenant RN, Wing Commander RNAS, Lieutenant Colonel RAF and eventually Air Commodore RAF!  

I hadn't realised that the RAF used RFC / Army ranks at the very start - the ranks they eventually settled on are essentially the same as the Navy: Flight Lieutenant = Lieutenant RN; Squadron Leader (a later invention, I think) = Lieutenant Commander RN; Wing Commander = Commander RN; Group Captain = Captain RN; Air Commodore = Commodore.  But Lieutenant Colonel is definitely Army!

Anyway.  Sometimes when you read magazine reviews of high-end kits (Tamiya, WNW etc), you see a phrase about it all how it's all so well engineered that it "just clicks together with barely a swipe of filler".  Though I have a Tamiya Swordfish & 3 WNW kits (Pup, Tripe-hound and Ship's Camel) in my stash, I have yet to have the pleasure.  However, I reckon this kit is pretty close to those standards.  I have been using a few "swipes" of filler today to tidy up the joins around the boat hull, so I am leaving them to cure fully before I give this a coat of primer.

But that doesn't stop me from playing and dry fitting, and these pictures show the engine nacelle, tail and undercarriage all just clicked into place.  It's also been time to wheel out my beloved stand to minimise the handling - this time the bi-plane version.

Anyway, a few pictures to keep you happy while things dry.  Note the elegant solution to the offset of the engine - in many kits getting this right is a bit of a faff; this just sits happily at the right angle without glue.

37966736234_dbcef81fbd_c.jpg

37966736704_1875aae657_c.jpg

37966737404_ea5e8550c7_b.jpg

37966737744_5bb99bb14b_c.jpg

By the way, this was not a small aircraft; once the tail and wings start coming into play she's getting quite large!

More soon

Crisp

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 12

Great dry fit!!!

This model is really tempting!!!

Question:

The front view picture shows the nacelle is slightly angled to... port (...am I learning?)

I assume it was to compensate the propeller torque?

If so, it's curious to see how the same problem brought to different solutions : angled tail for the Hurricale, longer wing for the macchis family and here angled nacelle?

...or am I wrong and it's just a bit angled , not being glued yet?:lol:

Edited by massimo2

Hello Crisp,

I was about to ask if the ruler was afixed on the Navigator table, but seemingly, it is !

I was about to ask too if it can possibly fixed on a movable board or thing like that.

Something like the board carried by U.S.N aviators ....

Veeeeery good job on your interior, did'nt saw the cutter, seem to be a precious tool !

The one you ask yourself why the hell did you waited so long to buy it, no ?? :coolio:

I will try to do half as good as you did !!

Thank for the inspirational work.

Sincerely.

CC

On 11/24/2017 at 8:05 PM, Pete in Lincs said:

tumblr_mqegal1Ac41qgggino1_1280.jpg

This picture is an interesting one.  The AP quite clearly states that the tailwheel without sea rudder is for runway operation only - i.e. not when the aircraft is used in amphibian mode.  But here we have a sea-rudderless Shagbat being catapulted (in Scapa Flow, unless I am very much mistaken).  Trials, maybe?

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

This picture is an interesting one.  The AP quite clearly states that the tailwheel without sea rudder is for runway operation only - i.e. not when the aircraft is used in amphibian mode.  But here we have a sea-rudderless Shagbat being catapulted (in Scapa Flow, unless I am very much mistaken).  Trials, maybe?

Or heading for its shore base home? 

I love that cutter Crisp, will you be taking commision work?

The conundrum, I would expect all ship operated Shagbats to be sea rudder equipped so I am tending to go for trials maybe before the AP was written or with a view to organising 'exceptions'

That is a hell of a tailwheel structure isn't it :)

Mighty mighty

I do love how you have simply allowed a good kit to shine

mmmmagic

• Like 1

I wonder who has taken the most pleasure from this project to date, you or us lot out here. Such a shame to see it closed up, reminds me of HPH Models Catalina seen at Telford.

A true labour of love/art

Kev

PS I seem to have missed the details of your circle cutter?

14 hours ago, zebra said:

Arthur Bigsworth - first pilot to sink a submarine from the air, and he also attacked a Zeppelin by dropping bombs on it from an Avro 504 - sounds like someone who should be better known.

Are you sure he wasn't called Bigglesworth? Or did W E Johns adapt his name and exploits for his books?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

I was about to ask if the ruler was afixed on the Navigator table, but seemingly, it is !

I was about to ask too if it can possibly fixed on a movable board or thing like that.

Something like the board carried by U.S.N aviators ....

The Bigsworth Board was portable - though the Walrus had a permanently rigged Observer / Navigator's table, other types were not so luxurious; my Dad's account of wrestling with his nav kit, including a B Board, and all his bulky flying clothing in the back of a Swordfish at night went some way to explaining why he preferred working with the Barracuda (and Dad was not large - 5'4"; taller guys must have found it all a bit of a struggle).  The board could, however, be clamped to a permanent structure like the table in a Walrus, which is how I have portrayed it.

I think the loop of rope at the top of this photo might be a crude carrying handle?

38639300611_e42c052521_c.jpg

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Aeronut said:

Are you sure he wasn't called Bigglesworth? Or did W E Johns adapt his name and exploits for his books?

Definitely Bigsworth - it is thought that W E Johns adapted his name, but I don't think there is proof either way.

Just for @longshanks

38392871561_ef9b82052d_c.jpg

http://www.brevecomodelling.nl/index.php/en/shop/tools/circular-cutter.html

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Definitely Bigsworth - it is thought that W E Johns adapted his name, but I don't think there is proof either way.

Just for @longshanks

38392871561_ef9b82052d_c.jpg

http://www.brevecomodelling.nl/index.php/en/shop/tools/circular-cutter.html

So jealous- she was all sold out when I got there on the sunday! I am saying no to roundel decals so this tool is going to be a big part of my modelling. Walrus looks fab and love the Bigsworth, could've done with one of those in my recent avenger.

Oh Crisp, what were you thinking when you started this build. Tha Seafire looked exquisite and now you've gone all retro! Having seen the mouldings, however I can sort of understand. The kit looks superb, just imagine if Airfix could throw as much ethusiasm into a family of S-55/Whirlwind kits? The breadth of the number of kits in this family is staggering! You can never have too many chopper kits. Anyway the Shagbat is looking superb.

Colin