Help with captured Bf 108 colours

bobmig

I have two photos of Bf 108s used by RCAF officers that I’d like some opinions on. PS*T belonged to W/C Stan Turner, and seems to be an overall single colour - actually not that dissimilar from the car in the background. I can only guess… perhaps overall ocean grey? Note that while the fin flash might look to be only a white stripe, Photoshop massaging does show it is, indeed, three colours. Would anyone care to speculate on this aircraft’s colour(s).

Next is GRM, the 108 of Group Captain Gordon McGregor. This machine is obviously camouflaged in two (or more) colours, except for the canopy framing which I assume is aluminum. The C1 fuselage roundel looks a bit mis-proportioned, and again, Photoshop shows that the upper wing roundels are a type A. Someone suggested that the aircraft might retain Luftwaffe colours of 70/71 with some grey cammo added. Hmmm… What are your collective thoughts?

Bob

PST.jpg

GRM.jpg

• Like 2

Hi Bob,

I'd imagine that the original RLM colour scheme was retained on both airframes which tended to be normal for captured aircraft. Over-sized roundels and national markings weren't uncommon on captured airframes no doubt to lessen the possibility of any blue on blue incidents - most enemy aircraft recognition training at the time relied upon silhouette training so over emphasising national marking seems to have been a way to try to combat this.

Nice photos and thanks for posting them.

Tim