Rigging material

Simon Cornes

For RFC types I am thinking that heavy black EZee Line is the best bet. Would I then use fine EZee Line for German airforce machines as they didn't use aero-section? I see that Paul of Modelling Tools now has EZee Line back in stock but if you can't get EZee Line, what is the best alternative? I notice that WNW also mention several different diameters of rigging depending on what its used for. Any suggestions on alternative sources/types?

Thanks

Simon

Simon I think that the heavy EZline(I have some and never use it) is too heavy and the thickness too inconsistent to represent the aerodynamic RFC rigging. Wingnuts themselves recommend the Prym knitting in elastic for aerodynamic rigging and you can get it at any knitting shop or ebay for very little money.

just bought some EZline myself recently. Got it for 1/72 and 1/32 with the thoughts that 1/48 if l need it l can use either or depending on the subject, size and what would look appropriate

What scale are you going to be working in? For 1:72 I use 1.5 or 2lb test monofilament fishing line. You can't see whether it's RAF section or not in that scale anyway.

Ian

• Like 1

1/32nd. I imagine that for 1/72nd monofilament is best but for larger models I'm afraid it doesn't really work - in my mind anyway. What amazes me is how thin EZee Line goes when you stretch it a bit!

On ‎10‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 9:29 AM, Beardie said:

Simon I think that the heavy EZline(I have some and never use it) is too heavy and the thickness too inconsistent to represent the aerodynamic RFC rigging. Wingnuts themselves recommend the Prym knitting in elastic for aerodynamic rigging and you can get it at any knitting shop or ebay for very little money.

Thanks for that recommendation Beardie.  Do you think Prym would also work on 1/48 kits? 

• Like 1

I think it would work but I would recommed that it be streched quite a bit during installation to make it thinner. It seems a fair bit more consistent in cross section that EZline but is heavier. It is a real shame that it only comes in white though. Grey would be perfect. I wonder if it can be died. Anyone know any way you could dye lycra?

For 1/48 scale perhaps Uschi Van der Rostens' rigging thread would be better as I gather that it is very fine although I have never seen any in the flesh to say from personal experience.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

The Uschi rigging is extremely fine - at least the two types I have. .005 and .003 inch. Actually too fine for me in 1/32 or 1/35.... plus the eyes aren't quite as sharp as they once were.

I use the Uschi line for 1/72 scale aircraft rigging it is very thin, and I agree it is too fine for the rigging of 1/32 aircraft.  The ezee line is controllable with regard to thickness through stretching although it can get a bit tense hoping the super glue holds.  

I've been using some Infini lycra thread with some success. It comes in various thicknesses (20 denier, 40 denier, and so on), and is marketed as rigging material for model ships, not that that precludes any other uses.

• 3 weeks later...
On 01/06/2018 at 23:27, Bear Paw said:

I use the Uschi line for 1/72 scale aircraft rigging it is very thin, and I agree it is too fine for the rigging of 1/32 aircraft.  The ezee line is controllable with regard to thickness through stretching although it can get a bit tense hoping the super glue holds.  

Interesting. I just bought the Uschi line, and find that its cross-section is flat.  Depending on the angle you look at it, it varies in diameter. Worse, if there is the lightest twist in the fixed line, you can see that it has a flat cross-section from any angle. Did you find a way to overcome this apparent challenge?

BTW: I am also suspicious that the Uschi line will lose its elasticity over time and start sagging. I already found that it reacts badly with certain types of paint when brought into contact with it, occasionally. Therefore, I decided to stick with 0,1mm black or transparent fishing line for the moment...

I have always used monofilament fishing line (tippet material is what it's called on the label) in various sizes for my 1/48 builds -- usually .004 or .006 inches diameter, AKA 2.2 lb. or 4.9 lb. test. One thing I don't think has been mentioned so far is the different implications for installation between monofilaments and any of the elastic lines, including EZ and Uschi. The elastics will obviously tension themselves and therefore don't require any through holes to be drilled. Monofiliaments, OTOH, do require tensioning weight to be applied before they are secured, which generally involves a partial hole in the bottom of the upper wing and a through hole in the lower wing, which will have to be filled and smoothed after the line has been secured and trimmed. That of course implies that one isn't trying to secure the lines to metal turnbuckles, a can of worms I haven't yet had the courage to open. The upside of using monofilament, besides its consistency of diameter, is its strength: it will actually strengthen the overall structure in the same way the flying and landing wires do for the real plane.

p.s. I've recently procured some Uschi line (both sizes), but haven't had a chance to try it.

I've been using stainless steel or Ni-Chrome 0.1mm wire for my rigging. Stretched slightly to help straighten it off the roll, and attached with PVA glue. I think it was about £1.50 inc shipping for 10 metres from Ebay.

fokker_eiii_2017_002.jpg

pt17_2017_002.jpg

I used it on this Sea King for the rigging to hold the stowed blades.

seaking_2018_002.jpg

• Like 1

On 28/10/2017 at 12:39, Courageous said:

I used the smallest mono-filament fishing line...worked well for me.

Stuart

Hi Stuart,

Your Tripe looks excellent, especially the rigging looks very realistic. Do you remember the diameter of the fishing line you used? Was it 0,1 mm (0.039 inch) by any chance? Or did you manage to find an even thinner fishing line? 

Rob

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Brotrob said:

Hi Stuart,

Your Tripe looks excellent, especially the rigging looks very realistic. Do you remember the diameter of the fishing line you used? Was it 0,1 mm (0.039 inch) by any chance? Or did you manage to find an even thinner fishing line? 

Rob

Not to be pedantic, but .1 mm is roughly .0039 inch, which in 1/72 scales to a little over .28 inches. I think at least some 1/72 builders use invisible mending thread, another, thinner nylon monofilament that (I think) is about .002 inches, or 1/72 scale .14 inches  diameter. I'm not finding any fishing tippet line smaller than .003 inch diameter, which apparently is generally called 8X size, or 1.4 lb. test. If you google tippet line, you'll find any number of brands available at sporting goods outlets -- Orvis, Rio and Cortland (Precision) are quite prevalent.

10 hours ago, Brotrob said:

Was it 0,1 mm (0.039 inch) by any chance? Or did you manage to find an even thinner fishing line? 

Drennen Specimen Mono, 2lb/ 0.91kg...0.14mm was used on the Tripe. I have got a spool of Uschi thread to try on a future build.

Stuart