Airfix Boeing 314 Clipper 1/144

Update - I'm not going to make it! Spent all week touching up the paintwork. Problem is I'm too much of a perfectionist for 'it'll do', but I haven't got the skill set to get it right first time. The black edges of the tail fins in particular are very tricky, in retrospect probably better to do them with narrow decal strips filled out with paint.

All painting now complete and into the spray shop for Future prior to decaling, but I simply don't have the time left for the Future to dry properly, do the decals, add Future matt coats and then finishing (attach fiddly bits, glaze the windows). Probably going to fall a day or two short. But thanks to the GB for getting me this far or it would have been the Shelf of Doom for sure.

But at least I got onto page 2!

Edited by TallBlondJohn
  • Like 1

I'm also a perfectionist and a slow builder, so I understand you perfectly! I'm not finishing my entry in time either. It's more important to finish our builds properly than rushing them to meet GB deadlines. So, don't worry too much and please keep updating this thread till it's finished!

Cheers

Jaime

Great work on the observation domes, mine was missing from the kit. My pathetic attempts at making one failed until being rescued by another BM member who kindly gave me his spare.

Picture of Clipper next to ship was him dropping the Mail off, in the passing. After all the aircraft is made by Boeing and it's well known they never tell fibs ;)

Please keep us up to date with progress 

cheers Pat 

7 hours to go on the GB and we are here, last coats of future drying before decals. The Pan Am Clipper (engine cowlings not fitted)

2018-01-14 17.34.52

and BOAC 'Berwick' at the same stage. This is the model that started life in the regular WIP forum but has been totally redone for the GB. Note that this camouflage pattern is mostly speculation!

2018-01-14 17.35.09

2018-01-14 17.35.24

• Like 6

OK, Its now two days beyond the deadline and I'm still fiddling. Upon planning the walk stripes, I noticed the direction finding 'bulb' aerial isn't central:

about-Boeing-314-Clipper-flying-boat.jpg

It's off centre to starboard to clear the walk line area. Its also always painted black - something I've missed in every photo. I can't find a build that's picked these things up either so all the instructions must miss it too.

So the aerials have been removed, new location hole drilled, area filled and sanded for more masking and paint. Which gives me more time to wibble about the lines. Did the RAF Clippers carry the full pattern? Here's a beautiful photo of G-AGCB Bangor:

Bangor zoomed

Note HF/DF loop, a couple of extra fin aerials, nacelle access doors, various ducts and openings (all not depicted on the Airfix kit), raised panel lines (Airfix got that right!) and the way the TSS scheme is helpfully invisible. Each RAF Clipper had its own camo pattern anyway. Note also the silver propeller hubs, those of Berwick and Bristol are black in the photos I have.

But we can clearly see the painted lines - presumably black - not so much walk/dont walk as 'Here is the spar, make up your own mind'. But do the walk stripes extend back down the fuselage? Some faint lines are visible but are they just panel lines?

On the other hand, why wouldn't they be there? Why would Boeing paint the wing line but not the full set? I suspect that faint line at the very top of the fuselage is a painted black line, its just too much for a panel at that angle and in the right spot. Pus the lines will add interest to the whole model. So I'll give them a shot. Which I think means I will need more Xtradecal stripes!

How does anybody ever finish a model?

• Like 1

Great pictures and very careful analysis of what they show. :clap2:

4 hours ago, TallBlondJohn said:

How does anybody ever finish a model?

I ask myself the same many times :D

Cheers

Jaime

• 1 month later...

Prepare yourselves for a slight surprise - I've only gone and finished the damn thing, two months late!

2018-02-21 16.04.30

The walk lines have taken forever (the entire Wizard of Earthsea on audiobook to be precise) - dozens of tiny pieces of Xtradecal to get the wee corners. The forty year old Airfix decals went on beautifully, wished some of their recent ones were as good. Then added the engines and details - I binned the oversized cockpit roof aerials and made new ones from brass wire, plastic sheet and filler. Well OK, I lost one to the carpet monster, then decided to start over.

2018-02-25 11.21.112018-02-21 13.35.55

Varnish was Klear matted down to satin to get the right scale look. The XTreme metals Aluminium finish is superb - any slight graininess is due to my incompetence. The fuselage under the wings is especially difficult to do well as you can't keep the brush head at an even distance, the floaty-wingy-thingies are in the way. That's my excuse anyway.

But if I do say so myself the raised lines came out rather well - all of them between the engines have been rebuilt with masking tape and Mr Surfacer. The angle and light in the photo above has exaggerated them a bit, they match the originals nicely. Note that the real thing had raised panel lines too - they are welds. So don't even think of cheating and trying to scribe them!

Last touch was Krystal Klear for the windows - worked perfectly for the small ones, the large ones were just at the limit of what would work but I managed it.

2018-02-25 11.18.352018-02-25 11.18.452018-02-25 11.18.232018-02-25 11.17.36

Gotta love a clear Airfix plastic stand! Yes the propellers all turn and make a 'neeooow' noise, but holding a hairdryer and a phone was beyond the call of duty.

Meanwhile, Bangor remains on the slip having its walk lines done (The Tombs of Atuan this time). I used to like decaling... maybe finish it in a week or two, I'll post in its original WIP then sum up in a RFI for both.

Thanks to all who have remained by the harbour drinking waiting for the last of the Flying Boat GB to make it to paradise!

Picture%20149.jpg

Edited by TallBlondJohn
another thought
  • Like 11

• 2 weeks later...