Avro Anson 1/48 Classic Airframes - Greco-Italian war

Hi everybody,

Tomorrow is the Greek National Day commemorating the rejection of the surrender ultimatum and the victorious repulsion of Mussolini’s attack against Greece. Those more interested in history, they may take a look here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greco-Italian_War . For the moment it is enough to say that in fall 1940 Greece was the only other country bar Britain, fighting the Axis in Europe, and this mountain war has been characterized as the first major military setback of the Axis powers. Nough with history though.

The below model, a Royal Hellenic Air Force Avro Anson in 1/48, is my small contribution to the commemoration. Eleven of these aircrafts were used during the campaign, having as their main duty sea patrolling and anti-submarine search. After the German invasion in April 6 1941 five of these aircraft (among which the depicted N56) managed to escape via Crete to Egypt, where they formed the nucleus for the renaissance of the Greek Air Force in the Middle East, under RAF command.  

It’s the well-known late version Anson by Classic Airframes that has been released later by Special Hobby. Being a limited run kit, it was a bit of a challenge in certain cases (i.e. engines and cowlings, landing system), but it was one of the best of its kind that I have coped with. It takes its time, with trial and sanding, but I believe it turns out in a really nice kit of an iconic WWII aircraft. I used the photo-etched provided and I just added a proper for the Greek version turret machine gun. Unfortunately, the decals provided for making the RHAF plane are not correct, being too dark blue and wrong font for the codes. I had to order custom made ones, which with a bit of care and a layer of Future were applied with no problem. The colors, Dark Green and Dark Earth, are from Gunze’s MrColor  range, and the more demanding Night undersides were painted with a mixture of 45% German Grey, 45% Navy Blue and 10% Russet, for a more realistic appearance (plain Black just doesn’t look right). Weathering with pastels and post-shading, washing with dark brown and black. I did try some detailing in the interior, but surprisingly not many things can be seen.

Hope you enjoy it.

Dimitrios K.

DSC07423_3.jpg

DSC07293_2.jpg

DSC07483.jpg

DSC07517.jpg

DSC07513.jpg  

DSC07493.jpg

DSC07486_2.jpg 

IMG_6859.jpg

IMG_6864.jpg

DSC07470_2.jpg

Edited by Dim_Thessalonica
  • Like 66
  • Thanks 1

Well, thank you all!

5 hours ago, Kallisti said:

How secure is that vertical aerial on the top? Mine keeps breaking off :(

This looks excellent though, well done

It is enforced with a small pin and glued with super-glue. But I did have a problem with the antena wire, I had to do the ringing twice.

What a wonderful job you have done on this kit and nice to see it wearing Greek markings.

As for the first setback of the Axis,..... don`t forget that the British also repulsed the attack by Italy from Libya and pushed them back despite their vastly inferior numbers and took thousands of prisoners!  This was Operation Compass and took place at around the same time as the Greek offensive into Albania. 

Cheers

Tony

Thank you very much for your kind words!

1 hour ago, tonyot said:

What a wonderful job you have done on this kit and nice to see it wearing Greek markings.

As for the first setback of the Axis,..... don`t forget that the British also repulsed the attack by Italy from Libya and pushed them back despite their vastly inferior numbers and took thousands of prisoners!  This was Operation Compass and took place at around the same time as the Greek offensive into Albania. 

Cheers

Tony

Tony, you are totally right! I should have clarified that this quote on the Greco-Italian war by historian Mark Mazower is about Continental Europe. 

Best

Dimitris

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Dim_Thessalonica said:

Thank you very much for your kind words!

Tony, you are totally right! I should have clarified that this quote on the Greco-Italian war by historian Mark Mazower is about Continental Europe. 

Best

Dimitris

I thought that was what you meant, but just thought that I would raise the issue,

All the best and well done again on your superb Anson,..... I will look forward with interest to your next Greek subject!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

On 27/10/2017 at 15:56, TonyW said:

Beautiful paintwork and very tidy construction.

The black undersides are a highlight for me, they look just about perfect.

Tony.

Dimitrios,

I have to totally agree with Tony, you have really nailed that underside and the whole model is super!

Ian

• Like 1

• 1 year later...