Air sea rescue - Airfix Sea King & RNLI launch

Calling this done. 1st boat, 1st helicopter, 1st diorama or scenery. Pretty pleased with the end result

26185194579_7c0a840c52_b.jpg

and a bit of a tour round 4 sides

37960709641_2209497387_b.jpg

26185194319_23af672c03_b.jpg

37907139016_5461cdc602_b.jpg

37929769982_5191ff0db1_b.jpg

37907562756_646c9840a1_b.jpg

Additions of scratch built interior in Sea King, PJ productions resin aircrew. Base is hardboard, strip pine and polyfiller. Helicopter mounting is acrylic rod with a steel washer glued on top, helicopter has two small magnets flush mounted to underside.

Edited by LostCosmonauts
  • Like 38

Like it a lot. I am going to have to give serious consideration to doing some kind of sea- or water-based diorama soon.

Nice idea with the magnetic attachment on the helicopter too, I guess that means you can detach it and show it separately as a stand-alone model... good thinking! :thumbsup2:

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, clive_t said:

I guess that means you can detach it and show it separately as a stand-alone model... 

Yes, both helicopter and boat can be shown seperately. The boat sits in a cut-out lined with some foam bike handlebar tape to avoid scratches & just lifts clear

• Like 1

Great to see this one finally finished. It's impossible to choose between The Sea King and the Lifeboat. Both are superb and deserving of their own display base, so I can understand why you've made them removable. But together they form the perfect duo in a way that few 'pairs' can.

Congratulations.

Badder

• Thanks 1

Nicely done.  A couple of 'finesse' observations:

1.  You've put some white water on the small bow wave, indicating that the Severn is moving, but it would have (does have!) much more white water in the wake from the stern of the vessel.

2. The helicopter would be pointing into wind and formating on the lifeboat, which is moving forwards, so the rotor downwash would be blown downwind (into about the helicopter's 7 o'clock in this dio) and not be directly underneath.  

3.  For winching to a Severn, a Sea King would start more or less astern of the LB and run in up the line of the wake so that the pilot could keep the best visual references all the way to the overhead. Yours is obviously moving away after winching!

All points of detail/pedantry which shouldn't detract from the fact that you've produced a very eye-catching dio.

Jon  (2100 hrs Sea King HAR.3!)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hello, i like your diorama very much!

Canu tell me whats the kit of the life boat? We in Germany have crews on numerous Seenotrettungskreuzer, we love and respect that seamen, saving lives under great danger and so we love the British ones too, with huge respect!!

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
On 28/10/2017 at 21:04, LostCosmonauts said:

Thanks for the tips @Jonners tbh I was going for how I could fit both in and look ok. I’ve half a mind to do a Navy 819 squadron HU5 retrieving a fallen climber so will have a mind to how it might be done in real life for that

Further to this pondering I’ve bought all the bits and pieces for the Navy follow up and mocking up the idea with a stretcher casualty being winched in

44766867265_883d982b86_b.jpg

Edited by LostCosmonauts
  • Like 1

On 10/29/2017 at 2:26 AM, Jonners said:

Nicely done.  A couple of 'finesse' observations:

1.  You've put some white water on the small bow wave, indicating that the Severn is moving, but it would have (does have!) much more white water in the wake from the stern of the vessel.

2. The helicopter would be pointing into wind and formating on the lifeboat, which is moving forwards, so the rotor downwash would be blown downwind (into about the helicopter's 7 o'clock in this dio) and not be directly underneath.  

3.  For winching to a Severn, a Sea King would start more or less astern of the LB and run in up the line of the wake so that the pilot could keep the best visual references all the way to the overhead. Yours is obviously moving away after winching!

All points of detail/pedantry which shouldn't detract from the fact that you've produced a very eye-catching dio.

Jon  (2100 hrs Sea King HAR.3!)

Wouldn't the Sea Kings wheels also be up?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dcrfan said:

Wouldn't the Sea Kings wheels also be up?

Normally, yes, for overwater winching, to make things slightly easier in the event of a ditching. Below 30ft, however, the audio voice warner - a very posh-sounding lady commonly referred to as Gladys - would call “Undercarriage Master Caution”, so the wheels would be down if the hover height was likely to be at or below 30ft. About 40ft might be more usual for working with a Severn, but it’s not unreasonable to put them down just in case.

The wheels in the kit are moulded with compressed oleos, as they would be with the weight of the aircraft on the ground. In flight they hung noticeably lower - but that’s mere pedantry again!

Jon

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good points @Jonners & @dcrfan - to be honest where there was a decision to be made I always went if favour of versatility and easy of disassembly/storage over verisimilitude (a Britmodeller sin if ever there was). Wheels down means that I can take it off the mount and display seperately (although that does then make the doorway crew look as though they’re taking an intense interest in a spot on the ground)

2 hours ago, LostCosmonauts said:

Good points @Jonners & @dcrfan - to be honest where there was a decision to be made I always went if favour of versatility and easy of disassembly/storage over verisimilitude (a Britmodeller sin if ever there was). Wheels down means that I can take it off the mount and display seperately (although that does then make the doorway crew look as though they’re taking an intense interest in a spot on the ground)

There you go that very practical consideration makes total sense. I was not trying to denigrate your excellent modelling, just curious. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Very impressive all round. One tiny suggestion for the stretcher recovery: is there any scope to add the winchman? In the real case, the winchman would always accompany the stretcher, because it took both rearcrew to manhandle stretcher plus casualty into the aircraft (while the pilot operated the winch control - it took some coordination!). 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, torqueofthedevil said:

Very impressive all round. One tiny suggestion for the stretcher recovery: is there any scope to add the winchman? In the real case, the winchman would always accompany the stretcher, because it took both rearcrew to manhandle stretcher plus casualty into the aircraft (while the pilot operated the winch control - it took some coordination!). 

Good point - have another crew set for the Navy version so hopefully I’ll be able to do as you suggest