Meng Soviet T-10M

BlackMax12

Next up another Soviet MBT.  This is pretty tiny compared to that Trumpeter 1/16 King Tiger and the parts are....rather tiny.  The tracks are indy link and almost too small for these old fingers.

The surface texture is amazing and the paint will have to be thin to not loose it  

OdPikHf.jpgyX3sE2L.jpgfE5wuzL.jpg73wnG5j.jpg21PFh9J.jpglMgET9z.jpgv7SShDH.jpg 

• Like 6

Thanks Reteip9

I sort of like these Soviet AFVs also but this one is a little too new, I think it was 1960ish.  I prefer the T-34 and derivative look, there's lots of vehicles built on the T-34 chassis that I haven't attempted yet and still looking for a 1/16 T-34/85

(that I can afford)

Thanks Plastix

I don't think this will be a major effort like the Kingtiger, for one thing there's no blasted interior.  I have quite a few models with interiors and it's a waste of time as they are pretty much hidden,

but I keep buying them, don't know why.  The 1/16 kits with interiors aren't too bad but the 1/35 kits are pretty much a waste of time and $$$.  For another thing it's so darned small after the 1/16 build, don't know how

you ever work on 1/72 and make the showpieces you turn out.

Oh, and what's a stash?  I buy and build and they never seem to sit, well this one did as I got the King Tiger the same day but that's unusual.

Lloyd

Edited by BlackMax12
  • Like 1

Looks like Meng has taken a page out of Dragon's book.  Why have 2 parts when you can use 10?  Makes the parts count more impressive I suppose.

There are 77 parts in the lower hull and suspension without even adding the wheels yet.  I've got one side done and it's supposed to be articulating but I'll

wait until the glue sets up solid before trying that.

Then there's the 174 indy track links and the 348 teensy pins to hold them together and the bizarre 2 piece jig to assemble the tracks.  I like the look of individual

track links but with 3 rollers under the top track run who really needs the hassle of building them?

This is going to be a fun build and starting off very interesting.  One thing is the parts fit is great, hull upper and lower just snap together and the 2 piece turret has barely

a seam where the halves join.  That's good.........

LloydNcoG6nd.jpgOKCHBuo.jpg0iEAWbK.jpgeArfgZg.jpg

• Like 2

Here is the little beastie with the tracks in place.  They call for 87 links per side but that's too tight and 88 per side looks better. The tracks are so wide there's

no clearance between the outside end of the track and the fenders.  Must have been fun if frozen mud built up in there.

pDgk7ec.jpg

G3oJtLM.jpgOjAxbzp.jpgYzOSkyZ.jpg

• Like 1

This one is on hold, sidetracked again.  

The buddy that traded me the 1/16 Kingtiger had a 1/16 Trumpeter T-34/85 in his stash which he will never build so I talked him into selling it.

One can never have too many 1/16 models and my old eyes are thanking me before I even open the box.

The T-10M will resume, eventually.  There's a 1/16 T-34 waiting and a 1/16 Jagdtiger that's supposed to be here Monday.

Lloyd

• Like 2

Plastix

When you start your build 87 track links per side as they call for is correct not the 88 I mentioned.  Turns out I had one of the little "joints" flipped over so one swing arm was out of place and when I fixed that my version of the tracks

was too loose.  I wondered why 88 links on one side was good but too loose on the other.  Anyways I removed one link on each side and with the suspension corrected 87 links fits fine and the suspension works.

Just thought I'd mention that and then get back to the T-34/85 I just acquired.  Love that 1/16 stuff.

Lloyd

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BlackMax12 said:

Plastix

When you start your build 87 track links per side as they call for is correct not the 88 I mentioned.  Turns out I had one of the little "joints" flipped over so one swing arm was out of place and when I fixed that my version of the tracks

was too loose.  I wondered why 88 links on one side was good but too loose on the other.  Anyways I removed one link on each side and with the suspension corrected 87 links fits fine and the suspension works.

Just thought I'd mention that and then get back to the T-34/85 I just acquired.  Love that 1/16 stuff.

Lloyd

Thank you for the heads up Lloyd. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Back to this little hummer and after two 1/16 brutes in a row this is "small".  There's a ton of tiny pieces on the upper hull front and back and the turret.

How did I ever work on 1/35 as even sanding the seams on the fuel drums is tedious.

Don't have any more 1/16 man-sized kits at the moment so I'll attempt to not butcher this poor little guy.

fgUKIRG.jpgc5PzL0o.jpgWlQoVjP.jpgmxSmUYW.jpg

Edited by BlackMax12
  • Like 4

For a long time, this was my fav tank in war thunder sim battles. So beautiful, I can't wait to see you finish it. Good luck with those tedious track pins!

Btw: that KT does look really impressive!

Thanks Blaubar

Yes I do like the look of the front of the hull especially, some kind of brute approach and it works.  Those tracks are fun (not) and they are done, just took them off so I

can think about painting the lower hull and running gear.

Thanks Stix

If you think you have small parts on your Pkz III just wait until you tackle this one.  Some of those little sensors or whatever they are on the hull are ridiculous.

Of course I may be just a tad spoiled by the bigger scale and still scratch my head over the folks who work in 1/72, now that's impressive, not entirely sane, but impressive, lol.

Take care,

Lloyd

Edited by BlackMax12
  • Haha 1

Despite being "a tadpole" (I do not want to think 1/16 as it would be, all a brute), I would say it is a magnificent kit, the turret and hull cast marks seem very real and well achieved, without need of extra work.
I love this model, the muzzle brake of the cannon is great, although being MENG, it must be quite expensive ...:popcorn:, cheers Lloyd :cold:

I have seen the final reveal at Scale Model Alberta youtube channel and was impressed with this model...

Thanks for showing all the in between build steps. That kit looks fantastic. Not havin experience with Meng myself, only the Meng leopard tracks and nuts, the manufacturer looks to be really promising. We´ll see how the late Panther A will be.

Thanks Francis

Yes, I'm really impressed with the surface texture, not so much with all of the fiddly little parts on the hull and turret even though they do add lots of detail and for sure

not too impressed with the track assembly.  Mind you the tracks turn out nice when complete just not fun getting there but not nearly as complicated as the tracks on

the Rye Field Abrams with their 1000 pieces either.

I think I paid something like Cdn$120 or so for this one so it's a pretty pricey kit but not in the same league as the 1/16 monsters.  Of course there's not a cubic

meter of plastic in this kit either.

I've got it to the point of starting to install all of the photo etch today and the cupola and turret machine gun so it's almost ready for some primer, not in a real rush on this one.

Thanks Soeren

The guy at Scale Model Alberta wasn't too impressed with this kit but I think it's pretty darned good.  There's a wealth of detail, the texture treatment on the hull and turret

is just outstanding, best I've ever seen, it's a bit fiddly but overall it's a nice kit.  Subject matter, well, different than all of the German or Allied WWII stuff hanging around forever

so that's acceptable too.

Far as photos go, I'm guilty of not showing enough steps, I usually spend a few hours doing something then realize I should have taken a pic or two showing the

in-between.  Don't have the capability or skills to make a video and that's probably for the best. When I do post a heap of pictures I feel that I'm hogging bandwidth

so I try to rein it in.

Anyway, it's coming, not a big rush or urge to finish on this one so when it's done it's done.

Take care,

Lloyd

Here it is as of this evening. Still have to build the machine gun for the loader's position, throw some paint on it, paint and install the tracks and call it a day.

Quite a bit of photo etch kept me going all afternoon and some fiddly work on the hatches and cupola but it's getting closer. That front end looks like it belongs

in a Transformers movie, like it.

s1ldwmy.jpgisf2lf1.jpgrQmWIz8.jpgKBofdSV.jpgUD02uuf.jpgfcPep5S.jpgo3zE6fV.jpg

• Like 2

Your T-10M looks great. Really clean build. I have one of these in my stash as well and well impressed with the mouldings. Incidentally these weren`t used in combat as such but were involved in the Prague Uprising of 1968 in Czechslovakia......