Bradley M2A3

Reilly

Hi Gaz,

Thanks for the link. There's some interesting stuff on that site and the flexible foil looks like a solution for a few things. Up to now I've been using the lead tops of wine bottles.

Cheers

John.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Turret paint job repaired and assembly complete.

sIMG_0565

It really does have a two tone look. Try and reduce that later.

sIMG_0567

Adding the decals was a pain. Maybe they were old but did have the tendency to fall apart. I'll have to paint over the missing parts. Some of them really were a bit of a joke. Tamiya seems to expect the decals to fit over the massive rivets on the armour plate so spent a lot of time lining things up and cutting holes in the decals only to have them then fall apart when applied, aargh!!

sIMG_0570

Problem with pictures is that the parts I missed show up rather well, back to a bit of weathering.

• Like 3

Ok, finally finished so here's some decent pictures of the end result.

s_D4R9476

s_D4R9485

At the start of this thread I said I'd compare the two Bradley kits, Meng and Tamiya. Here they are together.

s_D4R9490

s_D4R9491

Things were going well then this happened:

sMG_0574

It has since been repaired and returned to service on the display cabinet shelf. 

As to which kit was better; detail wise the Meng version wins hands down right down to the detail on the various tool clamps. No brass needed in the case of the Meng kit other than what was provided. Decals were of high quality compared to Tamiya which just fell apart in some places. That said some decals in the Meng kit were in places that are hidden from view and then when they would be in view they are missing, somebody made a few strange choices.

The clear plastic provided for the optics on the Meng kit make it look a lot more realistic than the lack of in the case of Tamiya. More need to follow this route but it does mean that they have to be protected (or added later) when painting the main vehicle.

Construction wise the Tamiya is childishly simple and it all fits together well without the hours of fettling that almost every part of the Meng kit required. Even my kak handed efforts with the Eduard PE on the Tamiya weren't too difficult although I didn't replace everything with PE. On the whole I'm pleased with the combined result and happy that I'm not going to be looking at another Bradley for some time. There's still one in the stash but its staying there for a few years.

In both cases the track delivered with the model was used rather than after market. The Meng set will withstand close inspection, the Tamiya rubber bands maybe not so close but I'm happy with the results.

That's all folks, thanks for looking in and the appreciated comments. 

Edited by Reilly
  • Like 7

It's interesting to get a comparison between two manufactures kits of the same subject, especially when they both turn out as well as these two did. Nice one (or two).

John.

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments. It took me a bit to get the enthusiasm going for the Tamiya version after I'd completed the Meng but at the end of the day it seems to have worked out. Its flying thingies next for a bit. I've a 1/32 Corsair on the bench but after that there's a Centurion needing some urban camouflage. 

Cheers

John. 

Edited by Reilly

• 2 weeks later...