New airfix 1/48 Mustang,

Selwyn

Hmm, good to see that the filletless fin is catered for and a choice of three canopies implies future options. But once again all the panel lines are engraved on the wings when in fact on the real thing they were carefully filled and painted straight out of the factory as standard. It really shouldn't be necessary to have to take out the filler on a brand new kit with all the research available now. 

A lot of post war aircraft had the wings stripped and the filler removed and some of the Aussie ones were built without. At least this way the modeller has the choice of filling the panel lines in rather than having to scribe them all in on a bare wing.

Chris

• Like 6

6 hours ago, noelh said:

Hmm, good to see that the filletless fin is catered for and a choice of three canopies implies future options. But once again all the panel lines are engraved on the wings when in fact on the real thing they were carefully filled and painted straight out of the factory as standard. It really shouldn't be necessary to have to take out the filler on a brand new kit with all the research available now. 

Blast! From the description  in the Airfix Workbench  articles, it sounded like all of the options to build a D from the earliest to the latest variants were  included; guess that's not the case, as the link supplied above shows both type of dorsal fin fairings, but not the ability to do the fillet-less P-51D-5, which is the one I have always wanted to do! Soooo, I had ordered one on that supposition....I guess I can make a D-5 from this release, which looks like it covers a D-10. When will I learn? Should have waited to see what subsequent boxings would look like, but figured this one was going to sell like crazy, so took a chance. Don't get me wrong- it looks like an outstanding kit in every regard, and I guess I can graft the fin from a P-51B/C onto it or remove the DFF and putty the area.

Mike

Street price for the kit appears to be sub 25.00 in the US, so the purchase of a fillet less tail ( if one currently exists) or a cuffless prop is not going to really break the bank for most of us.  or, if you cut the fillet off, and bodge it, (and there's another vertical tail to use as is, or to attempt to remove the fillet again)you're only out around 20.00 US.  That's half a tank of gas for me. I know some folks do not like aftermarket stuff or modifying parts on their own, and we all have limits to what we can spend on the hobby, but still, I think there's good value to the Airfix kit if the outline proves accurate and the omissions easily rectified. 

43 minutes ago, espeefan said:

$25  That's half a tank of gas for me. I know some folks do not like aftermarket stuff or modifying parts on their own, and we all have limits to what we can spend on the hobby, but still, I think there's good value to the Airfix kit if the outline proves accurate and the omissions easily rectified. 

$25, more like a quarter of a tank of gas/petrol to me. But fuel is ridiculously expensive here in Ireland. You're quite right about the price though. It goes for about the equivalent of $29 here. Very affordable particularly looking at the Tamiyas and Hasegawas. I very much doubt if I would be able to pass one in a shop should they ever make it this far. But then I do like Mustangs.

Edited by noelh

9 hours ago, Andrew Jones said:

Hopefully later releases will also come with a cuffless prop .

Probably a given; I'm just guessing here, but Airfix would need to address the major/noticeable changes listed below to cover early to late P-51D/K's (Some of these seem to be on the sprues already.) I'm sure there are others, but these are the ones I can recall reading about.

two different dorsal fin fillets; fin without dorsal fillet

two different styles of instrument panel shrouds

two different types of gunsight

two different seats

three different props

three different cowling vent panels: perforated, louvered, and blanked-off

three different sliding canopies

tail warning radar

faired and unfaired exhaust stacks

at least three different radio fits

IIRC, fabric and metal-covered elevators

at least three different tire tread patterns

at least three different styles of rear-vision mirrors

I'm not going to buy another, later release just to get the filletless fin- I will just modify the current release that I have on order. That's what I get for being in such a hurry to get the new-tool kit and for Airfix not being really clear as to the options included in the first release. (Besides, it's not my scale, anyway, but a beautifully restored Happy Jack's Go Buggy P-51D is based here where I live, and Jack Ilfrey, the20th FG  pilot of the original, was a Texas native that I had the honor and pleasure to have met and chatted with a few years back- the model will be a tribute to him.)

Mike

• Like 2

I'd be very surprised if the next boxing is not a commonwealth special,  with a K type  prop and/or a Korean special (tie in neatly with that RAAF Meteor)

50 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

two different dorsal fin fillets; fin without dorsal fillet

two different styles of instrument panel shrouds

two different types of gunsight

two different seats

three different props

three different cowling vent panels: perforated, louvered, and blanked-off

three different sliding canopies

tail warning radar

faired and unfaired exhaust stacks

at least three different radio fits

IIRC, fabric and metal-covered elevators

at least three different tire tread patterns

at least three different styles of rear-vision mirrors

the bold items are already in this boxing from a quick look?   Any others?

I'm interested to see what the Mustang buffs are going to make of it ;)

28 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

I'd be very surprised if the next boxing is not a commonwealth special,  with a K type  prop and/or a Korean special (tie in neatly with that RAAF Meteor)

the bold items are already in this boxing from a quick look?   Any others?

I'm interested to see what the Mustang buffs are going to make of it ;)

That would be excellent but RNZAF TAF sqns rather than the Aussies please!

Actually one of the Central American AF schemes would be neat but I suppose popularity dictates the "big players".

Edited by Smithy
Dodgy spelling