Meng 1/35 Königstiger "Beast of Nature".

Mengs 1/35 scale King tiger or Bengal tiger as the correct translation from German word Königstiger.

And that animal name was the reason to start this. 

As “Beast of Nature” was the subject for a scale modelling show in Friesland and also for the upcoming IPMS euro scale modelling on 25 November.

However my last tank build experience was over 25 years back.

Thought it would be an relative easy build. I was totally wrong!

By that I meant the painting and weathering job. Not the superb plastic fit.

Only one intervention was needed to align the suspension (those axis were the wheels are mounted on).

From late 1944 the Tigers camouflage scheme were (factory dilivered) hard edged patterns.
At SennelÄger (Germany) Schwere Panzer-Abteilung 509 (sPzAbt 509) received their new Tigers ausf. B in the last months of 44 till January 45.

It was then hastily send to Hungary where they were partly white painted for the operations in winter conditions.

From 18 January to 9 May 1945, sPzAbt 509 was continuously involved in offensive fighting in Hungary and (until the surrender to Americans) in Austria.

1k0.jpg

So instead of using simple hand airbrush spay technics a lot of effort was done to simulate the hard edge pattern.

To give the model more colour appealing I did not paint the tooling on the hull sides white.

But I suspect that in real those tools were also white.

The tracks are from Dragons mini tracks series and the tank crew figures from MiniArt.  

The display  is made from wood, filler and bakers flour.

Some steps from the construction process followed with final  outdoor photographs .

Thank you for watching.

1k0.jpg

1k0.jpg

1k0.jpg

1k0.jpg

1k0.jpg

1k0.jpg

1k0.jpg

1k0.jpg

1k0.jpg

1k0.jpg

1k0.jpg

1k0.jpg

1k0.jpg

1k0.jpg

1k0.jpg

1k0.jpg

1k0.jpg

1k0.jpg

1k0.jpg

1k0.jpg

1k0.jpg1k0.jpg

Edited by Grover 27
text correction
  • Like 24

Very nice work. I like the contrast between the hard edge ambush camouflage and the white wash and the 'patchy' look of the white wash which makes it look like it was applied by hand using whatever tools available. Also modelling show in Friesland? Where and when? I went to the Scale Model Challenge in Eindhoven last Saturday and had a lot of fun but it was 4 and a half hour with public transportation from Surhuisterveen so it would be nice if there was one a bit closer to home :lol:

• Thanks 1

25yrs since your last tank? Well, my first tank after joining BM followed a 35yr gap in ALL model-making, but yours is 25 times better than mine!

That would look great on anyone's shelf.

A very unusual 'half-job' on the camo, but something I have been considering doing myself... a diorama where the crew are in the process of applying the whitewash after a sudden snowfall.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the comments.

A quick reaction on reteip9:

modelling show in Friesland?

Yes. Locally organized (and no match compared to the big Scale Model Challenge event) ca. 30 modellers, small sales and little children making models for free.

But (and I bed you will be surprised) it was held in Hurdegaryp.

360.jpg

http://www.dehuisaanhuis.nl/nieuws/64781/modelbouwers-tonen-werken-in-it-maskelyn/

http://www.plakkers-inc.nl/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=3040&start=80

A very unusual 'half-job' on the camo, but something I have been considering doing myself... a diorama where the crew are in the process of applying the whitewash after a sudden snowfall.

I never suspected I would build a model with snow. The idea and setup was born during the actual build.
But you should definitely give it a try. It's totally different then mud or sand diorama's. 

Kind regards

• Like 2