Venturas at Night - 459 Sqn, 1575 (SD) Flt & VMF(N)531

Hi Ed,

Great to see these progressing. 'Coral Princess' was more likely a converted B-34 rather than a PV-1.

AFAIK no PV-1s were built with the 'glass nose'. The REAL difference however between the versions was the lower altitude rating engines nominated by the USN for the PV-1.

Steve Mackenzie

20 hours ago, Hornet133 said:

AFAIK no PV-1s were built with the 'glass nose'.

Hmm... thanks for making me think more about it! I hesitate to quote Wikipedia as a source but it does reference respectable books and backs up your thought about B-34's

B-34 - US designation for the Model 137 (with 2000hp R-2800-31 engines) bought for the Royal Air Force, 200 built and designated the Ventura IIA by the British.

PV-1 - United States Navy version of the B-34; 1,600 built. A total of 388 were delivered to the Royal Air Force as the Ventura GR.V, others to the RAAF, RNZAF and SAAF.

However it also says

Early production PV-1s still carried a bombardier's station behind the nose radome, with four side windows and a flat bomb-aiming panel underneath the nose. Late production PV-1s dispensed with this bombardier position and replaced it with a pack with three 0.50 inch (12.7 mm) machine guns underneath the nose.

and this is backed up by the BuNos of VMF(N)-531 PV-1s all being early ones. VMF(N)-531 had a variety of Venturas, all they had in common was that they were all clapped out. Ginter and Stanaway call them PV-1 Venturas so I am in good company.

Specifically

#6 Miss Represented, #46 (?) (the all black one) #52 and #53 Chloe had a solid nose with radar and guns in an improvised nose cap

#8 (?) Eight Ball, #25 and #30 had a glass nose with a non-radar cap

#51 Coral Princess had a glass nose,  guns and radar. The top windows were left clear and the bottom ones overpainted or (possibly) sheeted over.

48582418277_7ecd13edce_b.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks Ed,

I must look into that. The USN did use both what we call Hudsons and B-34s in WW.II.

I would not trust Wikipedia to get it correct one bit, however Ginter and Stanaway should be correct. Must look for my copies of the books to see exactly what they say.

• Like 1

On 8/19/2019 at 11:13 PM, Ed Russell said:

Thanks. I certainly have all your information about Venturas. if you are doing one with our set check this

http://www.hyperscale.com/2019/reviews/accessories/redroorrr72161reviewdc_1.htm

It's an easy fix and it also applies to the 1/48 set.

Cheer for the heads up Ed. 

• 7 months later...

Hi @Ed Russell.

I found this by following the link on Nothing Venturaed thread. 

I very much hope that you do get back to these. I'm veering away from military stuff and trying to get the hang of civil planes, but I love the Lockheed Twins and these are looking good! 

Great details with the research too. 

I was going to suggest that for one at least, you might want to have a go at making those big Fowler flaps and dropping them, but I can see I'm too late for that! 

An interesting detail I encountered with the flaps, and it took some considerable research to resolve the issue.... 

While the top of the wing has the add-on extension strip on the trailing edges above the flap area, the flaps themselves are NOT extended to match. They are parallel front to back. 

If you are familiar with the Special Hobby Lodestar kit, you will see that they supply a Hudson wing set plus a pair of p. e. strips to fit on top of the rails. And they have taken a lot of flak for this "shortcut" 

But they are correct. 

The flaps shouldn't be extended out to match the wing top, as represented by Academy, and Revell in 1.48 too! 

IMG_20200416_222350

IMG_20200416_222514

IMG_20200416_222308

There were a good few airframes were used in the Australian civil scene, if you need a change of focus for getting these beauties finished ‼️😎😁

But finish you MUST......... 👍

• Like 4

On 4/17/2020 at 7:58 AM, rob Lyttle said:

But finish you MUST......... 👍

Thanks Rob - as soon as I have cleared my current WIPs I should get back to them. The best reminder is that I see them every time I go in the model room..... no dark cupboard of shame for these guys.....

It is rather too late for the flaps but a fellow club member is going to do a Lodestar so I sent him the link to your post.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...
2 hours ago, Ed Russell said:

I will put the Fairchilds (Fair-children?) into temporary hibernation

I was going to say "how cute are they?!" but that seems a little bit insulting as a term for aircraft. But they do look good. 👍

So do the Lockheed Twins and I'm looking forward to seeing them progress. 

I have veered right off course and I'm building cars in the Heller Group Build at the moment! 

So a bit of this might help to fire up my interest in the Lockheeds. 

Before I wandered off down Gasoline Alley I completed the fuselage on the conversion of the Revell 1.48 PV1 Ventura to a Lodestar, but all the rest, nacelles cowlings engines etc remain to be figured out and done. I'll come up with a plan at some point 🤔

Good luck with these 

• 2 months later...

A bit of progress. I have spent quite while wondering where I was up to and where I had been. It's not a good idea to stop a build for so long. Anyway I think I am back on top of it, having made some notes.

You Beaut and Coral Princess have white undersides so here's the first coat of MM Insignia White

50868790108_f9d924ab6b_h.jpg

• Like 5

You are most welcome. It's been a long time since starting but it will be finished!

I picked up a series of stalled builds last year  and was amazed at how quickly they build up after that long period away.  

Chris

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Unless you want to do all US ones I recommend the DK Decals sheets. Lots of different colours.

Commonwealth birds are lovely but I strictly model Yank aircraft.  I I do love the DK decal sets.  In fact at least one Ventura will be from the one of the DK Aleutian sheets.  I've an Owl set for a Marine nightfighter as well.

On 2/9/2021 at 2:40 PM, Jackson Duvalier said:

I've an Owl set for a Marine nightfighter as well.

That is one of the ones I am doing - VMF(N)-531. The Owl instructions say three tone finish but the colour pictures are inconclusive.  The pictures are not of great quality and the Venturas are in such poor condition that it is hard to say what colour they are. I want to replicate this wear and tear, corrosion and fading but I am worried it will look too fanciful.

50931735346_4017cfe920_b.jpg

I am thinking for the upper fuselage a few rusty patches overlaid with masking material. then light blue also partially masked, then dark blue. The actual colours would have faded beyond recognition.

• Like 3

Trying to simulate the wear and corrosion on the night fighter I have sprayed a random selection of metallic paints and covered them equally randomly with masking film. This will be a start anyway. Hopefully when removed there will be the basis for some worn metal.

50931029838_cf944a9558_h.jpg

The underside of You Beaut is masked. I am going to take up @tonyot ' s suggestion that the MU used Neutral Gray and Olive Drab as the nearest equivalents to the RAF colours. This is conjecture but not unlikely.

50931029808_7a3f8be3e4_h.jpg

The SD one was masked with blu-tak, tape and paper to the standard patter and painted in MM Middle Stone and Dark Earth. The nearest Middle Stone segmant is too large and has been touched up with some freehand spraying.

50931718091_28f03d6af1_h.jpg[/url]

Contact tracing has temporarily dropped the ball here so we are having a local mini-lockdown which enables more rapid modelling! These guys might even get finished!

• Like 4

Looking really good Ed,.... remember with the SF one in desert colours,..... it didn`t have any guns fitted in the clear nose,...... so a blanking plate should be located here. I got to speak to one of its pilots after I made my model and I asked whether these guns were fitted or not,.... he said NO! 

Cheers mate,

Tony 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A bit more progress.

The night fighter seems to have been finished in the 3 tone scheme, although others in VMF(N) 531 were in Blue Gray over Light Gray or overall black. The theory is that the areas of metal which have been covered with masking fluid can be scraped off and the exterior colour splotched on over the metal. We will see....

50948863726_9806c2edc3_h.jpg

You Beaut has the Neutral Gray (which seems to be the same colour as the SMS Grey Primer) applied and needs to be masked off for the Olive Drab.

50948159898_7e31ec2d06_h.jpg

There was lots of adverse comment about Humbrol paint recently in our model club but a thinly applied coat of Gloss Black covered the SD Ventura nicely and dried hard fairly quickly. Maybe I was lucky and this new tin is better formulated?

50948964517_2f8c1690e1_h.jpg

A second thin coat was applied later and it looks fine.

• Like 2