Sword FJ-2 FJ-3

72modeler

I don't know if this will be a help or a hindrance, but wanted to seek the collective wisdom and guidance of the fraternity before putting glue to plastic. On the subject of the intake, nose, and gun ports, and bearing in mind that I'm still waiting for Her Majesty's Snail Mail to deliver the two kits I ordered from  H so I can actually see what you have all been talking about, I pose these observations/questions for your learned consideration:

It looks to me that the location, shape, and downward angle of the gun ports as Sword has molded them is a little off when comparing them to SJ's and TT's excellent photos. Too far aft? Forward port doesn't appear to be  long enough, either. Since it appears that the upper contour of the nose, from the base of the windscreen to the intake is too shallow, the contour of the intake lip itself is a little off, and the nose is a little too long, would this work?

Revise  the gun ports so that they have the correct length, shape, and angle; elongating the forward one will bring it closer to the intake, correcting its location. I'm thinking possibly of cutting the intake from the fuselage, removing a couple of mm from the back, and re-attaching it so that the bottom of the intake is now flush with the bottom of the fuselage; then sanding the upper part of the nose and the intake lip to give the correct shape as well as downward curve to the upper nose. Again, I will wait until I get my hands on both kits to see if this fix would work. Sounds like a lot of trouble and effort for a couple of mm, I know, but the nose of both variants is so distinctive and unique to the navalised Sabres, that it makes a big difference in appearance. What do you all think? (I think Meng or Fujimi both missed a golden opportunity to sell a ton of models- way to go, Sword!)

Regardless, all three releases look to be very, very good kits and will fill the void nicely where 50's era USN jets are concerned- may they sell a ton of them!

Mike

Edited by 72modeler
revised original topic title, added additional text

On ‎10‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 10:32 AM, 72modeler said:

I don't know if this will be a help or a hindrance, but wanted to seek the collective wisdom and guidance of the fraternity before putting glue to plastic. On the subject of the intake, nose, and gun ports, and bearing in mind that I'm still waiting for Her Majesty's Snail Mail to deliver the two kits I ordered from  H so I can actually see what you have all been talking about, I pose these observations/questions for your learned consideration:

It looks to me that the location, shape, and downward angle of the gun ports as Sword has molded them is a little off when comparing them to SJ's and TT's excellent photos. Too far aft? Forward port doesn't appear to be  long enough, either. Since it appears that the upper contour of the nose, from the base of the windscreen to the intake is too shallow, the contour of the intake lip itself is a little off, and the nose is a little too long, would this work?

Revise  the gun ports so that they have the correct length, shape, and angle; elongating the forward one will bring it closer to the intake, correcting its location. I'm thinking possibly of cutting the intake from the fuselage, removing a couple of mm from the back, and re-attaching it so that the bottom of the intake is now flush with the bottom of the fuselage; then sanding the upper part of the nose and the intake lip to give the correct shape as well as downward curve to the upper nose. Again, I will wait until I get my hands on both kits to see if this fix would work. Sounds like a lot of trouble and effort for a couple of mm, I know, but the nose of both variants is so distinctive and unique to the navalised Sabres, that it makes a big difference in appearance. What do you all think? (I think Meng or Fujimi both missed a golden opportunity to sell a ton of models- way to go, Sword!)

Regardless, all three releases look to be very, very good kits and will fill the void nicely where 50's era USN jets are concerned- may they sell a ton of them!

Mike

I don't have the -2 kit and probably will not get it however I will get either the late -3 or 3M. I postulated in an earlier post the possibility of grafting the Emhar nose on the -3/3M as the nose of that kit seems to be more accurate with the proper downward curve and intake lip. I am wondering because of the talk of the fuselage being too long on all of the Sword Fury's, that perhaps the extra length is in the nose. They do seem to be stretched out a bit forward of the windscreen.

5 hours ago, jpk said:

I don't have the -2 kit and probably will not get it however I will get either the late -3 or 3M. I postulated in an earlier post the possibility of grafting the Emhar nose on the -3/3M as the nose of that kit seems to be more accurate with the proper downward curve and intake lip. I am wondering because of the talk of the fuselage being too long on all of the Sword Fury's, that perhaps the extra length is in the nose. They do seem to be stretched out a bit forward of the windscreen.

As best I can tell, the extra length is spread along the breath of the fuselage. More later...