Bostons/Havocs

Ratch

I am planning on building a couple of the Airfix kits.

Looking at my previous research into the Boston, I see that Douglas Boston III (DB-7B’s) were given to 15th Bomb Squadron (Light), 8th USAAF, at Grafton Underwood in a sort of reverse Lend-Lease program. The 15th BS arrived on 14th May 1942, to be trained for low-level bombing operations. Initially they borrowed RAF Bostons (before their own aircraft arrived in August), the squadron left for Molesworth in early June 1942. I haven't found any other information yet. I guess they wore RAF camouflage, possibly with the codes overpainted with Olive Drab and maybe yellow undersurfaces, but this is purely speculation. Can anyone throw any light on this.

Another option is AL496 but I don't have pictorial evidence. I know that the 305th BG had this aircraft at Chelveston from 01-03-43 to 31-03-43. It then moved to Grafton Underwood because the 545th BS 384th BG used it as a training aircraft from 25-05-43 to 16-06-45, it bore the codes JD*W s/n AL496. I would guess that this was similar in appearance to my third and only positive option.

AL381 was at Polebrook with the 305th from May 1944 – 9 June 1945 and was used as a target tug. It was transferred to the 55th FS, 20th FG, at Kingscliffe, from June – October 1945 where it carried the codes KI-E. I was used as a hack and general transport. I have quite a few references for this one while at Kingscliffe.

Any additional information gratefully received.

An earlier shot of AL381 FWIW.

uPwXVz.jpg

And below, from Roger Freeman's The Mighty Eighth In Colour, AL672 - not an aircraft you were inquiring about directly. According to the book it was acquired direct from an RAF contract in Aug 1942, originally equipping the 15th B.S. at Podington.

SYdkbz.jpg

• Thanks 1

Have you seen this photo?

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Douglas_Boston_III_15th_BS_USAAF_in_flight_1942.jpg

And this completed Revell kit?

http://s.webry.info/sp/avimodel.at.webry.info/200812/article_1.html

Camouflage and Markings (USAAF) # 20 on the Douglas A-20  Havoc has more information, from Roger A. Freeman. The 15th used borrowed 226 Squadron aircraft (MQ) on the initial 4th of July raid and received Boston IIIs for its own use in August 1942. The latter were repainted overall Dark Olive Drab or the British equivalent Dark Green with Neutral Grey or similar British shade under surfaces. It is believed that British paints were used as the 8th AF was largely dependent on local materials at that time. Individual "plane in squadron" letters were painted on the nose, in roundel red. Letters were 33" high and 24" wide. The squadron later received additional Bostons that were not repainted save adding the US cocardes.

Also. from Queen of the Midnight Skies, the 15th BS was one of the individual A-20 squadrons (Hawaii, 58th BS, ??BS Panama and I believe one in intended for Alaska and the 15th BS, attached to the 3rd BG in the US.) The presence of the 15th BS in England was because it was redesignated the 1st Pursuit Squadron (Night Fighter) and was to receive training in operating the Turbinlight equipped Havoc!! All flying activities were in two borrowed RAF Bostons and a Tiger Moth. It never received any aircraft of its own. In late May the squadron was redesignated back to its original designation and became a light bombardment squadron again. The book states that the reason for this action is unclear, but apparently during conversations between Gen. Arnold and Churchill, Churchill asked when USAAF bombing missions would start. The author used the term 'needled.' (apologies from me) The 15th was used as B-17 operations would not start for several months. 

A-20 Havoc at War has an account of that first raid along with another small photo, I believe. 

There is a photo of Boston III red 'K' AL 445, 15th BS with a snorting charging bull with TEX on a banner above the bull. This is below the left cockpit and behind the 'K.' This in the Freeman profile #20. 

AL 381 belonged to the 67th Observation Group during the early months of 1943. RAF camo used. 

Grant 

Edited by Gmat
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...