Nostalgia, it's not what it used to be...

11 minutes ago, TonyW said:

It's been a funny old year, one way or another but we are still here, plugging away at the plastic.  Long may it continue.

Have a Happy Xmas and New Year everyone, and remember, as Yaz said... The Only Way is UP!

B17-Xmas-Final.jpg

Tony.

Merry Christmas to you too Tony.

I love all your nostalgia stuff. 

• Thanks 1

Absolutely Phenomenal.   I am sure Some of those Boxes are worth something by Themselves!   I noticed in the first photograph the James Bond Aston Martin DB5....isnt that one of the "LOST" Airfix Molds?   Great cover art.  Does anyone know of a site that would simply have the photos of all these Boxes?  Or should we ask Tony to photograph each and every one of them?!

Thanks again and I am sure you made the day of 50 modelers today with these photos....

• Thanks 1

I've built a small display area in my model building shed. It's not quite the intended full on display shed jobby.  I thought that might happen this year, but there's always next year. My dream shed is taking much longer than I would like, but this mini display area will keep me happy for a while yet.

A couple of grubby pieces of old pegboard got trimmed and hit with a coat or two of yellow household paint. They then got hung across the wall at the back of my storage cabinets. It gives me something model shop like to hang boxes on and I must say, it brightens the place up quite a bit.

Here's a Heller Mvsee Series display that I arranged earlier today.  A few hours trying different layouts took my mind of the outside world for a while and I can see a few more displays going together as the mood takes.

20201224-114211.jpg

20201224-113921.jpg

20201224-114104.jpg

The Heller Group Build has another Month to run here, I'm starting to worry a bit about the kits I'm building there that are not yet done!

Tony.

• Like 15

• 3 months later...

The Heller GB is in the past now, here's my input to the Group Build.

From being a manufacturer that barely registered on my radar, to one I really like and have learned a hell of a lot about.

20210214-143831.jpg

20210214-114942.jpg

20210213-095102.jpg

• Like 15

Using the Heller Constellation as a way of steering the thread back to early Airfix stuff, how about we delve into the Skyking series?

Mainly Airliner subjects and in 1.144 scale. At the time the scale was used to keep the size of the planes small enough to not be too expensive.

Here's the Type 3 issues, Roy Cross classic artwork..

20210413-181811.jpg

There were a multitude of box updates along the way. The original Charles Oats Boeing 707 artwork gave way to the Roy Cross version for instance. The VC10 got three different BOAC boxtops.

20210413-180942.jpg

The Boeing 747 got a whole load of different airlines over the years, but the first one was the BOAC Classic.

20210414-092812.jpg

The Space Rockets were part of the Skyking range, although the Sea King and Lunar Module kit weren't Skykings.

20210414-091825.jpg

I'll add the Hovercraft later, that was also a Skyking!, but to end this instalment, how about this logical progression...  The years separating each kit make the Pan Am Space Liner a rock solid certainty. What happened?

20210414-092607-copy.jpg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, kapam said:

@TonyW, I love the photo of the L749 Connie!

That's a beautiful build! :thumbsup:

Got any more pics of it?

Who am I to refuse a chance to post pictures of a Constellation?

A build that nearly failed as the decals refused to co-operate. The starboard side decals broke up and were replaced with home printed ones and a painted cheat line. 

It's not one of my finer efforts, but careful photography hides most of the dodgy areas. A three footer at best.

20210214-114652.jpg

20210214-115710.jpg

20210214-115026.jpg

There's a long winded build thread here....

• Like 18

21 hours ago, TonyW said:

Who am I to refuse a chance to post pictures of a Constellation?

A build that nearly failed as the decals refused to co-operate. The starboard side decals broke up and were replaced with home printed ones and a painted cheat line. 

It's not one of my finer efforts, but careful photography hides most of the dodgy areas. A three footer at best.

Thanks for the extra pics, I think she's a real beauty!

I had the same kit and eventually decided to go with an aftermarket decal scheme and worked the engines into a more accurate config for the plane in question.

wVpRNkc.jpg

• Like 14

That really is gorgeous Kapam. What did you use for the NMF? The panel effect is great.

(nothing wrong with yours Tony, they could share the same tarmac and look a treat!)

• Like 1

Beautiful, the pair of them !

I remember Connies wearing both those liveries in my spotting days when the Queens Building observation deck was open......a lonnnnng time ago  :o{

Classic builds !

Rog

• Thanks 1

On 14/04/2021 at 23:23, TonyW said:

Using the Heller Constellation as a way of steering the thread back to early Airfix stuff, how about we delve into the Skyking series?

Mainly Airliner subjects and in 1.144 scale. At the time the scale was used to keep the size of the planes small enough to not be too expensive.

Here's the Type 3 issues, Roy Cross classic artwork..

20210413-181811.jpg

There were a multitude of box updates along the way. The original Charles Oats Boeing 707 artwork gave way to the Roy Cross version for instance. The VC10 got three different BOAC boxtops.

20210413-180942.jpg

The Boeing 747 got a whole load of different airlines over the years, but the first one was the BOAC Classic.

20210414-092812.jpg

The Space Rockets were part of the Skyking range, although the Sea King and Lunar Module kit weren't Skykings.

20210414-091825.jpg

I'll add the Hovercraft later, that was also a Skyking!, but to end this instalment, how about this logical progression...  The years separating each kit make the Pan Am Space Liner a rock solid certainty. What happened?

20210414-092607-copy.jpg

I just love these old box arts.

So tempting and just superb compared to todays box arts.

• Like 2

On 4/16/2021 at 7:01 PM, Johnson said:

What did you use for the NMF? The panel effect is great.

@Johnson, thanks for the comments.

My Connie was finished using Alclad polished aluminium over a gloss black base coat.

The "patchwork" effect comes from applying Tamiya Smoke and Modelmaster metallic to various masked panels.

Everyone, sorry for being a little off-topic.

Normal service may now return...….....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

Another thread top up, it's been a while.

Back to basics again, Type 3 Roy Cross Airfix aircraft. Just the box and kit , built as Airfix intended. Sometimes less is more.

20210811-110950.jpg

20210811-112456.jpg

20210811-102903.jpg

20210810-170123.jpg

20210810-144300.jpg

20210810-164532.jpg

Gotta go, something in my eye...

Tony.

• Like 29

On 14/08/2018 at 09:54, TonyW said:

Over in the Golden Years of Airfix Group Build I've got a few early builds underway. The GB is buzzing away with over 100 builds coming together. Take a peek, you might want to join in!

Here's my GB built models so far...

IMG_4914.jpg

IMG_4802.jpg

IMG_5105.jpg

The Lancaster is the 1980 new mould kit with a few added details. The rest are as Airfix intended.

My (very) long term aim is to have a built and unbuilt mint kit of everything Airfix released up to the T6 oval logo boxes. I've got a hell of a long way to go yet!

Amazing thread, that black Hunter was ik fact the first model I ever got. Must be 50 years ago…

• Thanks 1