Nostalgia, it's not what it used to be...

Oh wow... so many memories, and I'm not even 50 yet. 
I do remember that Airfix B-25, 11-year old me built that, had quite a matchbox/Airfix collection going, 20-year old me gave 'em all away 🤐

It is like many others have said a beautiful sight seeing so many classic kits exhibited as they deserve.  And as stated, there is a special feeling when you build one of these - I think they're less stressful to make as the newer ones where you constantly worry about every little detail and (at least me for now) dread starting them out of fear of forgetting something critical.

• Like 4

On 28/11/2019 at 16:19, JosephLalor said:

I'm surprised to hear of Norwood Junction Models for the first time here, long after they closed.  In all the years I lived in Croydon I was never aware of them.  I remember Modeltime on St George's Walk.  I  also recall there being model shops on the upper level of the Whitgift Centre and on Whitehorse Lane up to around the mid '80s.

They used to  be in Portland road near the railway bridge.

Great old shop.

I remember Model Time from the 1960s and the one upstairs in the Whitgift, can't recall the name though.

There was also of course Beattys in North End.

The Croydon Advertiser had this short article about the closure of Norwood Junction Models back in 2014:

THE internet and computer games have been blamed for the closure of a model shop which was about to celebrate its 50 birthday.

Norwood Junction Models (NJM) – based by the railway bridge, in Portland Road – has been run by the Wrigley family since 1963.

But the small store – stocked full of model aircraft, boats, railways and cars – is set to shut on July 28.

Brian Wrigley, 66, who runs the shop, said: "It was a difficult decision. It was heartbreaking.

"The internet has had quite an impact on retail sales, people can just get things online.

"And kids are much more into games consoles and computer games rather than making models – there's not quite as much interest as there used to be."

Brian's father Ronald took over the shop 49 years ago and it is believed a model shop has been based at that site since the 1930s.

Former customers include actor David Jason, who popped in during the 1970s, before he landed the role of Derek Trotter in TV comedy Only Fools And Horses.

Brian said: "On a Saturday, especially in the 1970s, it was really busy and there were queues outside of people waiting to get in the shop.

"Back in the 1970s we were inundated with model shops. But one by one they have shut down."

Ronald Wrigley died in 1980 and his son Warren, now 60, helped to run the shop before being assisted by Brian, when he retired as a civil servant in 1995.

From a small Virgin train in a cabinet to ready-to-make England football figures, the shop has been dubbed an "Aladdin's Cave".

Describing his clientele, Brian said: "It's mainly retired people now. People who go back to a hobby after 30 or 40 years and would like to do something in their spare time, like starting a model railway.

"They even find the shop nostalgic and say 'we didn't think there were any like this left'."

A repair service is also offered and NJM has been helped by Max Longhurst for more than five years on this side of things.

When his brother Warren fell ill just before Christmas last year, Brian felt the time was right to wind down.

On the final day, he plans to have a glass of champagne with his other brother, Graham, who has been assisting the business, to bring an era to a close.

Brian added: "I'd like to say a thank you to all our customers."

• Sad 5

I remember a Birthday money purchase of Airfix's Mauritania around 73/74 after Dad took my to the science museum in Newcastle

where the huge shipwrights model still resides as well as HMS Nelson and a good few other fine ship models as I built it

he  recalled being taken to see her leave the Tyne which must have made him about seven years old at the time couldn't resist

a cheeky punt of an original  boxing the other day on that well known auction site which I'm happy to say is on its way for a mere £12.

• Like 3

On 11/28/2019 at 11:59 AM, TonyW said:

That's Brian Knight. He was the UK Revell artist. He also did a few boxes for Airfix, mainly the soldiers. 

Thank you TonyW.  He's done many of the beautiful paintings that appear on the covers of the Windsock Datafiles also. What a great artist. I have to admit that I am not fond of most of the computer generated art that is so popular today. It's just too artificial and "sterile" - for lack of a better word.  I much prefer a Roy Cross painting on the top of an Airfix box over what they are using today.

Edited by Hobo
  • Like 3

Digging around in my old files I found some pictures taken of a Boys Jolly Day Out From 2011. A few of us visited Russ in Battersea Rise, Comet Miniatures up the road a bit and Norwood Junction Models further up again.

Here's Russ.

I used to buy my models from here in the seventies when I lived in Clapham South.

BDO-July-2011-001.jpg

Comet...

I started using Comet in the early eighties when Tony ran the outfit out of a dingy basement to the side of what later became a three fronted shop. The Sci Fi stuff was upstairs, current kits to the right as you looked at the building and old stuff down in the catacombs. I helped Tony clear out when the shop closed. Bittersweet memories.

BDO-July-2011-005.jpg

And Norwood Junction Models, final port of call for us that day. A very good Jolly that can't be repeated unfortunately, as all three are now closed.

BDO-July-2011-006.jpg

BDO-July-2011-007.jpg

BDO-July-2011-010.jpg

Edited by TonyW
  • Like 14
  • Sad 1

• 3 months later...

If ever we needed a bit of warm nostalgia to wallow in, it's now I guess.

In that case, have a birthday present to yourself, way back in 1958, and don't forget to write Auntie a thank you note...

IMG-1117.jpg

And if you want extra nostalgia with that, try this one...

IMG-1118-copy.jpg

Tony.

Edited by TonyW
  • Like 11

Excellent nostalgia Tony!

I didn't start destroying kits until about 1962. My first (a mistake by my parents really) was an Airfix Tiger Tank. Ended up with it any myself covered in polystyrene cement, aged about 6 the instructions were a bit beyond my grasp. I think I'd have trouble with all those bloomin' wheels even now.

And I've got that book! Somewhere... :huh:

And I hated writing thank-you letters! :fraidnot:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Great post Tony 👍

I love looking at these old kits. That boxing of the Lanc was before my time but is good to see in the flesh so to speak.

I recently picked up a copy of  Enemy Coast Ahead from The Works for less than a fiver, and am reading it at the moment. 

Cheers Greg 

• Like 2

The Airfix B17, A Bit 'O Lace is probably my all time favourite Airfix kit, and I've featured it in this thread more than once. Here it is yet again, I can't get enough of it, so it seems.

This time, it's the eighties black box kit that gets the glory alongside some period references...

IMG-1127.jpg

The eighties seems like yesterday to me and a bit out of place in a nostalgia thread. The kit is only around thirty five years old though. Gulp. Just to get me back in my comfort zone, here's the sixties classic box, yet again.

IMG-1119.jpg

Tony.

Edited by TonyW
  • Like 14

I remember the Fortress which I got as a Christmas present in the mid 1960's, the only time I have built a B17, although I have an Airfix III, Academy B17C and Fortress II in the stash. 

Looking at all the old kits and shops that have gone brings back memories. Anyone remember GeeDee (in their original shop), Skills or Beecrofts in Nottingham? Either GeeDee or Beecrofts had a very posh stall as a branch in the Central Market, where I bought my first Airfix Magazine. 

• Like 1

I remember doing that kit very well. But I didn't have that purpley paint for the tail.

Or the yellow paint,

or the bright green paint,

or the silver paint.

But I did have a dullish green. (probably the wrong shade though.)

It looks like my approach to historical accuracy hasn't changed since then. :blush:

• Haha 3

The 1960's Revell B-17 was my first Fort, with the 1960's Airfix boxing as my second Fort. Since then, I've made B-17's in 1/700, 1/350, 1/144, 1/72, 1/10 and 1/6 scales! That Airfix box art and the 1960's Revell Memphis Belle box art were two of my all time favourites.

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, TonyW said:

The Airfix B17, A Bit 'O Lace is probably my all time favourite Airfix kit, and I've featured it in this thread more than once. Here it is yet again, I can't get enough of it, so it seems.

Just to get me back in my comfort zone, here's the sixties classic box, yet again.

IMG-1119.jpg

Tony

That box art really is on another level, I enjoyed looking at the box more than building the model. I tried to draw it myself but added more blood, bodies falling from the sky and a zillion extra tracers. The teacher didn't like it. 

I was 28 years old 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

For me as a Technical Illustrator it was and remains the Roy Cross artwork that inspired and frustrated me on so many levels. I am full of admiration for the current crop of computer generated artwork, however, nothing, but nothing compares to the handcrafted talent that used to adorn the boxes of plastic that we aspired to so much. To my mind, Airfix was at the forefront of selling their wares from day one and arguably despite numerous lapses, remain so today.

BTW: no wonder you need three benches! a wonderful thread and how did you get that finish on the P47 and the Comet!!

Many thanks,

Mark

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The P47 and Comet were done with S 'n J polishing powder. It is, or rather was, a very fine aluminium powder. You can't get it anymore. I polish in into the bare plastic of the kit, the more you polish, the brighter it gets.

Regarding the Roy Cross artwork, I think it's his best work by far. There's more than a few modellers who bought that kit on the strength of the boxtop. Hasegawa had a stab at the plane in the eighties. Close, but no coconut...

IMG-1120.jpg

Edited by TonyW
  • Like 7

when I was nine, I was asked if I wanted a kit or asked for kit, (I was kit mad) ...anyway, the requested items was a Flying Fortress, meaning of course the Airfix kit.....

For whatever reason mum was not in Lewes,  which only had Airfix in the shops,  but in Seaford or Newhaven, and I was duly presented with a Revell B-17....

I built it of course,  but was sorely disappointed and never did get the Airfix kit...

Back in 2010, i ran across a thread on  Brighton forum about old model shops,  I added my memories, but for anyone who was in the area from the 50's-80's then this thread is well worth a read

https://www.mybrightonandhove.org.uk/places/placeshop/do-you-remember-the-shop/do-you-remember-the-shop

cheers

T

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, Ventora3300 said:

Tony, I just had another read through this 'Nostalgia' thread - great stuff! Can we keep this going throughout the GB? All the best. Mike.

The GB and this thread are made for each other. I'll add what I can.

Tony.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It's been a while since any proper updates here, best I rectify that situation. 

The Big Model Shed hasn't been finished yet and with the current state of the world outside, it won't get done for a while yet. I have given the completed end of the shed a bit of a make over as although it worked as a building area, it needed fine tuning. It's had that and here's how it looks now...

IMG-1109.jpg

Here's the part done building. The building part is the lean too at the far right...

IMG-7391.jpg

Three good sized benches, loads of shelving and storage and good natural lighting from a full length roof window. All home built with mainly reclaimed materials. It's been a lifetime coming and now it's here I'm going to enjoy it!

The building area will be in full swing as the Forum Group Builds are getting a lot of attention from me. The Kits you built as a Kid GB is about to kick off and there's no doubt I'll be contributing there and here with the results. I also have a couple of Lancasters on the go in that GB and I'm looking at the Spitfire GB and an unboxed Airfix 1.24 scale Spitfire thinking I really should throw my hat in there as well. All built as Airfix intended, all perfect for this thread at some point.

Before I get too carried away though, this Stirling is about to be started. It will make an appearance here once done, along with a few others including this Phantom...

IMG-1246.jpg

IMG-1248.jpg

I seem to have a bit of spare time on my hands at the moment, so updates and what nots should appear on a regular basis.

Stay safe and enjoy a bit of modelling if you can.

Tony.

• Like 18